Is the belief in heaven always bad?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2012, 05:26 PM
RE: Is the belief in heaven always bad?
(21-09-2012 09:47 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  I had to put my cat down last night - he'd been a good friend for the last 12 years.

A friend of mine let me know my cat and hers were now frolicking together in heaven. Wanted to say WTF!

Needless to say, old cartoons propagandized this idea:

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Carl Grimes on The Walking Dead thinks so:

18-10-2012, 05:54 PM
(21-09-2012 07:35 AM)darkfire Wrote:  There are some people that I have known, that even if I could have removed their belief in heaven I don’t know if I would have. They seem so scared about death, and even life that I that I don’t know if they could take it. This girl I knew was talking about a family member that died, how much she missed her and that it hurts so much, but at least they can be together in heaven one day.

I know religion has caused harm, I have seen it firsthand. I have seen family members disown each other because of religious differences time and time again. But she held onto that idea, and it gave her comfort… I would not have had the heart to remove her belief in heaven even if I could have.

What are your thoughts on this?

Not sure I can comment on whether or not it is bad. You'd probably need to define "bad" more clearly.

There are many ways to cope with loss. The idea of heaven is only one of them. My favorite is friends and family. Is this not an option for her? Personally, I think it's one of the most effective methods of coping. But I understand there are times when it can be awkward.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
18-10-2012, 11:43 PM
(21-09-2012 07:35 AM)darkfire Wrote:  There are some people that I have known, that even if I could have removed their belief in heaven I don’t know if I would have. They seem so scared about death, and even life that I that I don’t know if they could take it. This girl I knew was talking about a family member that died, how much she missed her and that it hurts so much, but at least they can be together in heaven one day.

I know religion has caused harm, I have seen it firsthand. I have seen family members disown each other because of religious differences time and time again. But she held onto that idea, and it gave her comfort… I would not have had the heart to remove her belief in heaven even if I could have.

What are your thoughts on this?

I have never seen the belief in a lie to have any practical value.
19-10-2012, 01:05 AM
The promise of paradise robs people of the pleasure of living in the present, and that’s a pity. There is a better way to find meaning that doesn’t require belief in half-baked mumbo-jumbo. Who remembers what it was like to be a young child? Picture yourself running around in a playground. We didn’t waste time worrying about God, the afterlife or why we are here. We were too busy exploring every nook and cranny of our world. We were unhindered by our experiences, expressed ourselves openly, and weren’t afraid of being judged. We accepted life with wide-open arms, did not deny our emotions, and weren’t cynical or opinionated. The point is we were authentic, lived in the present, and were thoroughly happy as a result.

I suggest Christians should embrace the here and now. When we do that, the present has more real meaning: the taste of food, a glass of good wine, a friend's smile, a string quartet or a Miles Davis ballad can be enjoyed for what they are and because they are temporary. To experience the pleasure of the present, and to stop worrying about the consequences, can be like coming out of a trance. It is about being receptive to the full gamut of being human, and that definitely helps us feel more alive.

When it turns out there is no god and no afterlife, it won’t matter, because we won’t be alive! We were all “dead” for billions of years before we were born, and it didn’t bother any of us in the slightest.

Life is all about the journey, not the imaginary destination, which is why we don’t need gods, beliefs, and creeds; we need to let them go!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-10-2012, 05:12 AM
The question here is just "Is a comforting lie better then the hard truth?" I would have to say no. I would prefer the truth to a lie, no matter what. I was never really afraid of dying because everything dies, and seeing as it is inevitable, there was nothing to be afraid. As for the death of relatives, if I remember them, then they will always stay with me for as long as I live. That is a comfort, not deceiving myself into thinking we'll be reunited on a cloud somewhere.

"Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and the truth." Kosh Naranek
[+] 2 users Like Vorlon's post
20-10-2012, 11:27 PM
Sorry to hear about your cat, Seasbury. I had to put my 10y.o. dog down last year, and it really sucked. My mom tried to console me by saying the dog and my dad were together again. I also wanted to say WTF...

(19-10-2012 05:12 AM)Vorlon Wrote:  The question here is just "Is a comforting lie better then the hard truth?" I would have to say no. I would prefer the truth to a lie, no matter what. I was never really afraid of dying because everything dies, and seeing as it is inevitable, there was nothing to be afraid. As for the death of relatives, if I remember them, then they will always stay with me for as long as I live. That is a comfort, not deceiving myself into thinking we'll be reunited on a cloud somewhere.
Same. Agreed with all of this. And people are more adaptable than some give them credit for. I bet that a lot of those clinging to their belief in things like heaven would feel bad for a while and then bounce back and find another way to cope, hopefully one that doesn't require any nonsense.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-10-2012, 02:08 AM
Is the belief in heaven always bad?
If telling folks the truth about the end of life inspires them to take their short time here more seriously, is that so bad?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum