Is the bible relevant to you as a non-believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2015, 08:08 PM
Is the bible relevant to you as a non-believer?
Weird question here for all the former believers on this forum: as a non-believer do you ever read the bible (or whatever your former holy scripture was) for any type of inspiration or to work through any problems?

I'd never heard of the Jefferson bible until recently and thought it was a pretty fascinating concept. Include the good stuff but discard the supernatural and bad parts. I know that as former believers many of you likely had treasured verses memorized and called upon them in both good times and bad to help explain what was happening in our daily lives. Now that you don't believe are those words still worthwhile or because the illusion is gone the words have lost all meaning?

Just curious to get people's take on the issue.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Rkane819's post
09-07-2015, 08:15 PM
RE: Is the bible relevant to you as a non-believer?
No, but I do remember passages that are resonant no matter my state of faith.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
09-07-2015, 08:19 PM
I read the Bible first in order to improve my understanding of the western philosophy I began reading when I was 16. In order to understand someone like Nietzsche, for example, I had to understand the references.

It was then that the true horror of it struck me and I began a "crusade" against it. As it were. I studied it over many years in order to effectively fight it. I consider the Abrahamic religions to be amongst the most evil ideas human kind has ever devised.

Outside of my professional career and personal relationships, fighting for reason has been my most cherished goal. I used to be very good at it but my abilities have suffered due to illness.

I studied the KJV. Sadly I never had time to learn both Latin and Greek due to the time it took me to practice in order to become a working professional in my chosen fields. (I had 2 careers at one point) This was doubly sad because through Nietzsche and other authors, I fell in love with ancient literature from Rome and Greece and also from the later middle Latin period.

So yes. The bible has been immensely important upon my life. And I have never been religious. Not at all.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
09-07-2015, 08:31 PM
Not one bit these days.

A few years back around when I was new on this forum and into atheist whatnots. Seeing threads like the skeptics view of the bible. or whatever that thread is called was hilarious and cool to see. And learning quasi interpretative ways of how the stories were formed from documentaries or shows like the Naked Archaeologist made me interested in it.

I tried reading it for a bit but I kept stopping because legitimately it made me break out into laughter so much... I have no desire to read more of it or care at this point anymore. And what the supposed "good" things are aren't often there in a not tinged setting. Well religious people like to say often that's taken out of context... in many cases the contexts makes things worse. Often it makes the good things worse too.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
09-07-2015, 08:35 PM
Quote: Include the good stuff but discard the supernatural and bad parts.

If you edited Darth Vader out of Star Wars it isn't much of a movie.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 4 users Like Minimalist's post
09-07-2015, 08:45 PM
As I have apostatized the bible has become more fun to me then ever. Not as a book inspired by a god but as a mysterious human book that captured the minds of our ancestors. I think it's extremely fascinating and love the biblical criticism aspect of studying now. I'm no scholar but I sure love learning now more than ever.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
09-07-2015, 08:47 PM
(09-07-2015 08:35 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  

This is true. Bowing

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
09-07-2015, 08:48 PM
I read it for the poetry and for the allusions that are in other pieces of literature. I actually read it as written. Very enlightening. Especially the construction of the magic cookie jar. It's fun how much attention they pay to that.
[+] 4 users Like natachan's post
09-07-2015, 08:51 PM
(09-07-2015 08:35 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  

You could also probably edit it well to make Darth Vader seem on the side of the Rebels... he is force choking empire members and such.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
09-07-2015, 08:55 PM
I was about 19 when someone told me about the Psalms of Solomon. That was my first introduction to the bible. I thought hey, that's pretty cool but then I started reading other parts of the bible and realized it was a bunch of shit. After the Psalms of Solomon everything goes downhill from there.

The bible is relevant as a door stop though.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post