Is the bible relevant to you as a non-believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2015, 08:59 PM
RE: Is the bible relevant to you as a non-believer?
It's relevant as being important in the understanding of literature. I don't think one could consider themselves even adequately versed in English literature if one wasn't at least moderately familiar with the KJV.

Outside of literature, I don't pay it much mind. Since it was long ago demonstrated to be of little use as history (scientific or otherwise), why bother?

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheMrBillShow's post
09-07-2015, 09:11 PM
(09-07-2015 08:48 PM)natachan Wrote:  I read it for the poetry and for the allusions that are in other pieces of literature. I actually read it as written. Very enlightening. Especially the construction of the magic cookie jar. It's fun how much attention they pay to that.

Yes, to fully appreciate other literature and music, some knowledge of the Bible is necessary.

"Call me Ishmael."

East of Eden

The Sun Also Rises

Stranger in a Strange Land

A Time to Kill

Chariots of Fire

A River Runs Through It

Inherit the Wind

By the Rivers of Babylon

And many, many more.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
09-07-2015, 10:11 PM
When I was a believer, I had a few scriptures from both the new testament and the book of Mormon that I quite enjoyed. I didn't experience any withdrawls after leaving religion behind. I find there to be many enlightening works, of both the fiction and nonfiction variety.

If someone is seeking a secular viewpoint written in a scriptural style, I strongly recommend taking a look at "The Good Book" by A.C. Grayling.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmic Discourse's post
09-07-2015, 10:16 PM
(09-07-2015 08:08 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  Weird question here for all the former believers on this forum: as a non-believer do you ever read the bible (or whatever your former holy scripture was) for any type of inspiration or to work through any problems?

I'd never heard of the Jefferson bible until recently and thought it was a pretty fascinating concept. Include the good stuff but discard the supernatural and bad parts. I know that as former believers many of you likely had treasured verses memorized and called upon them in both good times and bad to help explain what was happening in our daily lives. Now that you don't believe are those words still worthwhile or because the illusion is gone the words have lost all meaning?

Just curious to get people's take on the issue.

I use the words of the Bible as one of my tools/weapons against fundamentalists, along with other sources on the history of the bible, and that its contents are nuttier than squirrel poo in a pistachio factory.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes Worom's post
09-07-2015, 10:19 PM
I do read the Bible as an atheist, but I look at it as a story book. I also like to read myths and legends from other cultures as well. I do not use the Bible as a how to guide for life like I used to back when I was a Christian.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
09-07-2015, 10:27 PM
I like the pictures! Hobo
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
09-07-2015, 10:33 PM
(09-07-2015 10:27 PM)pablo Wrote:  I like the pictures! Hobo

Lot raped by his daughters.

[Image: 01_gn19_30.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
10-07-2015, 01:10 AM
Don't care for Bible now, there are many more interesting books. If I wan't some fiction I always have Tolkien, Bible can't compare with him.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
10-07-2015, 02:15 AM
I'm happy to have read the Bible, it gives me so much... cultural stuff. Especially KJV, has so much stuff in it that, like Shakespeare, is kinda woven into English language and culture. Good to know where it comes from. Also enables one to make references and allusions to it... And essential tool for causing shit with believers Big Grin Nothing enrages them quite like having awkward verses quoted at them...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
10-07-2015, 03:34 AM
(09-07-2015 08:55 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  The bible is relevant as a door stop though.

We're using it as kindling for the fire because we don't get any free newspapers delivered.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post