Is the bible relevant to you as a non-believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2015, 04:33 AM
RE: Is the bible relevant to you as a non-believer?
I read the Bible as literature, for the language and the stories. I love the KJV for the language. I don't read it for guidance or inspiration. Without some familiarity with the Bible, you don't fully understand a lot of other great books, music, etc., because there are so many references to it. The same holds true for things like the Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid, etc.

It's been years since I physically opened a Bible, but as a preacher's kid I read the book multiple times as I was growing up, memorized large portions of it, and studied it in from the critical/literary POV while in college, so it is still very much in my head.

As a musician, I wind up playing or singing Bible texts frequently, and if the music is great, I very much enjoy those performances. So I get a fair amount of enjoyment from the Bible, none of it religious.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
10-07-2015, 04:43 AM
(09-07-2015 08:08 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  Weird question here for all the former believers on this forum: as a non-believer do you ever read the bible (or whatever your former holy scripture was) for any type of inspiration or to work through any problems?

I'd never heard of the Jefferson bible until recently and thought it was a pretty fascinating concept. Include the good stuff but discard the supernatural and bad parts. I know that as former believers many of you likely had treasured verses memorized and called upon them in both good times and bad to help explain what was happening in our daily lives. Now that you don't believe are those words still worthwhile or because the illusion is gone the words have lost all meaning?

Just curious to get people's take on the issue.

The bible was demoted to a mere book of myth after I stopped believing. In fact it's not even a very good book of myth, The Lord of The Rings trilogy is far superior in terms of entertainment value and as a pure literary achievement.

As an atheist, I had curiosity about who wrote the bible and why. When you understand it was a bunch of myths used to control people and denigrate rival groups, then it jumps out of the pages at you. It screams at you at how absurd it is, now I see the doublets, I see the literary devices, I see the snarky, small-minded nature of the writers.

You quickly realize that these small-minded barbaric religious zealots have very little relevant to say about life and what little that may be relevant has to be taken with heaping spoonfuls of salt.

It's better to pick up a more modern book without all of the barbaric attitudes and customs. I care nothing about people's insane biblical interpretations, if they quote the bible, it automatically disqualifies whatever they say to me.

After having been on this forum almost a year, I assure you, the word insane is an understatement. The bible seems to be the springboard for mentally and emotionally disturbed people to generate their dangerously demented worldviews.
They find comfort within it's pages and the alternate universe they create for themselves. Some of them can waste their lives within their insane delusions, but there are others that are a danger to themselves and others around them that need professional help, but since they think Jesus is on their side, they won't get the help they need -but they will get on this forum under "god's direction" and spew their insanity for the world to see.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 6 users Like TheInquisition's post
10-07-2015, 04:49 AM
Jeez Inquisition, that was a bit unexpected...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
10-07-2015, 06:54 AM
It is still relevant as most of the people I interact with are believers. It helps to understand the book to better understand them. It also reminds me of their incredible state of delusion.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
10-07-2015, 07:59 AM
It's relevant in that it's where we can look to find out where it is that followers of the Bible are getting their ideas...the rules they think all of us must follow. Other than that, it's literature - fiction, that's not very well written.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
10-07-2015, 08:53 AM
I like drawing cocks and balls in the bibles in hotel rooms.
[+] 2 users Like TheStraightener's post
10-07-2015, 09:00 AM
Yes, and No.

Yes, I've been reading the Skeptic Annotated Bible, and I watch (listen) to The Bible Reloaded, and The Bible Skeptic on YouTube.

This is a drastic difference from when I was younger and was told what chapters to read. Or was told what the passages meant. So I would say I "read" the bible now more then ever.

But never for moral inspiration. Ether just for laugh's or to better understand why I don't adhere to this belief system.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
10-07-2015, 09:00 AM
(10-07-2015 04:33 AM)julep Wrote:  I read the Bible as literature, for the language and the stories. I love the KJV for the language. I don't read it for guidance or inspiration. Without some familiarity with the Bible, you don't fully understand a lot of other great books, music, etc., because there are so many references to it. The same holds true for things like the Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid, etc.

It's been years since I physically opened a Bible, but as a preacher's kid I read the book multiple times as I was growing up, memorized large portions of it, and studied it in from the critical/literary POV while in college, so it is still very much in my head.

As a musician, I wind up playing or singing Bible texts frequently, and if the music is great, I very much enjoy those performances. So I get a fair amount of enjoyment from the Bible, none of it religious.

Yeah, verily forsooth I say unto thee. Tongue
I like it cuz it's a record of one group of priests trying to insult another group of priests.
You get that, you get the Old Testament.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
10-07-2015, 09:04 AM
(10-07-2015 09:00 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yeah, verily forsooth I say unto thee. Tongue
I like it cuz it's a record of one group of priests trying to insult another group of priests.
You get that, you get the Old Testament.

Quote:So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.

Say no to public urination.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-07-2015, 09:40 AM
Relevant? No.

Intrusive on my life - because a bunch of devout dweebs continually blather on about it to our legislators, who feel compelled to pass laws that favor Jebusheads???? A resounding fuck yes....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post