Is the bible relevant to you as a non-believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2015, 10:29 AM
RE: Is the bible relevant to you as a non-believer?
(10-07-2015 08:53 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  I like drawing cocks and balls in the bibles in hotel rooms.

Now that's funny Laugh out load
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
10-07-2015, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2015 12:07 PM by kim.)
I Personally like and study literature to get an impression of culture, philosophy, geography, and to study how the general expressions of those fit into an historic timeframe. And I enjoy poetry, which I consider the Bible to be -a prosaic commentary and poetic work.

The Bible is a work of literature but, it is just one expression of many ideas contemporary to it's timeframes... people forget there are other sources. It is disturbing to me that other literary & historic sources are ignored and even discounted, in favor of a single prosaic work.

It's enjoyable to read and some passages are quite well expressed but, it's relevance to me personally, has always ever been for reference or allusion. It might be philosophically inspiring but so is Star Trek. I try not to base my life on fiction.

I've never been a believer so ... meh, I'd rather read Egyptian hieroglyphs. They are much older and often, more accurately depict contemporary life of the time. Plus, many hieroglyphs are accompanied by pictorial narative - it's like reading a comic book! Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
10-07-2015, 11:54 AM
The Bible has no relevance at all for me as it pertains to beliefs. However, as others have said:

1. Some of it is great literature (particularly Job and Ecclesiastes).

2. Much English literature quotes or alludes to the KJV. In a sense, you can't really call yourself "literate" unless you are familiar with it.

3. Much of Western philosophy is dependent in some way on the Bible, if only as a refutation of it.

4. When confronted by evangelistic theists, it's very handy to know their holy book as well as they do (or even better than they do).

For all these reasons and others, I do still read the Bible from time to time.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
10-07-2015, 12:15 PM
Anything a large portion of the world believes in is relevant since survival, or at least success, is often dependent on being able to influence these people.

Like, it's completely irrational for rodents to follow the sound of a magical pipe. But understanding this tendency and learning how to put it to use allowed the Pied Piper to deal with all those annoying rats nonetheless. And the village's children too, but that's a different problem.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
10-07-2015, 02:21 PM
(09-07-2015 10:19 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I do read the Bible as an atheist, but I look at it as a story book. I also like to read myths and legends from other cultures as well. I do not use the Bible as a how to guide for life like I used to back when I was a Christian.

And you are totally right to do so. And then you get to stuff like this:

Quote:"Every one that is found shall be thrust through; and every one that is joined unto them shall fall by the sword. Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished." (Isaiah 13:15-16)

so that you can then ask yourself, "what kind of sick motherfucker writes shit like this?"

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
10-07-2015, 06:00 PM
(10-07-2015 10:29 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(10-07-2015 08:53 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  I like drawing cocks and balls in the bibles in hotel rooms.

Now that's funny Laugh out load

Hahaha. Love it.

This gives me an idea. Next time I'm in a hotel room I'm gonna write several lines of sex from the Psalms of Solomon .

"He shall lie all night betwixt my breasts. We have a little sister, and she hath no breasts ... But my breasts [are] like towers.

Thy navel is like a round goblet, which wanteth not liquor: thy belly is like an heap of wheat set about with lilies.

The joints of thy thighs are like jewels." Ahhhhhh. Yes! Yes! Yea! O god, O god YEEEEES!!!!

That was relevant don't you think?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
10-07-2015, 11:30 PM
I still read the Red Letters of the New Testament and marvel at how far the Christians missed the fucking point.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-07-2015, 09:35 PM
In my case, I don't read Quran because I don't want to know how great and merciful god can torture you in different ways afterlife.
12-07-2015, 12:52 AM

Circumcised or no???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
12-07-2015, 12:56 AM
(12-07-2015 12:52 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  

Circumcised or no???

Uncircumcised would just look like a picture of half an elephant. Dodgy
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post