Is the concept of prophecy exclusively religious?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2015, 05:24 AM
RE: Is the concept of prophecy exclusively religious?
Predictions are pulled from the minds of thoughtful individuals. Prophecies are pulled out of the asses of charlatans.

As that "prophets" are spoon fed information by some divine sky daddy --- one can assume any "prophecy" to be woo.............

Predictions are not prophecy - but guesses at a likely outcome based on how historical trends affect situational information.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2015, 05:59 AM
(20-11-2015 05:24 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Predictions are pulled from the minds of thoughtful individuals. Prophecies are pulled out of the asses of charlatans.

As that "prophets" are spoon fed information by some divine sky daddy --- one can assume any "prophecy" to be woo.............

Predictions are not prophecy - but guesses at a likely outcome based on how historical trends affect situational information.

Agreed.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
20-11-2015, 09:40 AM
(20-11-2015 05:14 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 05:10 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  A lot of the first Greek philosophers did not relate discussions of divination to religion.

Anixamander, Parminedes etc.

I cannot honestly remember. What prophesy's did they fortel?

I mostly recall the plays and histories. Jeez I would have read Anaximander 30 odd years ago.

I'll have to look into it when I'm off work for you, I think I have a lot of info on it in my folders from a year or two ago.

One example of prophecy that wasn't religious was Thales (I would argue against my own point that this wasn't a prophecy and rather just a prediction).

Through this threat I've confused and contradicted my own view on the subject. Must do some more reading!

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
20-11-2015, 09:42 AM
(20-11-2015 05:24 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Predictions are pulled from the minds of thoughtful individuals. Prophecies are pulled out of the asses of charlatans.

I'd have to agree. I don't remember what the point was that I was trying to make. I have such a confusing trail of though DOH !

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.