Is the double slit experiment the mind game with Holy Spirit?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
02-10-2016, 11:11 AM
RE: Is the double slit experiment the mind game with Holy Spirit?
(30-09-2016 12:37 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  A few moments before heading off to work....

(30-09-2016 12:03 PM)theBorg Wrote:  My soul feels the presence of Holy Spirit: 1) I hate to sin, 2) He gave me comfort.

So,

1) What is a 'Soul' ? Consider

2) What is 'Sin' ? Consider ( I do believe Mathilda has already been asking about this? )

3) "He gave you comfort" ? 'Who' gave you comfort? 'How' did they give you this comfort? So what. Why should others care about this comfort you've been given?

Thumbsup

Much cheers to all.
Are not many here in a seaming perpetual state of discomfort on some very real level?

Consider

Peace

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2016, 11:41 AM
(02-10-2016 11:11 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(30-09-2016 12:37 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  A few moments before heading off to work....

So,

1) What is a 'Soul' ? Consider

2) What is 'Sin' ? Consider ( I do believe Mathilda has already been asking about this? )

3) "He gave you comfort" ? 'Who' gave you comfort? 'How' did they give you this comfort? So what. Why should others care about this comfort you've been given?

Thumbsup

Much cheers to all.
Are not many here in a seaming perpetual state of discomfort on some very real level?

Consider

Peace

In terms of a percentage probably as many as those I have met, in a similar sized group, who are in real discomfort because they think they have committed some act or thought their religion tells them is "sinful".

Theists are controlled by fear and the thought that, if they are christian, all will be ok for the rest of eternity just so long as they believe in a legendary figure.

Although I was never a theist, even as a kid, it is because of at least one theist that I suffer some "discomfort" now. A whole life spoiled by a religious person.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
02-10-2016, 12:11 PM
(02-10-2016 11:09 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(30-09-2016 12:30 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  You give no basis for attribution. Emotions can arise from all sorts of places not immediately recognizable to the conscious mind. Simply calming oneself to pray, for example, may have a variety of physiological or culturally conditioned effects that you feel as comfort. Upbringing or natural empathy can instill in you a dislike for or guilt over what you call sin. And even if we ignore natural causes, there's a host of other religions and belief systems, all with their own gods, spirits, or other agents of emotional influence to offer. On what basis in evidence do you identify these as being caused by the Christian Holy Spirit, rather than any of the other possible explanations?
You insert the word Christian.

In there is your folly in logic.

It is that different righteous spirit and is in no way limited to an orthodox Christian or a hypocrite.

Not in any way saying that anyone is a hypocrite.

Peace

To clarify, by "Christian Holy Spirit" I meant "whatever thing Christians refer to as the Holy Spirit". It was meant as a point of reference, rather than an implication of exclusivity. It's a bit akin to me describing the city I live in as my city, when in fact is also other peoples' city.

... also, that is not the least bit relevant to the logic. You could strike the word "Christian" from that post and it would be nearly the same question, though with some vagueness about whether supernatural beliefs from other religions (or no religions) fall under the umbrella. It still amounts to the same challenge -- to present the reasons that he attributes those particular experiences to that particular cause.

That said, this question was directed at Borgy (he's still yet to answer it), and he's shown a very proprietary attitude towards divinity, insisting it is the soul property of Christianity and in particular Eastern Orthodoxy, though I'm still a bit vague about how alienated from truth or God or whatever he regards non-Orthodox Christians as being. So while I don't assert that the Holy Spirit is solely associated with Eastern Orthodoxy, or solely associated with Christianity, or even that it exists at all, I will feel free to inquire about the origins of HIS beliefs on the topic. This was not an inquiry into or representation of YOUR beliefs, which I know are different and would not represent in that manner.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
02-10-2016, 01:42 PM
(02-10-2016 11:41 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(02-10-2016 11:11 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Are not many here in a seaming perpetual state of discomfort on some very real level?

Consider

Peace

In terms of a percentage probably as many as those I have met, in a similar sized group, who are in real discomfort because they think they have committed some act or thought their religion tells them is "sinful".

Theists are controlled by fear and the thought that, if they are christian, all will be ok for the rest of eternity just so long as they believe in a legendary figure.

Although I was never a theist, even as a kid, it is because of at least one theist that I suffer some "discomfort" now. A whole life spoiled by a religious person.
What? Christians aren't supposed to live in fear or be hypocrites. The atheist who leads a moral life is safer than such.

Peace

02-10-2016, 01:45 PM
(02-10-2016 12:11 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(02-10-2016 11:09 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  You insert the word Christian.

In there is your folly in logic.

It is that different righteous spirit and is in no way limited to an orthodox Christian or a hypocrite.

Not in any way saying that anyone is a hypocrite.

Peace

To clarify, by "Christian Holy Spirit" I meant "whatever thing Christians refer to as the Holy Spirit". It was meant as a point of reference, rather than an implication of exclusivity. It's a bit akin to me describing the city I live in as my city, when in fact is also other peoples' city.

... also, that is not the least bit relevant to the logic. You could strike the word "Christian" from that post and it would be nearly the same question, though with some vagueness about whether supernatural beliefs from other religions (or no religions) fall under the umbrella. It still amounts to the same challenge -- to present the reasons that he attributes those particular experiences to that particular cause.

That said, this question was directed at Borgy (he's still yet to answer it), and he's shown a very proprietary attitude towards divinity, insisting it is the soul property of Christianity and in particular Eastern Orthodoxy, though I'm still a bit vague about how alienated from truth or God or whatever he regards non-Orthodox Christians as being. So while I don't assert that the Holy Spirit is solely associated with Eastern Orthodoxy, or solely associated with Christianity, or even that it exists at all, I will feel free to inquire about the origins of HIS beliefs on the topic. This was not an inquiry into or representation of YOUR beliefs, which I know are different and would not represent in that manner.
His beliefs and mine are quite similar I'm sure, though he may refute this. I'll stay out of it.

Peace

02-10-2016, 05:34 PM
(02-10-2016 09:13 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(02-10-2016 01:56 AM)Chas Wrote:  Numbers 3 and 6 rather assume the existence of a god.
And, at the very least, #6 says "Don't offend the delusional".

Six assumes the existence, but doesn't impose such belief. (We could get into the conversation about what constitutes "cursing G-d", and whether or not that action is simply saying the words, "Damn you, G-d!"). The third is only assuming that the person may wish to worship a god, and it tries to direct people's actions away from idolatry, which at the time these were written, often meant human sacrifice. It still doesn't say that you must worship or that you must believe.

Whether you like or appreciate the rules, the rules do not show that Judaism wants to try to compel everyone to become a theist. Judaism doesn't have a problem with atheism, it has a problem with bad behavior, ie: sin. What Judaism may say is bad behavior may be different than what you say is bad behavior, but the seven rules are still about a person's behavior and not their beliefs.

You seem to be arguing against things I did not assert. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2016, 08:05 PM
(02-10-2016 11:11 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Are not many here in a seaming perpetual state of discomfort on some very real level?

Consider

Peace

Hello Pops!

No.. I'm not at some perpetual state of discomfort. Thumbsup

Though, if you want to discuss with dear Borg about which of you has the right deity, be my guest. Thumbsup

Cheers Pops. Hug
02-10-2016, 08:30 PM
(02-10-2016 01:42 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(02-10-2016 11:41 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  In terms of a percentage probably as many as those I have met, in a similar sized group, who are in real discomfort because they think they have committed some act or thought their religion tells them is "sinful".

What? Christians aren't supposed to live in fear or be hypocrites. The atheist who leads a moral life is safer than such.

Peace

PTB, is English your second language? I am having trouble telling if you are a theist or an atheist.

Your words above could be straight or sarcastic, difficult for me to tell.

Theists, christians especially, can be as human - with all the human problems and faults - as any other person. That is acceptable and understandable if they are honest about them. But when they are hypocrites they can go off the scale. Preists who preach morality and abstenance rather than contraception and then sodomise little boys or those who preach peace, then bless the warriors going off to battle, being amongst the worst.

Give me a vicious person who is always a vicious person rather than a theist who is "good" only when he or she wants or needs to be. I can trust the former.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
02-10-2016, 08:56 PM
(02-10-2016 09:13 AM)Aliza Wrote:  ......... the seven rules are still about a person's behavior and not their beliefs.

How this correlates with:
Quote:3. Do not worship false gods.

???? So, if a person is pagan, he does not believe in idols?
02-10-2016, 09:02 PM
(02-10-2016 09:44 AM)Jesster Wrote:  ....... I could use it to assume that all gods were false. ........
All gods, who are false, are in fact the false.
The True God can not be false.