Is the future predetermined?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Physics says, well, maybe, possibly, yes...

Physics suggests that the future is already set in stone

There's a BBC video on the page that's almost 6 minutes long. Take the time & watch it, it's pretty cool stuff.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2017, 07:14 PM
Yes it is. 1 trillion in debt. 40 thousand of debt per man, child and woman in Canada. No balanced budget until 2051. That's my children's future after our prime minister has completed his spending spree. This imbecile has to go. I read today most Americans would like to trade Canada PM for trump. We don't want him either. But we will gladly give you Justin Trudeau. You can actually have this arsehole for free. Please someone take him off our hands. He is worse than his father PET. That's pretty fucking bad. PET. Worst PM we ever had. Next to the other rhino dick Jean Chr├ętien. Another huge left spender who ran us aground. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07-02-2017, 08:21 PM
RE: Is the future predetermined?
On a macro scale yes, on a micro scale no.

#sigh
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-02-2017, 08:35 PM
The atoms in my body were pre-arranged to make this post. Sorry, I had no choice in the matter.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 5 users Like cactus's post
08-02-2017, 06:49 AM
(07-02-2017 07:14 PM)Goosesniper Wrote:  Yes it is. 1 trillion in debt. 40 thousand of debt per man, child and woman in Canada. No balanced budget until 2051. That's my children's future after our prime minister has completed his spending spree. This imbecile has to go. I read today most Americans would like to trade Canada PM for trump. We don't want him either. But we will gladly give you Justin Trudeau. You can actually have this arsehole for free. Please someone take him off our hands. He is worse than his father PET. That's pretty fucking bad. PET. Worst PM we ever had. Next to the other rhino dick Jean Chr├ętien. Another huge left spender who ran us aground. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ummm... this is a science area. Perhaps you might try re-posting this in the political section.

BTW... it was under Chretien that the Canadian deficit actually shrank after Mulroney bloated government spending. But, again, that's for the politics thread.
[+] 5 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
08-02-2017, 06:53 AM
(08-02-2017 06:49 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  But, again, that's for the politics thread.

What are you? Some kind of radical leftist?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
08-02-2017, 06:55 AM
Assuming that the future is predetermined implies that there's some organizational force in the universe that shapes events.

If there is such a force, the results of the US presidential election show this force to be either retarded or sadistic......

I'm betting on shit happening at random.

Because things are looking pretty fucking random about now...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
08-02-2017, 06:57 AM
(08-02-2017 06:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(08-02-2017 06:49 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  But, again, that's for the politics thread.

What are you? Some kind of radical leftist?

Radical pragmatist. Not interested in left vs right, I'm interested in what actually works. I'm funny like that.
[+] 4 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
08-02-2017, 07:01 AM
(08-02-2017 06:57 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(08-02-2017 06:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  What are you? Some kind of radical leftist?

Radical pragmatist. Not interested in left vs right, I'm interested in what actually works. I'm funny like that.

How dare you! Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
08-02-2017, 07:17 AM
(08-02-2017 06:57 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(08-02-2017 06:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  What are you? Some kind of radical leftist?

Random is just a substitute for unknown causes. Think of it like dark matter. We know there's something there, we just don't have a very good grasp of it.

Randomness is unpredictability. Once we understand the processes behind an event we call random it's no longer random.

When we say certain aspects of the universe are random in nature we are merely saying we don't understand their causes well enough and therefore can't predict their effects. It doesn't free you from recognizing the necessarily deterministic nature of everything.

Just try and think of a truly 'random' event. What would it look like? The popular philosophical misconception is it would be completely chaotic, nothing acting on it, it just happens in a vacuum from everything else, in a sense. Now tell me, does that really sound plausible to you? That would have to mean said event is not a part of this universe, for how else can it escape the other events acting on it, such as the physical laws, in a wider sense? And if something can and does influence it then it's not fully random. But where does the buck stop? Where do we say, here, this part of it does not interact with any other part of our universe and therefore its random? Wouldn't that part, by definition, be simply non-existent since it's not available to us as information in any way? There's no way you can spin this to make it exist independently of anything else. You could say we just don't know how to reach that information(yet), but this goes back to my argument that randomness is just another way for saying we don't know.