Is the new Testament Reliable

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2012, 05:04 AM
Is the new Testament Reliable

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
13-06-2012, 04:23 PM
RE: Is the new Testament Reliable
Nice vid. This guy rocks.
So, it's all made up from hearsay and rumor, hundreds of years after the fact. No shit!
Is this something the religious leaders don't know? It's not. They do. But, it's a business.
Sell them the BS and will your pockets. What a life. A fool and his money are soon parted.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
13-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Why yes, I enjoy paper mache crafts! Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
13-06-2012, 07:12 PM
I thought it was an impressively concise and compelling summary. I haven't independently researched his individual claims, so like anything I'll keep a dose of doubt in my back pocket... but yes.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
13-06-2012, 08:03 PM
(13-06-2012 05:04 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  

What of inerrant claims by Jesus over 2000 years ago, if he existed at all. No tape recorders for the apostles then.

If heaps of weird claims were made thousands of years ago, further distortions dont seem to matter.

Distorted beliefs x further distortions = Distortion. Q.E.D.Smartass
14-06-2012, 07:08 AM
Just take the NT, and insert the word "Iliad" in its' place.

Is the Iliad as we have it reliable?

Same arguments, the only difference being that nobody in recent times has suggested the Iliad was "the Word of God." So you don't have stupid debates over whether our copies are faithful to the autographs.
[+] 1 user Likes Blood's post
14-06-2012, 07:10 AM
(13-06-2012 04:23 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Nice vid. This guy rocks.
So, it's all made up from hearsay and rumor, hundreds of years after the fact. No shit!
Is this something the religious leaders don't know? It's not. They do. But, it's a business.
Sell them the BS and will your pockets. What a life. A fool and his money are soon parted.
The only thing I disagree with is "hundreds of years after the fact."

That assumes "facts" at the core, and that's granting way too much credibility.

More like, people just made it up as they went along, retrojecting their stories into the past the whole time.
[+] 1 user Likes Blood's post
15-06-2012, 03:17 PM
(14-06-2012 07:10 AM)Blood Wrote:  
(13-06-2012 04:23 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Nice vid. This guy rocks.
The only thing I disagree with is "hundreds of years after the fact."

That assumes "facts" at the core, and that's granting way too much credibility.

More like, people just made it up as they went along, retrojecting their stories into the past the whole time.

Yep. Making up the past as you go along.
The more time between the events and the story of the events the harder to disprove the events.
If this was such a "game changing event" the Jews and the Romans would have become christians instantly.
Everyone who could write would have written about it. Not just one guy 70 years later and one paragraph.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
15-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Yes - I can reliably start a camp fire with its pages. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-06-2012, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2012 07:49 PM by Scarlet Pimpernel.)
(14-06-2012 07:08 AM)Blood Wrote:  Just take the NT, and insert the word "Iliad" in its' place.

Is the Iliad as we have it reliable?

Same arguments, the only difference being that nobody in recent times has suggested the Iliad was "the Word of God." So you don't have stupid debates over whether our copies are faithful to the autographs.

Homer's Iliad – written in the 8th or 9th century BC, i.o.w. well over a thousand years before the bible was scrapbooked together by Constantine's minions – had for many centuries, even millennia, been regarded to be a myth, a fictional story involving gods. Only since Heinrich Schliemann's find and excavation of Troy and Mycenae, in the 1870's, did that view change, when scholars realised that the Iliad was an embellished account of a true historical event, penned by the author 3 or 4 centuries after the fact.