Is the new Testament Reliable

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2012, 07:55 PM
RE: Is the new Testament Reliable
(15-06-2012 07:43 PM)Scarlet Pimpernel Wrote:  
(14-06-2012 07:08 AM)Blood Wrote:  Just take the NT, and insert the word "Iliad" in its' place.

Is the Iliad as we have it reliable?

Same arguments, the only difference being that nobody in recent times has suggested the Iliad was "the Word of God." So you don't have stupid debates over whether our copies are faithful to the autographs.

Homer's Iliad – written in the 8th or 9th century BC, i.o.w. well over a thousand years before the bible was scrapbooked together by Constantine's minions – had for many centuries, even millennia, been regarded to be a myth, a fictional story involving gods. Only since Heinrich Schliemann's find and excavation of Troy and Mycenae, in the 1870's, did that view change, when scholars realised that the Iliad was an embellished account of a true historical event, penned by the author 3 or 4 centuries after the fact.
It only became regarded as a myth in modern times. It's still regarded as mostly if not entirely mythical.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2012, 10:43 PM
I would like to point out that the earliest manuscript of John is 35 years later and john could be considered an eyewitness. Also our earliest Manuscript of Almost all greek historians are 1000-1500 years old

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
16-06-2012, 10:01 AM
(15-06-2012 10:43 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I would like to point out that the earliest manuscript of John is 35 years later and john could be considered an eyewitness. Also our earliest Manuscript of Almost all greek historians are 1000-1500 years old
35 years later than what? No one knows when "John" was first written. And what you are referring to is not a "manuscript," but a business card sized fragment. Similar fragments exist for the Iliad.

People saved NT manuscripts because they had good reason to do so. It was "the word of God." There was no reason to save Greek historical writing, it was too ordinary. People prefer stories about magic wizards they can psychically interact with over dry historical writing limited to facts. People today would rather watch superhero movies than read "The New England Journal of Medicine." Two thousand years from now, vastly more copies of "Spider Man" DVDs will have survived than any contemporary history book.
[+] 1 user Likes Blood's post
16-06-2012, 01:20 PM
(16-06-2012 10:01 AM)Blood Wrote:  People saved NT manuscripts because they had good reason to do so. It was "the word of God." There was no reason to save Greek historical writing, it was too ordinary. People prefer stories about magic wizards they can psychically interact with over dry historical writing limited to facts. People today would rather watch superhero movies than read "The New England Journal of Medicine." Two thousand years from now, vastly more copies of "Spider Man" DVDs will have survived than any contemporary history book.

Agreed. Human culture is very much an invention of itself, and that invention and re-invention takes place all along the way. It is what causes such difficulty and confusion. Culturally, there is very little historical accuracy of significance for the human psyche to cling to. We make shit up. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein