Is the shit going to hit the fan in Spain??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2015, 07:57 AM
Is the shit going to hit the fan in Spain??
This should be interesting to watch.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/no...government

One has to wonder if Spain will allow this secession, or if it will lead to an armed confrontation???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2015, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2015 08:49 AM by yakherder.)
RE: Is the shit going to hit the fan in Spain??
(09-11-2015 07:57 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  This should be interesting to watch.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/no...government

One has to wonder if Spain will allow this secession, or if it will lead to an armed confrontation???

Hard to predict that kind of thing. When armed conflict happens over a secession, it's usually over disagreements as to which resources belong to who, because it's not always clear cut, not because either side actually gives a shit about the other side.

(Edit: I like to think of the concept of secession in terms of a divorce. It certainly can go smoothly, but if you're got a shared house and a car and a bunch of pets, and can't come to an agreement as to what belongs to who, especially if one of the two parties is inherently more well off than the other, it might come to blows. Tongue)

That said, I wouldn't pay it too much attention until a vote actually does happen. Québec votes for secession all the time, but it has more to do with appeasing the locals than because the politicians actually think it's going to happen. Heck there's even an insignificant movement in Vermont to leave the U.S. and join Québec in their secession and form a new Québec-Vermont country lol. Similar secession movements exist in Texas, California, Alaska, etc...

I won't say it couldn't happen, but the fact that politicians trying to appeal to local voters who don't see the bigger picture hold such elections to achieve their support isn't necessarily a reliable indicator.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
09-11-2015, 08:34 AM
Talks about a referendum have been around since forever in Catalonia. It's just tiny steps for now, but I guess someday they will achieve it.

I doubt it could lead to an armed confrontation. No one would want that.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
09-11-2015, 08:53 AM
I've heard of the Basque Separatists but I've not heard of these folks.

Definitely interesting.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
09-11-2015, 09:31 AM
(09-11-2015 08:53 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  I've heard of the Basque Separatists but I've not heard of these folks.

Definitely interesting.
Barcelona is full of separatist Catalan flags, it is much bigger movement the Basque separatists.
Throughout the history Spain has fucked Catalonia many times, goes back to Bourbon and Habsburg dynasties , most recently during the Franco`s regime when Catalan language was outlawed.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
09-11-2015, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2015 09:50 AM by cjlr.)
As small-minded as their Quebecois and Scottish compatriots. And given that likewise, support for independence might barely crack 50%... That's a recipe for a bitter, divided society no matter what happens. Quebec is only now coming out of that hangover.

The Spanish constitution is a relic and a more federal model would solve a lot of people's problems. Not that that's any likelier to change.

... this is my signature!
09-11-2015, 09:49 AM
(09-11-2015 09:31 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Throughout the history Spain has fucked Catalonia many times, goes back to Bourbon and Habsburg dynasties , most recently during the Franco`s regime when Catalan language was outlawed.

Not... so much, really. If you pick and choose your history you can make out as though any part of any large, diverse country has been "fucked" by the central government.

09-11-2015, 10:10 AM
(09-11-2015 08:34 AM)yakherder Wrote:  That said, I wouldn't pay it too much attention until a vote actually does happen. Québec votes for secession all the time, but it has more to do with appeasing the locals than because the politicians actually think it's going to happen.

Technically, Québec votes on secession all the time, but never for it. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-11-2015, 10:14 AM
(09-11-2015 10:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-11-2015 08:34 AM)yakherder Wrote:  That said, I wouldn't pay it too much attention until a vote actually does happen. Québec votes for secession all the time, but it has more to do with appeasing the locals than because the politicians actually think it's going to happen.

Technically, Québec votes on secession all the time, but never for it. Drinking Beverage

I don't think "once thirty-five years ago and once twenty years ago" is really all the time, is it?

09-11-2015, 10:19 AM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2015 10:25 AM by yakherder.)
(09-11-2015 10:14 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(09-11-2015 10:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  Technically, Québec votes on secession all the time, but never for it. Drinking Beverage

I don't think "once thirty-five years ago and once twenty years ago" is really all the time, is it?

Yes. At least as compared to other states and provinces in stable, first world countries. Of course, I'm biased as a foreigner who doesn't give a damn about what I consider to be quaint local politics Tongue The other hot issue is the protection of the French language. Heck, they can change the official language to Esperanto for all I care.

'Murican Canadian