Is there a TTA FAQ?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
03-03-2017, 06:49 PM
RE: Is there a TTA FAQ?
If you aren't using the mobile interface... "User CP" in the banner under where it says 'welcome back', then 'edit options' (User CP = User Control Panel)

(03-03-2017 05:02 PM)Dr H Wrote:  how to find new posts in a thread;

Use the "View new posts" and/or "View Today's Posts" at the top right of the page to see threads with new activity. Click the little green arrow to the left of the thread title to jump to the first unread post. They also let you change text size and color or other formatting.

Quote: how to post images

insert [img]URL to the image[/img] or use the little 'insert image' icon immediately above the text area. Other icons there help insert links to other pages and links to videos of youtube and other sources.

Quote:links versus attachments;

links just contain the URL of the image, video, website, etc and they get pulled from the URL every time they are viewed; they take up little space on TTA but are subject to being blocked or deleted by whoever maintains the linked item.

Attachments are uploaded to the TTA server so they don't get deleted (unless there's a way to do it manually or some kind of archiving function -- I don't know what processes might be out there). They take up space on the TTA server so there are limits on how many you can do.

Quote:"reply" versus "quick reply";

'quick reply'? I don't recognize that one
'Reply' opens the edit box for replying to a post and automatically inserts the quote tags to quote the entire thing. You can edit what was quoted and add more quote and /quote tags manually to break it up. If you don't get the quote and /quote tags paired correctly your post might appear with no text displayed.
'New Reply' opens the edit box for replying to a thread; nothing is automatically quoted unless you've used the 'quote this post' icon.

Next to the 'reply' in all posts you'll see the "Quote this post" icon. Click it and it will change color. As you browse the thread click it for every post you want to reply to. When you click "New Reply" the contents of every post you've identified will be quoted for you.

The box to the left of the text area when editing a post has "smilies" for easy reference. Click one to insert it in the text.

Quote: editing posts

You can edit for a brief time after posting to catch typos, reword, etc. After that the posts are locked and if you want to correct something you need to reply to your own post and fix it in the reply post. TTA doesn't allow for history to be revised.

The 'Preview post' option is a nice tool since it lets you see how your post will look before actually submitting it. 'Save as draft' is nice if you get interrupted or need to check something, etc.

User CP is good to explore; lots of options in there, including private messages.

Lots of other stuff that I have never played with -- the mobile interface, subscribing to threads, etc

You can give "rep" (reputation points) by clicking on a user's name and then going to 'rate'. You can also click 'details' to see what others have said. The 'add to ignore list' and 'add to buddy list' functions are also in there. (Buddy List isn't used much; it just lets you keep a list of people you like to follow -- I add people when I rep them so I can see quickly who I've repped already).

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like unfogged's post
03-03-2017, 06:56 PM
(03-03-2017 06:49 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 05:02 PM)Dr H Wrote:  how to post images
insert [img]URL to the image[/img] or use the little 'insert image' icon immediately above the text area. Other icons there help insert links to other pages and links to videos of youtube and other sources.

Just a quick note that will only work for direct links to images meaning the end of the url has to be ".jpg" or ".png" etc.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
03-03-2017, 06:58 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 10:34 PM by Full Circle.)
Let me add to unfogged’s great tutorial.

It took me a long time to figure out that if I want to create a hidden spoiler you do this by typing the word spoiler inside brackets [] then insert whatever then close by typing /spoiler inside brackets []

To strike a word place the letter s inside brackets [] and then close with /s inside brackets []

To only quote certain part of a post, click reply, erase all but the section you want while keeping the poster’s ID at the top and the closing quote [] at the end, then respond. Sometime you want to take that particular quote and copy then paste in another thread such as in “Words I want to remember” thread.

Hope that helps.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
03-03-2017, 07:06 PM
(03-03-2017 06:49 PM)unfogged Wrote:  If you aren't using the mobile interface... "User CP" in the banner under where it says 'welcome back', then 'edit options' (User CP = User Control Panel)

(03-03-2017 05:02 PM)Dr H Wrote:  how to find new posts in a thread;

Use the "View new posts" and/or "View Today's Posts" at the top right of the page to see threads with new activity. Click the little green arrow to the left of the thread title to jump to the first unread post. They also let you change text size and color or other formatting.

Quote: how to post images

Quote:links versus attachments;

links just contain the URL of the image, video, website, etc and they get pulled from the URL every time they are viewed; they take up little space on TTA but are subject to being blocked or deleted by whoever maintains the linked item.

Attachments are uploaded to the TTA server so they don't get deleted (unless there's a way to do it manually or some kind of archiving function -- I don't know what processes might be out there). They take up space on the TTA server so there are limits on how many you can do.

Quote:"reply" versus "quick reply";

'Reply' opens the edit box for replying to a post and automatically inserts the quote tags to quote the entire thing. You can edit what was quoted and add more quote and /quote tags manually to break it up. If you don't get the quote and /quote tags paired correctly your post might appear with no text displayed.
'New Reply' opens the edit box for replying to a thread; nothing is automatically quoted unless you've used the 'quote this post' icon.

Next to the 'reply' in all posts you'll see the "Quote this post" icon. Click it and it will change color. As you browse the thread click it for every post you want to reply to. When you click "New Reply" the contents of every post you've identified will be quoted for you.

The box to the left of the text area when editing a post has "smilies" for easy reference. Click one to insert it in the text.

Quote: editing posts

You can edit for a brief time after posting to catch typos, reword, etc. After that the posts are locked and if you want to correct something you need to reply to your own post and fix it in the reply post. TTA doesn't allow for history to be revised.

The 'Preview post' option is a nice tool since it lets you see how your post will look before actually submitting it. 'Save as draft' is nice if you get interrupted or need to check something, etc.

User CP is good to explore; lots of options in there, including private messages.

Lots of other stuff that I have never played with -- the mobile interface, subscribing to threads, etc

You can give "rep" (reputation points) by clicking on a user's name and then going to 'rate'. You can also click 'details' to see what others have said. The 'add to ignore list' and 'add to buddy list' functions are also in there. (Buddy List isn't used much; it just lets you keep a list of people you like to follow -- I add people when I rep them so I can see quickly who I've repped already).

Well done...very informative. Thumbsup

Now if muffs would come by and add the color commentary I would say we have a TTA FAQ. Cool

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
03-03-2017, 07:55 PM
Don't worry peeps, I got you fam.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
03-03-2017, 08:59 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2017 11:38 AM by Fireball.)
(03-03-2017 07:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 06:49 PM)unfogged Wrote:  If you aren't using the mobile interface... "User CP" in the banner under where it says 'welcome back', then 'edit options' (User CP = User Control Panel)

Well done...very informative. Thumbsup

Now if muffs would come by and add the color commentary I would say we have a TTA FAQ. Cool

That Buddy list usage is a good idea, Anjele. I just memorize who I have liked. Memorization worked well enough to get me through a 4-year degree at university.

BoT- Pro tip- it is generally polite to make sure that the "handle" of the person you are quoting remains in the quoted text.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
03-03-2017, 09:04 PM
All my buddy list consists of are people awaiting the ban hammer.

Tongue

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 8 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-03-2017, 09:06 PM
(03-03-2017 09:04 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  All my buddy list consists of are people awaiting the ban hammer.

Tongue

Brilliant!

#sigh
03-03-2017, 09:10 PM
(03-03-2017 09:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 09:04 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  All my buddy list consists of are people awaiting the ban hammer.

Tongue

Brilliant!

It's true, I can see when they were last on the forum, jump to their profile, check out their latest posts and see...

It works out pretty well.

Believe it or not 18 are on that list. But it used to be longer.

So, there's that.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-03-2017, 10:16 PM
(03-03-2017 09:10 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 09:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Brilliant!

It's true, I can see when they were last on the forum, jump to their profile, check out their latest posts and see...

It works out pretty well.

Believe it or not 18 are on that list. But it used to be longer.

So, there's that.

You scare me. Sadcryface

Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post