Is there a difference?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2015, 05:50 AM
Is there a difference?
Do you think that Theists that become Atheists are treated differently (by those faith) than lifetime Atheists? I have a feeling they are looked down upon...... like a very mild version of being in the Mob. What are your thoughts and do you have real life examples?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2015, 05:53 AM
RE: Is there a difference?
Theists looking down on any atheists implies they are above us. This is not the case. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
26-01-2015, 08:05 AM
Anytime a member leaves a group, it is seen as a sort of betrayal, so yeah. Many theists have been conditioned to limit the depth of their thinking, however, and tend to just despise all outsiders equally.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
26-01-2015, 01:33 PM
(26-01-2015 05:50 AM)jarrettleerose Wrote:  Do you think that Theists that become Atheists are treated differently (by those faith) than lifetime Atheists? I have a feeling they are looked down upon...... like a very mild version of being in the Mob. What are your thoughts and do you have real life examples?

There are none so reviled as the apostates. Those who have been atheists all their lives simply don't know any better but those who have known the grace of god and rejected it are going to a special hell.

You get this in more general terms throughout religion. There's nobody so hated as those who are almost the same as you. Protestant-Catholic, Sunni-Shiite, Christian-Jew.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
26-01-2015, 04:24 PM
(26-01-2015 01:33 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  There are none so reviled as the apostates. Those who have been atheists all their lives simply don't know any better but those who have known the grace of god and rejected it are going to a special hell.

They also get "arguments" specifically made for them, like the "You're just going through a phase" thing.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
26-01-2015, 05:04 PM
jarrettleerose, might be asking if there is a "we were here first" feeling among long time atheists toward those who were theists and now are atheists. Are you?
26-01-2015, 05:44 PM
I've not seen any indication that "former believers" are looked down upon more than any atheist in general. All I could use is that some christians may say they were never true christians, but I don't think that's them judging that person harsher than they would for a lifelong atheist.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
26-01-2015, 05:57 PM
(26-01-2015 05:50 AM)jarrettleerose Wrote:  Do you think that Theists that become Atheists are treated differently (by those faith) than lifetime Atheists? I have a feeling they are looked down upon...... like a very mild version of being in the Mob. What are your thoughts and do you have real life examples?

To different degrees yes. My adoptive mom thought I was going through a phase, but really didn't harp on it because she was no fundy.

My younger biological sister got all sorts of shit from our biological family when she came out. Our biological family are GOP voting thumpers. My younger sister is the only other atheist in my family but she left religion as an adult.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
26-01-2015, 06:38 PM
Re: RE: Is there a difference?
(26-01-2015 05:04 PM)Whimsymum Wrote:  jarrettleerose, might be asking if there is a "we were here first" feeling among long time atheists toward those who were theists and now are atheists. Are you?
Ehhh... not necessarily. In my case I loved reason and science as a kid. ... but got sucked into religion. The problem was....i was always asking questions.
26-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Re: RE: Is there a difference?
(26-01-2015 05:44 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I've not seen any indication that "former believers" are looked down upon more than any atheist in general. All I could use is that some christians may say they were never true christians, but I don't think that's them judging that person harsher than they would for a lifelong atheist.
Yeah. .I love that one. I was as sincere as any one person could be....my thirst for knowledge and "God's word" was very helpful bringing flaws to the surface