Is there a difference between Freethinker and freethinker?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Is there a difference between Freethinker and freethinker?
Earlier today Seth posted links on his FB page to videos from the FreeOK convention.

I can't remember the man's name, but I watched the one from the guy who wrote the parenting books. In it he mentioned a distinction between a freethinker with a capital F and one without.

Can someone explain what he was talking about?

thanks

“Happiness is not the absence of problems; it's the ability to deal with them.”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2013, 12:24 PM
RE: Is there a difference between Freethinker and freethinker?
Not a clue!

Your resident freethinking Freethinker. Smile

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-07-2013, 12:46 PM
I can only assume there is some actual organization out there calling themselves "Freethinkers". Making it into a proper noun. As to opposed to the usual lowercase...
03-07-2013, 12:52 PM
(03-07-2013 12:46 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I can only assume there is some actual organization out there calling themselves "Freethinkers". Making it into a proper noun. As to opposed to the usual lowercase...

There most definitely is, a very old and respected one at that!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freethought

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
03-07-2013, 12:57 PM
(03-07-2013 12:52 PM)Dom Wrote:  There most definitely is, a very old and respected one at that!

Right. But do any of those organizations encourage members to self-apply the capitalized epithet? Not that I'm aware...
03-07-2013, 12:59 PM
(03-07-2013 12:57 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 12:52 PM)Dom Wrote:  There most definitely is, a very old and respected one at that!

Right. But do any of those organizations encourage members to self-apply the capitalized epithet? Not that I'm aware...

Not that I know of. They think freely.... Tongue

03-07-2013, 01:11 PM
It seems to me that it's meant to represent a title (those nifty capitol letters) that doesn't deserve jack shit acknowledgement. It makes about just as much sense for a title as how Arthur got his title as King.

Then again, I could be wrong.

HELP HELP! I'M BEING REPRESSED!

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
03-07-2013, 01:16 PM
(03-07-2013 01:11 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  It seems to me that it's meant to represent a title (those nifty capitol letters) that doesn't deserve jack shit acknowledgement. It makes about just as much sense for a title as how Arthur got his title as King.

Probably goes that far back in history too. Not sure here, but freethought probably was the earliest publicly announced form of atheism. Someone with a better grasp of history please correct me here.

Basically, freethought doesn't believe anything unless there is proof.

03-07-2013, 05:42 PM
(03-07-2013 01:11 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  It seems to me that it's meant to represent a title (those nifty capitol letters) that doesn't deserve jack shit acknowledgement. It makes about just as much sense for a title as how Arthur got his title as King.

Hahaha I agree somewhat.

It's incredibly annoying that such a distinction even needs to be made, between those who think with emotions, superstition and dogmas which control their thoughts.

Also the constant misconceptions about freethought also irk me. Just because a person thinks about things with out religion doesn't mean that every thought will be original.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
04-07-2013, 09:56 AM
(03-07-2013 12:21 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Earlier today Seth posted links on his FB page to videos from the FreeOK convention.

I can't remember the man's name, but I watched the one from the guy who wrote the parenting books. In it he mentioned a distinction between a freethinker with a capital F and one without.

Can someone explain what he was talking about?

thanks

My grandfather considered himself to be a Freethinker with a capital F but he was also a Freemason. I wonder if the two intertwined way back when. I read the link from Wikipedia and hoped to find some connection but there wasn't one.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A distinction without a difference? Jeremy E Walker 39 712 20-05-2014 03:19 PM
Last Post: DLJ
  "True" Freethinker sosa 22 1,808 13-05-2014 09:52 AM
Last Post: Vosur
  What Is The Difference Between God's Behavior And The Devil's? WindyCityJazz 17 396 07-04-2014 08:06 AM
Last Post: RobbyPants
  There Is A Difference Between Respect And A Free Pass WindyCityJazz 15 430 03-04-2014 12:03 AM
Last Post: Misanthropik
  The difference between hoping and praying dancefortwo 19 547 10-03-2014 05:41 AM
Last Post: nach_in
  The Difference Between Believing Something To Be True And Faith WindyCityJazz 37 846 07-01-2014 08:48 AM
Last Post: IndianAtheist
Question What's the difference between the big three religious texts? PoolBoyG 1 177 11-11-2013 09:04 PM
Last Post: Anudist