Is there a difference between Freethinker and freethinker?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2013, 10:01 AM
RE: Is there a difference between Freethinker and freethinker?
(04-07-2013 09:56 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 12:21 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Earlier today Seth posted links on his FB page to videos from the FreeOK convention.

I can't remember the man's name, but I watched the one from the guy who wrote the parenting books. In it he mentioned a distinction between a freethinker with a capital F and one without.

Can someone explain what he was talking about?

thanks

My grandfather considered himself to be a Freethinker with a capital F but he was also a Freemason. I wonder if the two intertwined way back when. I read the link from Wikipedia and hoped to find some connection but there wasn't one.

Actually with a bit of googling Freemasons are supposed to believe in a higher power so my grandpa was not being honest with those masons. He was definitely a Freethinker though.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2013, 02:19 PM
(03-07-2013 12:21 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Earlier today Seth posted links on his FB page to videos from the FreeOK convention.

I can't remember the man's name, but I watched the one from the guy who wrote the parenting books. In it he mentioned a distinction between a freethinker with a capital F and one without.

Can someone explain what he was talking about?

thanks

A "Freethinker" is an atheist -- it's a synonym for atheist. A "freethinker" is someone who comes to his or her own conclusion without being pressured into it, that is, a person who is "free" to "think" whatever he or she wants.

I loved this video so much. It's an issue that I think about almost daily.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-07-2013, 03:02 PM
(03-07-2013 12:52 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 12:46 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I can only assume there is some actual organization out there calling themselves "Freethinkers". Making it into a proper noun. As to opposed to the usual lowercase...

There most definitely is, a very old and respected one at that!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freethought

Sweet, I've got my own wikipedia page!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
04-07-2013, 04:24 PM
(04-07-2013 03:02 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 12:52 PM)Dom Wrote:  There most definitely is, a very old and respected one at that!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freethought

Sweet, I've got my own wikipedia page!

I had the same thought...

Or rather...

Dude you're like famous. Wink

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post