Is there a doctor in the house? How to treat cuts.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Is there a doctor in the house? How to treat cuts.
(You can skip this bit) How I hurt myself:

About a week ago I was in Home Depot picking up a Trimmer (also known as a brand name, Weed Eater). I grabbed the box off the shelf and slid it toward the floor, and in doing so I caught my thumb on an industrial staple which ripped it open pretty good. It slowly oozed dark red blood but I was able to check out and get home without notice. A decent amount of blood had oozed out, but nothing serous. I cleaned it up, and over a 2 day period it had started to heal. 2 days afterward I found an old rusty axe head worthy of saving so I got a good handle and started to clean it up and sharpen it. As I was finishing up the bit on the last side my hand slipped and just so happened to go right into my cut, making it a pretty nasty cut. Blood poured out....a lot of blood. The cut (along with both on my hands) was covered in dirt, rust, and oil. I called over my mother-in-law, a nurse, to take a look to see if she though it needed stitches, and she said she thought it would be okay without stitches.

How to treat?:

I was advised my my mother-in-law to soak it in Hydrogen Peroxide regularly, so I did for a couple of days, but it got infected. I read up and some docs are saying that soaking it in H. Peroxide stops the healing process, and to not do it. Then I took my cat to the get who also had an infected wound. The vet advised (in addition to treatment) advised to soak his wound in Epsom Salts and warm water twice daily, so I thought "Hey, I should probably do that too." I did, and it seemed to help and is healing nicely now. After looking it up some docs are advising against the later practice, some are saying it's a good idea, now I have no idea what I'm supposed to do for future cuts like this. I don't know the science behind either of these, and my only medical training is as basically a first responder in the military...treat wounds till I can get 'em to a proper doc. Can someone clear up the confusion on this? What SHOULD you do to treat semi-serious cuts? Oh, uh, PS...What's the deal with bandages, leave on all the time? Let it air out? Half the day?

Just so no one is worried, I am not a complete idiot. I washed the wound the best I could immediately after I cut myself, I wash my hands several times a day, change my bandages about 3 or 4 times a day and use a topical antibacterial. My tetanus shots are up to date. Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2013, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2013 10:57 PM by LadyJane.)
RE: Is there a doctor in the house? How to treat cuts.
Soaking in the salt is fine but not necessary, I wouldn't do it often.

I had a compound fracture (cut deep enough to expose the bone) on my finger tips a couple of years ago. I had the wound redressed once a day. With sterile cotton it was cleaned with the (ETA:Saline, not peroxide sorry) spray mix, air dried for about 5 mins, then polysporin was put on it and dressed to cover. Once the wound started to close up I was to air it out at night. Keep it covered during the day until at least one layer covers the flesh.

Make sure your tetanus shot is up to date!
24-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Well, the peroxide has been proven to be harmful more so than helpful. It has been phased out.

My husband had an open wound from his chest to his groin, a deep one. For a while they put a wound vac on it, so it needed nothing else. When it was sufficiently shrunk I was shown how to care for it the rest of the way (one more month of healing). I changed the dressing once a day, and I put triple antibiotic cream on it. I was advised to watch it and see if he might be allergic to the triple cream, many people are. In that case I was to use a plain antibiotic cream.

No washing, no rinsing, no cleaning since it had already been cleaned and there was no infection. The less it is disturbed, the better, as long as the dressing is changed daily and the wound is disinfected with antibiotic cream.

Initially, if the wound is large, wet healing is best. So you seal it up with the dressing. Towards the end, when the wound is very small, the dressing should not be airtight, it is then good to form a scab.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-04-2013, 08:43 PM
I heard that peeing on it is the best way to cleanse the wound.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
24-04-2013, 09:01 PM
(24-04-2013 08:43 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I heard that peeing on it is the best way to cleanse the wound.

Yes but if you have an urinary infection you're not aware of, it could be worse.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-04-2013, 09:04 PM
You can also use Microcyn.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-04-2013, 09:29 PM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2013 09:33 PM by Free Thought.)
(24-04-2013 07:56 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  (You can skip this bit) How I hurt myself:

About a week ago I was in Home Depot picking up a Trimmer (also known as a brand name, Weed Eater). I grabbed the box off the shelf and slid it toward the floor, and in doing so I caught my thumb on an industrial staple which ripped it open pretty good. It slowly oozed dark red blood but I was able to check out and get home without notice. A decent amount of blood had oozed out, but nothing serous. I cleaned it up, and over a 2 day period it had started to heal. 2 days afterward I found an old rusty axe head worthy of saving so I got a good handle and started to clean it up and sharpen it. As I was finishing up the bit on the last side my hand slipped and just so happened to go right into my cut, making it a pretty nasty cut. Blood poured out....a lot of blood. The cut (along with both on my hands) was covered in dirt, rust, and oil. I called over my mother-in-law, a nurse, to take a look to see if she though it needed stitches, and she said she thought it would be okay without stitches.

How to treat?:

I was advised my my mother-in-law to soak it in Hydrogen Peroxide regularly, so I did for a couple of days, but it got infected. I read up and some docs are saying that soaking it in H. Peroxide stops the healing process, and to not do it. Then I took my cat to the get who also had an infected wound. The vet advised (in addition to treatment) advised to soak his wound in Epsom Salts and warm water twice daily, so I thought "Hey, I should probably do that too." I did, and it seemed to help and is healing nicely now. After looking it up some docs are advising against the later practice, some are saying it's a good idea, now I have no idea what I'm supposed to do for future cuts like this. I don't know the science behind either of these, and my only medical training is as basically a first responder in the military...treat wounds till I can get 'em to a proper doc. Can someone clear up the confusion on this? What SHOULD you do to treat semi-serious cuts? Oh, uh, PS...What's the deal with bandages, leave on all the time? Let it air out? Half the day?

Just so no one is worried, I am not a complete idiot. I washed the wound the best I could immediately after I cut myself, I wash my hands several times a day, change my bandages about 3 or 4 times a day and use a topical antibacterial. My tetanus shots are up to date. Thumbsup

Irrigate the wound, preferably with some saline solution, but running tap water will suffice so long as it is clean, after it has been irrigated, dress the wound. You shouldn't really need to change the bandage (which I assume is little more than a bandaid, considering your stated thumb wound, please correct me if I am incorrect in this assumption) if the bleeding has slowed down or halted, if you can see the dressing (which comes adhered to adhesive bandage strips) and it is covered in blood, than it is decent idea to change it. but it is possible that frequently changing will slow the scabbing process by taking some of solidifying blood with it. I am unsure if airing wounds actually has any positive effects, I personally avoid airing out cuts, it opens a slightly greater possibility for the cut to be damaged further and completely reopened.

As an after-thought; Why would anybody say to soak an open cut in Hydrogen Peroxide? Last I heard Hydrogen peroxide is toxic to the human body...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
24-04-2013, 09:46 PM
(24-04-2013 09:01 PM)KVron Wrote:  
(24-04-2013 08:43 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I heard that peeing on it is the best way to cleanse the wound.

Yes but if you have an urinary infection you're not aware of, it could be worse.

But I keep my pee clean and sterile. Don't you?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
25-04-2013, 01:02 AM
Right, I guess I wasn't precise enough as to my injury. As I said, it looks like it's on the mend again. It still a bit red and puffy, but better today than yesterday. It doesn't normally bleed unless I am trying to cleaning it, or when I squeezed it after it got infected. Not trying to be gross, but there is a little slice of wet dirty meat exposed. The injury is on the side of my thumb at the bend and goes inward a bit, an awkward spot. I am using a band-aid. What I was really getting at is does anyone know the truth behind the alleged treatments I was offered or heard of.

25-04-2013, 04:04 AM
I'm afraid we need to remove your thumb. Trust me i'm a Doctor on the internet Thumbsup

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 2 users Like FSM_scot's post