Is there a limit to media fear?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Is there a limit to media fear?
A school bus explodes in Iowa and one news stations teaser is this phrase. "School bus catches fire and explodes in pleasant hill. Sixteen kids get out alive!!"

Of course when the story actually comes on they let people know that the bus had 16 kids to begin with.

Heard this on the radio and so far have only found the full story. This phrase is repeated at the beginning of the story.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht1-jzm1axw

Scary event for the children and those in the area indeed, but for what reason does a news station promote their news program by telling people 2 hours before the program airs that 16 kids get out alive? What if you happen to live in that area and work while your kids are making it home? Why lead with the horror story instead of first exclaiming that all the children are safe but a school bus did catch on fire?

There are millions of examples of rampant abuse of facts and scare tactics within the news and media, but isn't it going a little too far to suggest that there are dead people even possibly alarming parents of their child's safety without giving an immediate consolation that everyone is safe?

What is the point where we admit that the scare tactics in media are way beyond acceptable levels?

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2011, 10:38 AM

RE: Is there a limit to media fear?
Actually, there can be a self-imposed limit, on an individual basis, imposed by the citizenry. They can tune out the media.

When we had our last Federal election in May, and the bastards ended up with a majority, I decided that I have had it. I have not watched TV (news or otherwise), read any papers, seen any commercials since then. I am on a sanity-sabbatical where I watch old ALF, MASH, Star Trek and “Boston Legal” seasons on my DVD and love every minute of it.

I have no idea what is happening in Libya or anywhere else, I have no idea what new and disgusting corruption scandals are revealed daily in Lard-Head territory (the Canadian Parliament) or what disasters struck where, when and how.

It is a bliss.

It is not that I don’t care. I do. I only reserve my caring to areas where I can make a difference: my friends, my neighbors and, maybe, this forum.

The rest would make me just angry almost beyond endurance -- then what use would I be?

Tune them out, folks!
Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2011, 10:49 AM
It's just a means to get you to buy papers or watch the news to find out what happened, news stations need to uphold ratings too apparently and that is starting to take precedent over a job well done in reporting what's happening.

I see two factors at least. The first being MTV. By which I mean society's seeming lack of an attention span for anything that's not a rollicking adventure in pointless reality television. The majority of people would prefer to watch The Situation hook up with chicks and argue with other "Italian" Americans than find out what's going on in their community or their country. And, now, I pick on MTV, but all reality television is the same thing, really, whether you're watching Cake Boss, Say Yes to the Dress, or Toddlers in Tiaras, they're all the same thing. Pointless. (And hey, I admit, I enjoy Cake Boss and a few other reality shows, but not to the degree where I'm not paying attention to the world, like many people).

The second factor I attribute this to is the ratings focused and sensationalist media. Fox news gets outrageous rating because they strike fear into their viewers, who then continue to watch in order to figure out what they can do about their apparently dire situation, and they also coddle like-minded individuals to stir up loyalties that don't really need to exist. So, with Fox stealing away so many eyes more local news teams and other big networks need to do the same thing, because those millions of viewers on Fox send a message, "This is the type of news we want to watch". This effectively makes News media a form of entertainment rather than information, this is perhaps expedited by the advent of the internet where information is available at your finger tips 24/7 instead of waiting for the 6 o'clock news.

So, in short, people want to be entertained and as sick as it is in your example, Lilith, that's just another example of using teaser and fear tactics to rope in an audience.

27-08-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm with you Zatamon I rarely ever pay any attention to news anymore. Usually I'll learn about things on this forum. Sometimes while at work I'll use the radio though and that's when I find theses wondrous gems. I stopped watching TV a few years ago since the computer allows me to just review a show any time if I really want to watch it. I really like television programs but even though I watch more than I should I never have to deal with the media of television if I restrict it to recorded programs.

As far as the current reality focus, I generally watch animations, because it's what I prefer to watch I've avoided the frenzy of over dramatic focus on how everyone lives very dramatically =p

The sad thing though Zatamon is that while our actions make a huge difference in our lives most people don't take that step. There should be more serious public outcry for a real limit to this aggressive advertising. Advertising should not exist to hurt people.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
28-08-2011, 02:48 PM

News organizations uses fear tactics because of one simple reason: it works.
Playing on fear or emotion in a news teaser is a quick and dirty way to attract attention. News producers should be aware that if they go to that well too often, as it were, than you run the risk of alienating your viewers/listeners/readers. Unfortunately, by and large this part of the industry is less concerned about long-term viewers and more concerned with short-term ratings gains.
I agree this over-sensationalization of some stories is ridiculous, but they wouldn't do it if it didn't work.
03-09-2011, 12:40 AM
I look at what the mainstream news is saying.......to see what political agenda there promoting, then I do my own research into the things that interest me. People lap it up though and put complete faith and trust into what they see in the mainstream......they leave all rational thought behind and go on a rollercoaster of feelings and thoughts produced by what they see. I too am guilty of this sometimes and have to catch myself to keep myself open minded.

Its a double edged sword though I think.......to a degree they are promoting fear, but then to a degree there are the people who want it. Films boundarys have changed radically over the last 50 years, popular computer games have become more realistic and increasingly violent, our tolerance to what is "acceptable" is allways being pushed and the boundarys allways being tested.

Its like we live in a communist enviroment dressed up as "freedom".

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
03-09-2011, 04:23 AM

(03-09-2011 12:40 AM)bemore Wrote:  Its a double edged sword though I think.......to a degree they are promoting fear, but then to a degree there are the people who want it. Films boundarys have changed radically over the last 50 years, popular computer games have become more realistic and increasingly violent, our tolerance to what is "acceptable" is allways being pushed and the boundarys allways being tested.

Its like we live in a communist enviroment dressed up as "freedom".

Very perceptive, bemore. Not too many people are aware of this. Wink