Is there a lull in the Atheist Movement?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2013, 09:07 AM
RE: Is there a lull in the Atheist Movement?
Rates of irrelegion and atheism are on the rise.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
02-08-2013, 10:24 AM
(02-08-2013 08:56 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-08-2013 10:15 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I think it goes along at a slow pace with a surge in progress from time to time. I came across this article about atheist chaplains in the military possibly being funded by congress. It's still up in the air but it might happen. Although it seems like a atheist chaplain is an oxymoron to me.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rita-nakas...79755.html

Why do you see that as an oxymoron? Do you mean the words or the function?

A little of both. A chaplain traditionally was someone of religious faith so it's like having an atheist bishop or something. I think the Netherlands has humanist chaplains, started only in the last 15 years or so. I think it's just getting used to the new tradition of a "humanist chaplain" but it's a great idea.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
02-08-2013, 02:56 PM
(02-08-2013 09:07 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Rates of irrelegion and atheism are on the rise.

It's merely moved underground. Where it is far more insidious and effective. Born and Raised: More Americans Are Being Raised Without Religion and Choosing to Stay that Way.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-08-2013, 10:08 AM
I think the Athiest movement tends to react like a kind of societal immune response, since we don't stand as a group for anything other then a lack of belief, we need something to respond to to get us riled up. That's why atheist groups tend to be more vocal in areas where religion is more oppressive.

If their is a lull in the movement (or in your part of the world) it just means that no religious people are acting or saying anything more stupid then we're already used to, or trying to enact any stupid laws.

Hell last week, even the pope said that gays are sort of almost okay. Its kinda hard to start an arguement with that.

"I am a knowledgeable man, I have knowledge. If I knew how I knew what I know, I would know half as much, because it would be clogged up with where I knew it from...that is why I cannot always cite my sources. - David Mitchell
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
03-08-2013, 10:40 AM
There is an atheist movement?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-08-2013, 10:45 AM
(03-08-2013 10:40 AM)Dom Wrote:  There is an atheist movement?

Yes. Proof.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-08-2013, 10:49 AM
(03-08-2013 10:45 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-08-2013 10:40 AM)Dom Wrote:  There is an atheist movement?

Yes. Proof.

Yabut. "Atheism" is not a "thing unto itself."
4 horsemen became 3
leaving a bunch to wonder what it means
to be me.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
03-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Well - I mean they just got a public monument in Florida...I think that's a huge milestone....

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
03-08-2013, 06:12 PM
(01-08-2013 07:57 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  There seems to be. Or the movement is just plateauing with no vertical progress.

Wondered that myself recently and came to the conclusion....maybe not. Lately, I have been meeting a lot of people who are, for lack of a better term, "Post Religious". These "Post Religious" people are functional Agnostic Atheists who tend not to even realize they are Atheists (since they view Atheism as active disbelief), and they don't know much about religion - or care to learn anything about religion.

The Atheist and the Believer seem to have more in common with each other (i.e., they both care about the effects of religion) than with the "Post Religious". Perhaps these "Post Religious" people are the future.
04-08-2013, 12:57 PM
We're a movement now?
Why wasn't I invited? At least you guys could have sent me the memo Sad