Is there a market for another atheist book?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
03-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Is there a market for another atheist book?
I'm considering putting some of my thoughts together into a book. I'm just wondering if there would be a market for it. I know Sam Harris, Hitchens, and Dawkins have cranked out a lot of books. The last information I saw was that "The God Delusion" had sold about 2.5 million copies worldwide. I think I might be able to sell 500K books. What do you guys think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes matt1162's post
03-08-2013, 01:41 PM
RE: Is there a market for another atheist book?
Given the number of theist books that are out there I don't think the market for atheist books is anywhere near saturation. However, unless you have the kind of credentials that Dawkins, Harris, et al have, my guess is that 500K books is a bit optimistic.

Humans arrived on Earth on 22 October 4004 B.C. A few of us are still trying to repair the ship.
03-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Depends on what topic your book is. If its about refuting theist's arguments,you won't get as much sales as lets say secular parenting

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
04-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Do you feel that you have something to add that hasn't already been done? Richard Dawkins took every argument for the existence of God and refuted them all, as well as looked at the reasons that religions exist and why they persist. Sam Harris wrote a very substantial book about why liberal Christian faith is poor, as well as a letter directed towards Fundamentalist Christians that seems to be genuinely aimed at their beliefs. Christopher Hitchens wrote a book that makes an almost entirely emotional case (for those who are swayed by such a thing). Daniel Dennett has written about the psychology behind religion and given explanations for emotions and consciousness.

So what's left to talk about?

As much as I think I could write a worthy tome on the subject, there really isn't much that I have to say that hasn't already been done. Whenever I come up with a topic that I think is original and comprehensive, I simply speak about it and upload it to YouTube, where an un-credentialed guy like me can find an audience.

Here's an idea I'd just like to throw out there... author a post on this thread giving us a sample of the kinds of things you write about. Get some peer criticism first before getting the much harsher publisher criticism.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Starcrash's post
04-08-2013, 11:20 AM
There is always room for another book. The more, the merrier.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Sure, I'd read it if it were any good. Why not? Even if we were over saturated with atheist books, which we are not, if it were good then of course it would be read. People don't stop reading Christian books, and that market is way over saturated. They have their own book stories.

Perhaps one day we will have our own book stores, and they will be empty because religion will be dead so no one will have to care anymore. ...until that day, write the damned book!

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
04-08-2013, 12:42 PM
(04-08-2013 10:52 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  Do you feel that you have something to add that hasn't already been done? Richard Dawkins took every argument for the existence of God and refuted them all, as well as looked at the reasons that religions exist and why they persist. Sam Harris wrote a very substantial book about why liberal Christian faith is poor, as well as a letter directed towards Fundamentalist Christians that seems to be genuinely aimed at their beliefs. Christopher Hitchens wrote a book that makes an almost entirely emotional case (for those who are swayed by such a thing). Daniel Dennett has written about the psychology behind religion and given explanations for emotions and consciousness.

So what's left to talk about?

As much as I think I could write a worthy tome on the subject, there really isn't much that I have to say that hasn't already been done. Whenever I come up with a topic that I think is original and comprehensive, I simply speak about it and upload it to YouTube, where an un-credentialed guy like me can find an audience.

Here's an idea I'd just like to throw out there... author a post on this thread giving us a sample of the kinds of things you write about. Get some peer criticism first before getting the much harsher publisher criticism.

This. The thing about the atheist community is that most anything that needs to be said has been said, so you'd probably only be repeating other works. Most of the atheists who would read anything that hasn't been touched on have probably already figured those areas anyway. (This is sorta why the whole "herding cats" analogy sticks.)

The physical neurology of beliefs is probably the one area that could have something interesting to say, but unless OP is more knowledgeable than the best neurologists in the world, I really doubt he knows enough about it to be able to explain how our brains handle beliefs AND be able to explain how a believer's brain is any different than a non-believer's brain. (Assuming that there's enough of a different to notice.)

I know Harris talks a lot about neurology, but I think we still have a lot of area to cover, which is why I think there is still something to be said.

“One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.”

- Bertrand Russel
[+] 1 user Likes eksyte's post
04-08-2013, 06:43 PM
I think the more contained number of books the better - I mean how many Christian books are there? Can you name all of them?

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
05-08-2013, 05:25 AM
I think the sales of many atheist books rely on the following the author has already built up. It's harder for someone who is less well known.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
05-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Why the fuck are you asking us?

If you think you can sell 500K books obviously you know the market better then any of us could ever.
Which then begs the question of why are you making this thread to brag about 'writing skills'?

If you wanna advertise your shit why not just stop beating around the bush and advertise your shit...?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post