Is there a market for another atheist book?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
05-08-2013, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 01:40 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Is there a market for another atheist book?
There is, however, as I see it, what's missing today are very specific, and require specialized, and substantial (academic ?) training, (or personal research), possibly in Archaeology, or Ancient Near Eastern Cultures and languages, Ancient History, Comparative Languages, or Comparative Mythology, Philosophy, Physics (or science), AND an ability to make "nerdy" subjects interesting, and compelling. The subjects should be interesting to everyone, not just atheists. Facts are facts. The readers can take and do with them whatever they want. Richard Carrier has addressed some of the possible subjects, in his videos and books, but there is a lot missing from the subjects he has tackled, (and likely won't be due to his specific area of expertise.) If you're up to any of that, PM me, and I'll give you some very specific topic ideas.

Otherwise, how about, (as suggested above), tell us what you're thinking about.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-08-2013, 12:58 PM
(04-08-2013 12:42 PM)eksyte Wrote:  The physical neurology of beliefs is probably the one area that could have something interesting to say, but unless OP is more knowledgeable than the best neurologists in the world, I really doubt he knows enough about it to be able to explain how our brains handle beliefs AND be able to explain how a believer's brain is any different than a non-believer's brain. (Assuming that there's enough of a different to notice.)

This is going to be the next "evolution" debate in science, because current neurological findings have destroyed the idea of free will and "the mind". The information contained within Incognito alone is enough to do it.

I'd happily read another book about behavioral economics. That isn't strictly an atheist topic, but every one of these books is another blow to religion implicitly.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
05-08-2013, 02:07 PM
(05-08-2013 12:58 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 12:42 PM)eksyte Wrote:  The physical neurology of beliefs is probably the one area that could have something interesting to say, but unless OP is more knowledgeable than the best neurologists in the world, I really doubt he knows enough about it to be able to explain how our brains handle beliefs AND be able to explain how a believer's brain is any different than a non-believer's brain. (Assuming that there's enough of a different to notice.)

This is going to be the next "evolution" debate in science, because current neurological findings have destroyed the idea of free will and "the mind". The information contained within Incognito alone is enough to do it.

I'd happily read another book about behavioral economics. That isn't strictly an atheist topic, but every one of these books is another blow to religion implicitly.

And if you don't want to buy a book, there are tons of Eagleman videos on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzMDYCaneXA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LENqnjZGX0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkANniH8XZE

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
05-08-2013, 05:00 PM
After thinking about it, perhaps you could write some fiction with a message geared toward honest knowledge-seeking? There are a few "atheistic" fiction books, but they generally suck because they're so focused on debunking religion rather than paving the way for real fact-finding and rational thought, which is really what atheism is.

“One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.”

- Bertrand Russel
[+] 1 user Likes eksyte's post
08-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe 500K is a lofty goal. I was planning on hitting things from a semi humorous angle. I'm not talking about something from Bill Maher or George Carlin but a real atheists perspective on religion coming from someone who was never a believer. Things look quite different if you have never believed in a deity than if you were once a believer (at least that's what I've noticed in talking to others and reading their writings)
[+] 1 user Likes matt1162's post