Is there a mechanic in the house?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2015, 09:39 PM
Is there a mechanic in the house?
Your'e getting the abbreviated version.

My truck started overheating. I checked the radiator fluids, which seemed to be fine. I took it to a mechanic who I've seen for a couple of years now and I thought was trustworthy, but he initially called and said that I had a blown head-gasket or cracked head. This did not at all sound right to me. If what he said was true I should've been leaking fluids, but even after driving about 10 or so miles (a few at a time in cold weather) the fluids seemed completely full. Naturally this set off alarm bells. I went and kidnapped my truck with my spare key while they were closed, and had someone I know I can trust (close family member) change out the thermostat, and boom, the problem was fixed. The thermostat was broke. I still had to go to my mechanic to get my key, and I confronted him. He continued to insist that his test was full proof and that I had a blown head-gasket or cracked head, or at the very least, a head was cracking. Does this sound right to anyone? Is it possible to have a cracking head without loosing fluid? Is he full of shit and trying to rip me off to the tune of over a grand/cover his ass?

Price of the 'diagnosed problem' would've likely been over grand as the part was supposed to be $450 and would've been labor intensive. The thermostat cost was 25 bucks, 25 more in labor. Also found out my clutch fan was bad. This was 50 for the part, 25 for labor. Why didn't the professional shop find either of these things?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2015, 09:43 PM
RE: Is there a mechanic in the house?
(12-01-2015 09:39 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  ...
Is it possible to have a cracking head without losing fluid?

Cue... knob gag

Big Grin

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
12-01-2015, 09:44 PM
They are dumbasses, get your key back. Wait until it's an actual problem then replace the super expensive part plus labour, you'll know when because then you'll have your leaky fluids. (I am not a mechanic, but if it ain't broke, don't fix)
12-01-2015, 09:49 PM
Blown head gasket you'd be showing black or blueish smoke coming out.
Rarely white but not impossible.

You could be leak antifreeze or oil or both.

You'd burn through both faster because both could be leaking into the cylinders or out of the engine.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

12-01-2015, 09:50 PM
(12-01-2015 09:39 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Your'e getting the abbreviated version.

My truck started overheating. I checked the radiator fluids, which seemed to be fine. I took it to a mechanic who I've seen for a couple of years now and I thought was trustworthy, but he initially called and said that I had a blown head-gasket or cracked head. This did not at all sound right to me. If what he said was true I should've been leaking fluids, but even after driving about 10 or so miles (a few at a time in cold weather) the fluids seemed completely full. Naturally this set off alarm bells. I went and kidnapped my truck with my spare key while they were closed, and had someone I know I can trust (close family member) change out the thermostat, and boom, the problem was fixed. The thermostat was broke. I still had to go to my mechanic to get my key, and I confronted him. He continued to insist that his test was full proof and that I had a blown head-gasket or cracked head, or at the very least, a head was cracking. Does this sound right to anyone? Is it possible to have a cracking head without loosing fluid? Is he full of shit and trying to rip me off to the tune of over a grand/cover his ass?

Price of the 'diagnosed problem' would've likely been over grand as the part was supposed to be $450 and would've been labor intensive. The thermostat cost was 25 bucks, 25 more in labor. Also found out my clutch fan was bad. This was 50 for the part, 25 for labor. Why didn't the professional shop find either of these things?

The mechanic is either incompetent or dishonest. As soon as I read 'over-heating' I thought 'thermostat'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-01-2015, 09:52 PM
A blown head gasket or cracked head can leak internally too.
It would also run like shit.
Check your engine oil for antifreeze, it will look milky or foamy.
It can also leak into a cylinder, in which case you would be able to smell it burning at the exhaust pipe (and make it run rough).
Chances are you caught it with the thermostat and fan clutch.
If it overheated badly enough before the fix it could cause a blown head gasket or even crack a head.
Sometimes a blown gasket will only run rough occasionally,
then smooth out for a while.
Pay attention to how it's running.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
12-01-2015, 09:53 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2015 09:56 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
It could be the thermostat or water pump.

Husband said if its the oil pump, the truck would just lock up.

He said if you've got plenty of fluids in the reserves, and the vehicle is overheating, he'd suspect the water pump too.

He also said, he thinks the mechanic needs to pay off some Christmas bills.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-01-2015, 09:57 PM
(12-01-2015 09:53 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It could be the thermostat or water pump.

He said if you've got plenty of fluids in the reserves, and the vehicle is overheating, he'd suspect the water pump too.

It's rare, but the impeller blades on the water pump can wear down enough that they don't move the water through the engine.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
12-01-2015, 10:05 PM
(12-01-2015 09:57 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 09:53 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It could be the thermostat or water pump.

It's rare, but the impeller blades on the water pump can wear down enough that they don't move the water through the engine.

That's what he said, I couldn't spell it. Blush

He built/rebuilt three cars. His first was 67 camero. He sold it before it was finished. The second was his 73 camero rally sport that he loved and I hated. The third we bought after we got married 69 firebird, with a 400 engine. It had duel quads and 4 speed. I loved that car...best vibrator in the world. Smile

He was also always tinkering with it. Drove me crazy since it was my car.

It lived in our garage after I got pregnant because I fit behind the wheel and still touch the pedals. Sad

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-01-2015, 10:14 PM
(12-01-2015 10:05 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 09:57 PM)pablo Wrote:  It's rare, but the impeller blades on the water pump can wear down enough that they don't move the water through the engine.

That's what he said, I couldn't spell it. Blush

He built/rebuilt three cars. His first was 67 camero. He sold it before it was finished. The second was his 73 camero rally sport that he loved and I hated. The third we bought after we got married 69 firebird, with a 400 engine. It had duel quads and 4 speed. I loved that car...best vibrator in the world. Smile

He was also always tinkering with it. Drove me crazy since it was my car.

It lived in our garage after I got pregnant because I fit behind the wheel and still touch the pedals. Sad

Those all sound like fun cars. Thumbsup