Is there a perfect moment?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2017, 10:11 AM
Folks,

A friend used to ask me this question, “Is there a perfect moment?” For a long time I thought I had an answer and then it changed recently.

Do you have an answer, if there is one?

D.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-08-2017, 10:13 AM
RE: Is there a perfect moment?
I have many answers. The last perfect moment was yesterday when the breeze brought me a whiff of rose scent.

Or do you mean universally perfect?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
13-08-2017, 10:23 AM
No such thing as perfection, so no, perfect moment don't exist.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
13-08-2017, 10:29 AM
Seeing as this is in the philosophy section: “One of the basic rules of the universe is that nothing is perfect. Perfection simply doesn't exist.....Without imperfection, neither you nor I would exist"

[Image: 765194.png]

If we're talking about pleasant moments in our insignificant lives, perfect is whatever we decide it is (thus, kind of devoid of meaning), so each one of us will have a different answer. Which will change at different points in our lives.

Which brings us back to Hawking.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
13-08-2017, 10:40 AM
(13-08-2017 10:13 AM)Dom Wrote:  I have many answers. The last perfect moment was yesterday when the breeze brought me a whiff of rose scent.

Dom's is as good an example as any. Perfect? No. absolutely pleasing to her? Certainly.
I think of gentle breezes and pleasing scents and beautiful imagery and the sun on my face or my back or whatever is pleasing, those moments are some of the experiences that punctuate my existence with joy.
13-08-2017, 10:45 AM

Seems about right

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-08-2017, 11:07 AM
(13-08-2017 10:40 AM)skyking Wrote:  
(13-08-2017 10:13 AM)Dom Wrote:  I have many answers. The last perfect moment was yesterday when the breeze brought me a whiff of rose scent.

Dom's is as good an example as any. Perfect? No. absolutely pleasing to her? Certainly.
I think of gentle breezes and pleasing scents and beautiful imagery and the sun on my face or my back or whatever is pleasing, those moments are some of the experiences that punctuate my existence with joy.

At that moment, when I smelled that scent, I was completely engulfed in it and I was aware of nothing but that scent. Hence, the moment was perfect.

Perfection is entirely subjective.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
13-08-2017, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2017 11:29 AM by Cosmo.)
This reminded me of a moment in the movie The Last Samurai.

Nathan Algren and Katsumoto are standing in a grove of Cherry Blossom trees, and Katsumoto is staring deeply at each blossom individually.

"The perfect cherry blossom is a rare thing," he says as his hands and eyes move between blossoms. "You can spend your whole life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life."

Later in the movie, Katsumoto is dying in Nathan Algren's arms after a terrible battle. A vision of cherry blossoms falling away in the wind is the last thing he sees. He looks up into the sky, and smiles.

"Perfect. They are all perfect."

So I think Dom is onto something. From the perspective of physics and biology, nothing is perfect. But since you're not talking about physics or biology right now, and instead the perceptions of our subjective experiences, a moment can be perfect to you, I would think. Every moment in theory, though likely not in practice.

Who really knows, anyways? Wink

Edit: Running out into the warm water of the Atlantic and playing in the waves with my younger siblings on the beaches of Clearwater, as a recent example. That moment was perfect to me.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 6 ~
[+] 2 users Like Cosmo's post
13-08-2017, 03:04 PM
(13-08-2017 10:45 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  42

Seems about right

Actually, it was 43. Sheldon Cooper said so. So it must be true.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
13-08-2017, 03:33 PM
No cuz as soon as I realize I'm having one, I start worrying about whether the next one will be better, so then this one isn't. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.