Is there a polite way of asking a potential roommate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2014, 02:39 AM
RE: Is there a polite way of asking a potential roommate
If you meet them I'm person, get there early and be reading Dawkins or something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2014, 02:48 AM
Muffsy and Pippen sitting in a tree ....

I have a sign up:

No dogs
No gods
No men
No durian

That is all.

Smile

08-01-2014, 06:29 AM
(07-01-2014 08:16 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 05:22 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I have no clue about the laws in NZ, but in the US you can't really ask those things.

"tell me about yourself."
"do you do any volunteer or community service type work?"
"what do you do in your free time?"
"is there anything that you are passionate about?"
"how do you feel about alternate lifestyles?"

ask about their political views and/or current events

no answer by itself will tell you, but when you start putting all the answers together you should get a hunch of what might be going on.
In the US he can certainly ask that!! Discrimination only applies to businesses with more than 50 employees

Fair Housing comes under Civil Rights Protections. They aren't just for businesses with more than 50 people. There are "protected classes" -- and you can't discriminate based on those classes….race, religion, handicap, sex, color, family status, national origin …..

But I do think there is a provision since they will be living together that would allow him to ask, but if he had an a place that he was renting out (and not living there himself), he would be in violation. And the OP isn't in US, so our laws don't matter anyway.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
08-01-2014, 11:57 AM
(08-01-2014 06:29 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 08:16 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  In the US he can certainly ask that!! Discrimination only applies to businesses with more than 50 employees

Fair Housing comes under Civil Rights Protections. They aren't just for businesses with more than 50 people. There are "protected classes" -- and you can't discriminate based on those classes….race, religion, handicap, sex, color, family status, national origin …..

But I do think there is a provision since they will be living together that would allow him to ask, but if he had an a place that he was renting out (and not living there himself), he would be in violation. And the OP isn't in US, so our laws don't matter anyway.

Landlords who live on premises are usually exempt from anti-discrimination laws.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-01-2014, 12:00 PM
"have you got any spiritual beliefs?"

Is an innocent enough question to ask.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
08-01-2014, 12:13 PM
I personally wouldn't care if you asked me, but I get how some people might be offended.

In the end, there aren't any laws about how/why to choose a roommate. You can discriminate all you want. You are choosing someone who is best suited to live with you - a private entity on private property.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
08-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Bend the truth a bit. Give the example of your old flatmates mother but pretend it was your flatmate, sort of like,

'It's not a problem if you have any spiritual beliefs but I like to ask. You see my last flatmate spent months trying to convert me, so if you were to live here please respect my life choices' ... or something along those lines. Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
08-01-2014, 12:20 PM
Responding to the OP only:

I'm pretty sure that even in the United States, freedom of association means that you do not have to accept someone as a roommate if you feel that person's religious views will be a cause of strife in the home. It's not like you're renting out an apartment and will never live with the person. That would be different. If we're going to share an address and living space, I can deny you for any reason I choose.

Now, if you want to be polite about it, just ask, politely. "What are your religious views and practices? Would you be comfortable living with an atheist?" Just get it out there in the open.
08-01-2014, 01:57 PM
(07-01-2014 04:38 PM)Pippen Wrote:  If they are a Christian?

Hi. This is my first post, hopefully it is in the right place. I'm posting on these boards because there seems to be a few Christians here too and I would like there view on how they would see it. Sorry if it is a bit long.

Basically I am an Atheist. Always have been always will be. I'm in NZ which is one of the least religious countries in the world. Christians are pretty thin on the ground here and I would be hard pressed to name 10 I know personally and I know a lot of people. Hell, I even went to a Presbyterian boarding school for 5 years and there wasn't a single religious person there the whole time. I even think the Chaplain was a closet Atheist. It's just that kind of place.

So when looking for a new roommate it is a pretty safe bet that they will be a godless heathen like me. You'd think. Anyway my last 3 roommates have all turned out to be Christians of the happy clappy born again type. I only find this out after they move in. I have nothing against their faith. I am more than happy for them. It's just not my thing.

I do find however that their world view is a bit screwy and it ends up causing me problems. They seem to think that paying rent is voluntary and when they get themselves into stupid situations instead of trying to find a practical solution they will pray about it for guidance. I know if I was having financial problems I would go and see my accountant, not some broke church pastor who tells them to have faith and the Lord will provide. It's almost like because they have been 'saved' it doesn't matter if the dick people around or have to take responsibility for their own lives. It's like an ongoing theme with them. It might seem like a making broad generalizations, but this is simply my experience.

So basically when interviewing people I want to find out if they are Christians, but in a way that isn't insulting or without having to explain that I am not discriminating on the grounds of their faith, but their approach to life, neither of which sounds very polite.

If there are an Christians on here reading this, how would you feel about being asked this? I don't see it as discrimination. I'm just trying to avoid anymore problems. Also is there a subtle way of doing it so it isn't so obvious?

Greetings to my cousin from the Land of the Long Flat Vowel! Big Grin

Two things:

1. Thank you for Ray Comfort. I think I speak for most of the western world when I say this. We here on the West Island of NZ only managed to produce Ken Ham so we must concede.

2. With respect to your OP, remind your new flattie that attendance at the weekly ritual cat massacre is required by the lease. That should solve your difficulties. (And your cat issues).

-- Max

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I am not afraid to go out of it that way.
08-01-2014, 02:41 PM
(08-01-2014 01:57 PM)nooneofconsequence Wrote:  Greetings to my cousin from the Land of the Long Flat Vowel! Big Grin

Two things:

1. Thank you for Ray Comfort. I think I speak for most of the western world when I say this. We here on the West Island of NZ only managed to produce Ken Ham so we must concede.

2. With respect to your OP, remind your new flattie that attendance at the weekly ritual cat massacre is required by the lease. That should solve your difficulties. (And your cat issues).

-- Max

Not so fast there. Dodgy

By applying the OTF (Outsider's Test of Fatuousness) it's a toss-up between Ham and Comfort.

I think there needs to be a tie-breaker.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user