Is there a polite way of asking a potential roommate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2014, 02:42 PM
RE: Is there a polite way of asking a potential roommate
Show them a fake stain above your bed that looks like Satan.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
08-01-2014, 06:09 PM
(08-01-2014 02:42 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Show them a fake stain above your bed that looks like Satan.

Actually just round the corner from me is a house with an underground temple that is meant to be a hot bed of Satanism back in the early 20's. It was built for the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn and apparently Jerry Springer did a show on some Satanists and they mentioned it as being Satans power base. I did happen to mention something about this to the deeply religious mother and she was mortified.
08-01-2014, 06:47 PM
(08-01-2014 02:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 01:57 PM)nooneofconsequence Wrote:  Greetings to my cousin from the Land of the Long Flat Vowel! Big Grin

Two things:

1. Thank you for Ray Comfort. I think I speak for most of the western world when I say this. We here on the West Island of NZ only managed to produce Ken Ham so we must concede.

2. With respect to your OP, remind your new flattie that attendance at the weekly ritual cat massacre is required by the lease. That should solve your difficulties. (And your cat issues).

-- Max

Not so fast there. Dodgy

By applying the OTF (Outsider's Test of Fatuousness) it's a toss-up between Ham and Comfort.

I think there needs to be a tie-breaker.

When Ham manages to produce an equivalent of the Banana Skit AND bums Kirk Cameron (or his metric alternative) then we'll need a tie breaker.

-- Max

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I am not afraid to go out of it that way.
08-01-2014, 06:57 PM
(07-01-2014 05:29 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Maybe you don't need to ask. Instead make sure it's obvious that you are an atheist , I believe that they will offer their view rather quickly.

Yeah just leave some atheist books strewn on your coffee table when you interview them. ... Consider ... Better yet add Crowley's The Book of Lies and The Diary of a Drug Fiend ... Consider ... And The Anarchist's Cookbook ... Consider ... scratch that last one, authorities might be called, stick with Crowley. Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
08-01-2014, 07:15 PM
I GOT IT!!

Ask if they want a drink and serve it with these!! Big Grin

[Image: 11486480663_88010802db.jpg]
1426659_623910034313722_1361478985_n by GDSmom, on Flickr

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
08-01-2014, 08:29 PM
(08-01-2014 07:15 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I GOT IT!!

Ask if they want a drink and serve it with these!! Big Grin

[Image: 11486480663_88010802db.jpg]
1426659_623910034313722_1361478985_n by GDSmom, on Flickr

Hell that would scare even me. One way to make babies interesting at least.
08-01-2014, 08:47 PM
I don't think you need to be subtle. You can just tell them where you stand as far as belief is concerned and their response should be enough for you to make a decision. Whatever they feel about your stance on god, should come out during that conversation. You can find a way to represent your side without being abrasive, but you should be the one setting the tone, in my opinion.

[Image: banner580x90_zpse43f1abd.png]
08-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Treat it like sexual preference, its irrelevant.
Theist house mates are like free cable TV.

Atheists are boring with their truth and facts obsession.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
09-01-2014, 03:23 AM
(08-01-2014 06:09 PM)Pippen Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 02:42 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Show them a fake stain above your bed that looks like Satan.

Actually just round the corner from me is a house with an underground temple that is meant to be a hot bed of Satanism back in the early 20's. It was built for the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn and apparently Jerry Springer did a show on some Satanists and they mentioned it as being Satans power base. I did happen to mention something about this to the deeply religious mother and she was mortified.

Think of the fun you could have had with that! Walking downstairs one day in a black habit tied with a piece of rope. Ceremonial knife on hip, cat in one hand, flame torch in the other... 'hey, I'm popping along to that temple we were talking about the other day! Do you wanna come? ' ... How did you resist? Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
09-01-2014, 08:40 AM
(08-01-2014 06:29 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 08:16 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  In the US he can certainly ask that!! Discrimination only applies to businesses with more than 50 employees

Fair Housing comes under Civil Rights Protections. They aren't just for businesses with more than 50 people. There are "protected classes" -- and you can't discriminate based on those classes….race, religion, handicap, sex, color, family status, national origin …..

But I do think there is a provision since they will be living together that would allow him to ask, but if he had an a place that he was renting out (and not living there himself), he would be in violation. And the OP isn't in US, so our laws don't matter anyway.

Again. You are talking about a business discriminating against you by refusing you as a customer. The fair housing laws do not apply to private persons renting a room in their own place.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson