Is there a reason why xtian families have a bazillion kids?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Is there a reason why xtian families have a bazillion kids?
SIL just announced #5 is due in April. SIL #2 has 5, maybe 6, I have lost count. My husband has 7 siblings, his cousins have 12!!! And now they are all reproducing like rabbits. Blink

seriously, WTF?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
30-10-2014, 01:17 PM
RE: Is there a reason why xtian families have a bazillion kids?
Lol. I originally read this as "Is there a reason why Christian families have Brazillian kids?"
I was thinking...uh...I don't know maybe they adopted?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 4 users Like Losty's post
30-10-2014, 01:17 PM
"Be fruitful and multiply. We're not quite sure why, just do it."

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
30-10-2014, 01:27 PM
(30-10-2014 01:17 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  "Be fruitful and multiply. We're not quite sure why, just do it."

"Finite resources? Carrying capacity? No, no, no; Jesus will save us before those become problems."

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
30-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Some take the "be fruitful and multiply" line to heart. It is actually quite a few that actually have litters. I went to a very large catholic church when we were in Houston (over 4000 registered families). There were just a few families that I recall that had more than 3 kids. Even in the church people would hint that they were crazy, but not to their face. You know the "maybe someone should get them a TV for their bedroom" type comments. The few I knew that had large families were not all there. There was one family with 7 kids I gave a crazy pass to. 3 belonged to one parent and 4 to the other, both were widowed at a young age by tragic circumstances, you just never know what love brings you.
30-10-2014, 01:32 PM
They don't believe in birth control?

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
30-10-2014, 01:45 PM
I can't speak for Protestants, but official Catholic teaching is that the primary purpose of sex is procreation, and that it is sinful to have sex without being open to the possibility of procreation. Therefore, not only is abortion a no-no, but so is contraception of any kind. Of course, many Catholics "cheat" on this, but those who take it to heart are likely to have large families.

Supposedly, St. Thomas Aquinas taught that masturbation was a worse sin than adultery or fornication, because the latter two at least retained the possibility of procreation. Masturbation was purely for pleasure, and we can't have that.
30-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Might be as simple as building a home and family is what they value most in life.
30-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Psalm 127:3-5 NIV

3 Children are a heritage from the Lord,
offspring a reward from him.
4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth.
5 Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.

They will not be put to shame
when they contend with their opponents in court.

This was part of a sermon when I was staff at a Methodist Church. There was a quiver full family there with nine kids and one on the way. His kids always had this deer in headlights look - they were waaaaay too quiet.

Off topic: I don't know how many they have now, but back in June he was running for State Congress and had all his mini mes out waving at cars passing my neighborhood. I freaked, went off on Facebook about him and the auburn hitler billboard, mom called upset thinking I was denouncing Christianity (cause I was), I deleted my rant, and shortly after joined here.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
30-10-2014, 02:01 PM
The particular group I am thinking of (husbands side of the family) are the homeschooling fundies teaching creationism supporting Dobson and Ham Facepalm

Just thinking about my side of the family and its probably more Catholic church influenced. SIL has 7, most have three kids, although a couple are up to 5 too.....sigh.

But then I start thinking of my mothers family, catholic, 5 kids. Of those 5 --2 of my uncles never had children or married, another uncle had 2 gay sons (no kids there), my aunt was normal with 3, and my mother married an atheist and had 5.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller