Is there a reason why xtian families have a bazillion kids?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2014, 03:23 PM
RE: Is there a reason why xtian families have a bazillion kids?
Mom has a friend whose son I played with as a kid. Has well into double digits now of kids.
The son I mentioned started lashing out and doing drugs and I bet it has to do with family size.

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2014, 03:46 PM
(30-10-2014 01:12 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  SIL just announced #5 is due in April. SIL #2 has 5, maybe 6, I have lost count. My husband has 7 siblings, his cousins have 12!!! And now they are all reproducing like rabbits. Blink

seriously, WTF?

In an age of ever declining religious numbers, it strikes me as natural that they would be encouraged to have an excess of children by their leaders.

Got to keep the numbers up, afterall.

Not to mention the wide-spread religious hatred of all things contraceptive and abortion. Or the whole 'be fruitful and multiply' stuff which I'm sure is being used to reinforce the first part.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
30-10-2014, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2014 03:59 PM by DLJ.)
In hunter/gatherer days ... large tribe good unless resources scarce.

Same after the move to agriculture.

No different as cities started to grow.

Nothing to do with religion.

In-group-ness evolved as a protection mechanism and this behaviour then became codified and ritualised.

This ain't rocket surgery.

The more interesting question is ... why wouldn't atheists have a bazillion kids?

30-10-2014, 04:06 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2014 04:10 PM by Bows and Arrows.)
(30-10-2014 03:54 PM)DLJ Wrote:  The more interesting question is ... why wouldn't atheists have a bazillion kids?

Consider

my atheist parents had 5. My Dad tried to give me some lame excuse once that revolved around not being educated in birth control. And when he asked questions he would always end up in front of the navy priest. Dodgy He was US Navy 6 years on Med cruises during the early 60's. I'm pretty sure the Navy talked about how not to knock up women in all the ports after being at sea for months on end. Angel

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
30-10-2014, 04:08 PM
(30-10-2014 03:54 PM)DLJ Wrote:  The more interesting question is ... why wouldn't atheists have a bazillion kids?

Because kids drain the funds and time you have to live your one life to the fullest.

Plus, they smell. Yes

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 5 users Like CleverUsername's post
30-10-2014, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2014 04:24 PM by Free Thought.)
(30-10-2014 04:08 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  

Because kids drain the funds and time you have to live your one life to the fullest.

Plus, they smell. Yes

And they are noisy and can't hold an intelligent conversation for the majority of their time near you.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
30-10-2014, 04:23 PM
Yeah, that.

And them being a source of nutrition n'all.

Dodgy

30-10-2014, 04:28 PM
(30-10-2014 03:54 PM)DLJ Wrote:  In hunter/gatherer days ... large tribe good unless resources scarce.

Same after the move to agriculture.

No different as cities started to grow.

Nothing to do with religion.

In-group-ness evolved as a protection mechanism and this behaviour then became codified and ritualised.

This ain't rocket surgery.

The more interesting question is ... why wouldn't atheists have a bazillion kids?

Not really. Having many children is primarily a response to high mortality rates, with no direct correlation to resource availability.

If children are instead very likely to survive, then having fewer allows greater expenditure of resources on each individual, improving their own chances of success.
(two principles common to reproductive strategies across all species)

Hence the models of demographic transition. Being a stubborn lot our behaviour (i.e., culture) changes in response to - but lagging behind - changing conditions.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
30-10-2014, 04:45 PM
(30-10-2014 04:28 PM)cjlr Wrote:  ...
Not really. Having many children is primarily a response to high mortality rates, with no direct correlation to resource availability.

If children are instead very likely to survive, then having fewer allows greater expenditure of resources on each individual, improving their own chances of success.
(two principles common to reproductive strategies across all species)

Hence the models of demographic transition. Being a stubborn lot our behaviour (i.e., culture) changes in response to - but lagging behind - changing conditions.

Consider

Not so sure about that. Convince me.

You seem to be underplaying the latter of these prime directives... consume, grow, procreate.

This requires resources (think: algae, bacteria etc. in a petri dish).

Explain it to me... how does the mortality rate not have a direct correlation to resource availability?

30-10-2014, 04:49 PM
(30-10-2014 02:59 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  "hooked on having babies".

I think there is a lot of truth in that. I am more and more convinced there are people who are hooked on pregnancy, childbirth and raising children like other people are addicted to alcohol and drugs.

I know a group of moms who get all emotional at the first day of school every year, every time the kid has a birthday. I don't understand the level of drama attached to it. And it seems like once a child reaches a certain point they want another just to go thru it all again. Its creepy.

I am far from being an unemotional attached mother, but milestones should be celebrated, not be depressing.

me thinks some just need to be needed by the needy.

edited to add link that explains better of what I was getting at. http://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/pr...rks?page=1

My youngest daughter had a boyfriend who's family was uber fundamentalist Christians. The mother had had five kids all above the age of 15 but at the age of 42 she wanted to start having babies again because the first five turned out so badly. The first five kids rebelled against the oppressive fundamentalist by taking up sex, drugs and satanic stuff. She felt that this new batch of kids wouldn't rebell because this time she and her husband were really going to do extra church stuff and force more religion on the new litter of kids.

It's a long story but I called the Child Protective Services on some of the things these two idiots were doing to their teenage children. In the middle of winter they were locking them out of the house for not going to church and making them recite passages from the Bible to get back into the house. Goddamn, fucking assholes.

Anyway, last I heard she'd had one baby and one miscarriage.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.