Is there a reason why xtian families have a bazillion kids?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2014, 07:08 AM
RE: Is there a reason why xtian families have a bazillion kids?
(30-10-2014 04:45 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Explain it to me... how does the mortality rate not have a direct correlation to resource availability?

The latter is but one of the contributing factors of the former. Consider, trivially, weather and disease as additional factors. I did not say no correlation; I very clearly said no direct correlation, in that there are obviously far more factors.

The lizard brain might just want procreation for procreation's sake, but the mammalian brain wants surviving, healthy offspring. To have children beyond one's ability to care for them is self-defeating.

That is, consider too the inverse correlation. Mortality increases when resource availability decreases. Throughout human history our fertility rates have broadly decreased as our material abundance increased.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2014, 07:11 AM
RE: Is there a reason why xtian families have a bazillion kids?
(30-10-2014 11:07 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(30-10-2014 03:54 PM)DLJ Wrote:  In hunter/gatherer days ... large tribe good unless resources scarce.

Same after the move to agriculture.

No different as cities started to grow.

Nothing to do with religion.

In-group-ness evolved as a protection mechanism and this behaviour then became codified and ritualised.

This ain't rocket surgery.

The more interesting question is ... why wouldn't atheists have a bazillion kids?

Atheists tend to be more educated which has a pattern of leading to less procreation, they also are less likely to adhere to traditions which can result in producing these old big families.

It's largely Catholics among the Christians that still really produce the high family rates. I suppose Mormons and Amish can be considered apart of that group too. They also have desires to reproduce to keep up their enclosed cultures.

Not so much these days. If you go to a catholic church you will have a hard time finding families with more than 2 kids. The immigrant Hispanics tend to still have large families and are predominantly catholic, but that tends to change quickly by the first generation of US born the birth rate goes way down.
Find all posts by this user
31-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Is there a reason why xtian families have a bazillion kids?
My mother was Roman Catholic and had 5 children

She then concerted to Islam and had 5 more. Does God not like vaginas?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user