Is there a single decent person below the Mason Dixon line?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2014, 08:42 AM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2014 08:45 AM by yakherder.)
RE: Is there a single decent person below the Mason Dixon line?
As a random fact, I'd like to add that most marriages in history have been between first cousins. In some countries it is so expected that the word for mate and first cousin is the same. Prior to modern medicine, child birth was so dangerous to both the mother and infant that the reduced genetic differences between first cousins, though still just different enough to minimize occurrences of birth defects (contrary to flawed popular belief), was the most rational way to minimize the danger and increase the chances of successful birth. It was quite recently that it began the transformation from expected to socially unacceptable.

And no I didn't marry my cousin, nor am I from the south, just keeping the judgements based on data rather than myth Tongue

But here's a short list of people who did marry first cousins:

Albert Einstein
H.G. Wells
Edgar Allen Poe
Charles Darwin

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2014, 08:48 AM
That said, homophobia, racism, and spousal abuse is a global problem, prevalent to varying degrees in most countries.

'Murican Canadian
11-11-2014, 09:06 AM
It's the south, I am surprised that you are upset that most of them are stupid.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
11-11-2014, 09:06 AM
I don't really know anyone from down there.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
11-11-2014, 09:35 AM
(11-11-2014 09:06 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  It's the south, I am surprised that you are upset that most of them are stupid.

Maybe I don't like stereotypes about entire groups of people - and this stereotype is about MY region. Huntsville helped put men on the fucking moon, and my grandmother was a part of that - I don't appreciate being stereotyped as stupid. I'm completely aware that ISIS doesn't represent all of the Middle East, just as people should be aware that a few rednecks with dial up internet access don't represent the entire southeastern United States.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
11-11-2014, 09:40 AM
It's not even a group of people.. the south and below the mason dixon line isn't even the same. Maryland isn't really the South nor is much of Virginia.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-11-2014, 09:54 AM
I'm from Washington state, but have lived in Texas and Florida and have family in Texas and Georgia.

My uncle, from Georgia, is a geologist who started a company which specializes in the cleanup of contaminated soil, such as beneath gas station pumps. He is neither stupid nor hateful or racist, but one of the most dependable, compassionate people in my family. Visiting his neighborhood as a kid, one of the things I remembered the most was how friendly, neighborly, and caring everyone was compared to many of the other places I'd seen.

Alas, we all have our experiences, and as humans are prone to irrational generalizations base on those limited experiences. It is from that tendency which racism and most of the above mentioned traits come, not just a few people in a specific region.

'Murican Canadian
11-11-2014, 09:59 AM
(11-11-2014 09:35 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(11-11-2014 09:06 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  It's the south, I am surprised that you are upset that most of them are stupid.

Maybe I don't like stereotypes about entire groups of people - and this stereotype is about MY region. Huntsville helped put men on the fucking moon, and my grandmother was a part of that - I don't appreciate being stereotyped as stupid. I'm completely aware that ISIS doesn't represent all of the Middle East, just as people should be aware that a few rednecks with dial up internet access don't represent the entire southeastern United States.

I am never one to say something without knowing there is always the exception to the rule

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
11-11-2014, 10:09 AM
I know a lot of people that are wonderful human beings who are in the south. I dont have to share their politics nor their view on religion to know they have great qualities otherwise.
To me people are fantastically complex creatures with wide ranges of emotions, wants & needs. Who am I to say what qualites they keep?
Sure... We all can make our own judgements and thats fair. I have likes & dislikes. But when possible I try to see a person as a whole.

Just sayin...

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
11-11-2014, 10:14 AM
There is "dumb" everywhere.

Does seem to cluster in the south, though.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post