Is there a statute of limitation on suing your parents?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Is there a statute of limitation on suing your parents?
In light of this, is there a statute of limitations on suing your parents?

When I was 7 (about 25 years ago), I was a smart mouthed little fella. I back-talked my mom, and she punished me by taking away my most loved possession - my NES.

I was so fed up with my parent's draconian rule, that I decided to run away. Keep in mind that I am 7 and my parent's house is surrounded by woods on 4 sides and they own 10 acres while my grandparents own the other 50 acres surrounding it.

I packed up my essentials. My NES controller and a few games and my favorite dinosaurs. I put them in a bag and headed off into the woods.

AND MY PARENTS LET ME.

A few hours later I got hungry and came home.

But that's irrelevant. The emotional damage that follows me even today from my parents letting me run away is considerable. I feel that they should compensate me for nearly 25 years of emotional strife.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
06-03-2014, 09:34 AM
RE: Is there a statute of limitation on suing your parents?
My mom let me run away, too. I was 4. She watched me walk up the street in my dress up high heels. She gave up before I did though and yelled to me that it was time to come back. Evil_monster

But didn't that judge say no? I don't think you stand much of a chance, sorry KC.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
06-03-2014, 09:36 AM
(06-03-2014 09:15 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  In light of this, is there a statute of limitations on suing your parents?

When I was 7 (about 25 years ago), I was a smart mouthed little fella. I back-talked my mom, and she punished me by taking away my most loved possession - my NES.

I was so fed up with my parent's draconian rule, that I decided to run away. Keep in mind that I am 7 and my parent's house is surrounded by woods on 4 sides and they own 10 acres while my grandparents own the other 50 acres surrounding it.

I packed up my essentials. My NES controller and a few games and my favorite dinosaurs. I put them in a bag and headed off into the woods.

AND MY PARENTS LET ME.

A few hours later I got hungry and came home.

But that's irrelevant. The emotional damage that follows me even today from my parents letting me run away is considerable. I feel that they should compensate me for nearly 25 years of emotional strife.

If I was an attorney I would take your case, either your parents will pay my fees or you will. Tongue

That case in NJ is crazy! Our gut reaction is for the judge to side with the parents, but I've heard some mumbling about an odd state law that NJ has on their books. ? I don't know the details of that law (or if one actually exists) but it is entertaining to watch.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
06-03-2014, 09:36 AM
You ran away. What kid hasn't? And every parent let them because they know it won't last long. And how do you know your father wasn't watching from a distance to be sure of your safety? Quit living in the past.
[+] 1 user Likes Takelababy's post
06-03-2014, 09:40 AM
My mom always asked if we wanted her to pack us a lunch before we left ? Weeping

I heard on the news the judge let her have it. She's already lost. The little whiny thang.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-03-2014, 09:42 AM
(06-03-2014 09:34 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  My mom let me run away, too. I was 4. She watched me walk up the street in my dress up high heels. She gave up before I did though and yelled to me that it was time to come back. Evil_monster

But didn't that judge say no? I don't think you stand much of a chance, sorry KC.

Well boo.

06-03-2014, 09:44 AM
(06-03-2014 09:36 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  If I was an attorney I would take your case, either your parents will pay my fees or you will. Tongue

That case in NJ is crazy! Our gut reaction is for the judge to side with the parents, but I've heard some mumbling about an odd state law that NJ has on their books. ? I don't know the details of that law (or if one actually exists) but it is entertaining to watch.

So you're saying there's a chance!

(06-03-2014 09:36 AM)Takelababy Wrote:  You ran away. What kid hasn't? And every parent let them because they know it won't last long. And how do you know your father wasn't watching from a distance to be sure of your safety? Quit living in the past.

[Image: 20130819-joker-x600-1376944399.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
06-03-2014, 01:41 PM
I asked my oldest kid to run away.

He refused.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-03-2014, 01:45 PM
(06-03-2014 01:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I asked my oldest kid to run away.

He refused.

My mom encouraged me to run away cause I ate so much. She said it would save her like $200 a month Sadcryface2

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
06-03-2014, 02:25 PM
(06-03-2014 01:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I asked my oldest kid to run away.

He refused.

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson