Is there a statute of limitation on suing your parents?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2014, 02:41 PM
RE: Is there a statute of limitation on suing your parents?
I keep telling my daughter that she is no longer welcome here, and must immediately find alternate accommodations.

Fuckin kid still comes home. Every night. Five minutes before curfew.

...and she doesn't even have a curfew. It's a 10:30 self-imposed week night curfew. Consider

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
06-03-2014, 06:26 PM
How has this affected you, KC? And what have you done about it since?

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
06-03-2014, 08:53 PM
When my uncle was a teenager he did something wrong (I don't know what) and knew his mum was gonna smack the shit outta him for it. He ran out the house and down the road. She just shouted after him that it didn't matter because he was gonna have to come back eventually and she wasn't gonna forget. Apparently he simply stopped and came back. Laugh out load

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
07-03-2014, 12:02 AM
(06-03-2014 09:15 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  In light of this, is there a statute of limitations on suing your parents?

When I was 7 (about 25 years ago), I was a smart mouthed little fella. I back-talked my mom, and she punished me by taking away my most loved possession - my NES.

I was so fed up with my parent's draconian rule, that I decided to run away. Keep in mind that I am 7 and my parent's house is surrounded by woods on 4 sides and they own 10 acres while my grandparents own the other 50 acres surrounding it.

I packed up my essentials. My NES controller and a few games and my favorite dinosaurs. I put them in a bag and headed off into the woods.

AND MY PARENTS LET ME.

A few hours later I got hungry and came home.

But that's irrelevant. The emotional damage that follows me even today from my parents letting me run away is considerable. I feel that they should compensate me for nearly 25 years of emotional strife.

One word: entitlement.

I hope this court proceeding is the first in a long line of events that introduce her to reality. She's 18, and from what I can tell is an entitled little shit who was given everything by her parents. It's their fault for spoiling her so, but she's an idiot to think their they're legally obligated to pay for her college because she had a shit-fit about them not approving of her boyfriend and left home.

Also, for those of you with an allergic reaction to reading news, here are The Young Turks with the same story KC linked to.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-03-2014, 12:08 AM
My parents didn't let me run away.
But my dad wouldn't apologize for the minor infraction of my emotions he committed when I told him to.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
07-03-2014, 12:44 AM
Oh man, same here.

I ran away, but didn't have anywhere to go really, so I was hiding out in an abandoned lot that was really wooded but only a couple blocks from my house. I would have been around 9 or so. About an hour after our normal supper time my dad comes tromping through calling for me.

When asked what the heavens I was doing, I decided I'd man up and tell them what I was up to. Turns out my dad just called the parents of my best friend who he knew I was hanging out with earlier to see where I was, my friend folded like a paper airplane.

So after I tell my folks I've had it and I'm running away, of course they wish me well and mom makes sure I've got some snacks. I walk out the door with a renewed confidence in my newfound independence.

It couldn't have been too long past midnight, laying alone on the dirt with my backpack acting like a pillow in an abandoned wooded lot a couple of blocks from my house, my walkman fresh out of batteries and the night noises abounding, that I decided I had to go back home until I could figure out a way of getting ahold of a car.

The door was unlocked when I got there, I climbed as silently as I could into bed. A few minutes later my dad came in and we had a respectful little talk about what it means to be a family and responsibilities and whatnot. He made it obvious that he was glad that I had come home, which made me feel better.

As he wished me goodnight and turned to head out the door and to bed, he flatly said, "Don't forget that you have to mow the lawn in the morning".

I love my dad.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
07-03-2014, 01:13 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2014 01:16 AM by Dee.)
My daughter ran away just after she turned 14. I kept bringing her home until one day she couldn't be found.

What I didn't know was that she needed to leave. She needed to keep herself safe from her father. Her father told her I knew all about it, so he effectively cut her off from me. She stayed silent. I found out 10 years later after so much damage was done to her precious psyche.

She is 35 now, and I wish she could sue her father. He took so much from her. Now she is ready--but statue of limitations won't allow it.

His life is fine: good job, 3 homes, another family. If she could sue him, at least she'd give him a good punch in the financial gut, to take something back--you know.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
07-03-2014, 01:18 AM
(07-03-2014 01:13 AM)Dee Wrote:  My daughter ran away just after she turned 14. I kept bringing her home until one day she couldn't be found.

What I didn't know was that she needed to leave. She needed to keep herself safe from her father. Her father told her I knew all about it, so he effectively cut her off from me. She stayed silent. I found out 10 years later after so much damage was done to her precious psyche.

She is 35 now, and I wish she could sue her father. He took so much from her. Now she is ready--but statue of limitations won't allow it.

His life is fine: good job, 3 homes, another family. If she could sue him, at least she'd give him a good punch in the financial gut.

I'm sorry that happened. Not fair.

*hugs*

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
07-03-2014, 06:52 AM
I remember telling my step mom I was going to run away once. She said "okay" unceremoniously, so I went upstairs to pack. I don't remember exactly what I grabbed, but I think it consisted of about $2 in change, some toys, probably no clothes, and I don't think I even packed any food.

When I got down stairs with my back pack, she wouldn't actually let me leave, and I thought it was an atrocity. At that point, I figured running away was a kid's only trump card, and she took it from me. What's funny is I think around that time I was starting to realize I had no game plan and that things likely wouldn't work out like I hoped they would. Heck, I didn't even know how I hoped they would work out. I think my thought progression was something like I'm pissed -> run away -> ??? -> Yay! It's like the underpants gnomes, but with less profit.

I'm sure the time will come when one of my two daughters decides to run away. I can see my wife letting them pack, and then critiquing their selection of items and making them think through the folly of their actions. The joys of marrying a teacher.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
07-03-2014, 06:57 AM
My oldest was going to run away when she was about eight. I went into her room and she had about a dozen big paper bags packed with her stuff. I asked her how she was planning to leave and she said on her bike. I scanned the bags sitting around the floor in her room and asked her how she planned on taking all those bags with her on a bike. She looked around her room and said she was staying after all. Didn't try to talk her out of it, just pointed out a flaw in the plan.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post