Is there a term for this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2013, 09:46 AM
RE: Is there a term for this?
Indoctrination.
You were conditioned to genuinely believe it all.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Caveman's post
24-09-2013, 10:12 AM
The state of being persuaded or convinced. I doubt there's a more specific word in english :/

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
24-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Caveman got it, it's indoctrination. Unfortunately, if people hear something over and over and everyone around them is the same, they believe it. It becomes status quo, and it is hard to imagine anything else being true.

Then, should you find cause to examine these beliefs, they come crumbling down. This can be very unsettling, as a huge part of what you were taught to be is now gone. The effect is close to grieving a close loved one, depending for how long and how deeply you were indoctrinated.

Once the indoctrination has been lifted, the belief has been shattered and reality is what is left. Now it seems unimaginable that one even ever believed this stuff.

Congrats by the way, it's often not easy to break away from old habits.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-09-2013, 10:15 AM
There's an odd dichotomy to it all.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

24-09-2013, 10:28 AM
I think I see what you mean.

"I was sure one way, dead certain in fact. I'da bet my life on it. Now I'm sure the other way. I'd bet my life on it." ... and you wonder, hey, maybe tomorrow I'll be sure a *different* way... Is it really reality that I'm thinking about or is it just my brain fucking with me ?

It's not really the dawn of a new understanding, the worry is that this new understanding is still possibly wrong...

I think as long as you bear that in mind... it's OK. It's perfectly fine to modify your world-view. And having had the experience of being a true believer, now you *know* why they don't see things your way - they can't understand how you don't see things their way Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
24-09-2013, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't say it's indoctrination, it works for some belief system but it doesn't work for facts. If someone comes and says to me that things don't fall when dropped I wouldn't understand how they can think such thing, I'm so utterly convinced how gravity (in a simple example, don't go to weird places) works that I couldn't fathom someone thinking otherwise, and I doubt I'm indoctrinated about it.

24-09-2013, 10:40 AM
(24-09-2013 10:32 AM)nach_in Wrote:  I wouldn't say it's indoctrination, it works for some belief system but it doesn't work for facts. If someone comes and says to me that things don't fall when dropped I wouldn't understand how they can think such thing, I'm so utterly convinced how gravity (in a simple example, don't go to weird places) works that I couldn't fathom someone thinking otherwise, and I doubt I'm indoctrinated about it.

Yeah, but you have proof of the opposite - you can plainly see the thing fall.

Religion - when taught from little on - there is no proof of the opposite that the child can see. Everywhere it turns, home, school, church, it all looks the same.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-09-2013, 10:40 AM
(23-09-2013 08:07 PM)onedream Wrote:  When I was a true believer in Christ, I just couldn't fathom how anyone could NOT believe the Bible. It astonished me.

Now that I'm a non believer, I cannot fathom how anyone CAN believe the Bible.

Is there. Psychological term for this state of mind?

Flip-flopping? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-09-2013, 10:53 AM
(24-09-2013 10:40 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-09-2013 10:32 AM)nach_in Wrote:  I wouldn't say it's indoctrination, it works for some belief system but it doesn't work for facts. If someone comes and says to me that things don't fall when dropped I wouldn't understand how they can think such thing, I'm so utterly convinced how gravity (in a simple example, don't go to weird places) works that I couldn't fathom someone thinking otherwise, and I doubt I'm indoctrinated about it.

Yeah, but you have proof of the opposite - you can plainly see the thing fall.

Religion - when taught from little on - there is no proof of the opposite that the child can see. Everywhere it turns, home, school, church, it all looks the same.

Yeah, but he's not asking about belief with or without proof, he's asking about that state of mind in which we can't comprehend that others don't believe what we see.

and that state of mind can be reached by anyone, it applies to anyone who strongly believes something and encounters someone with a different view. That's why I think indoctrination doesn't work that well.

I say persuasion or conviction, but they don't fully convey the idea either. But I can't find a better word Consider

[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
24-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Bingo. This is it. Very well surmised . Thank you.

(24-09-2013 10:28 AM)morondog Wrote:  I think I see what you mean.

"I was sure one way, dead certain in fact. I'da bet my life on it. Now I'm sure the other way. I'd bet my life on it." ... and you wonder, hey, maybe tomorrow I'll be sure a *different* way... Is it really reality that I'm thinking about or is it just my brain fucking with me ?

It's not really the dawn of a new understanding, the worry is that this new understanding is still possibly wrong...

I think as long as you bear that in mind... it's OK. It's perfectly fine to modify your world-view. And having had the experience of being a true believer, now you *know* why they don't see things your way - they can't understand how you don't see things their way Tongue
[+] 2 users Like onedream's post