Is there a term or argument name for this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2017, 03:07 PM
Is there a term or argument name for this?
Please move this if it is in the wrong forum.

On my commutes to work I tend to station surf the radio. Lately, I have heard the same minister on the radio say some pretty outrageous things. Usually I don't listen to this stuff but sometimes he says stuff that even hearing a sentence of is enough for me to notice. He said this today.

"The devil's greatest tool is to use discouragement against a believer."

He then used a FICTIONAL story about the devil using discouragement.

"The devil decided to have a yard sale, and so he spread out a blanket on his lawn and carefully displayed all of his tools for sale. He had hammers and knives, nails and razors. Each item had a price tag on it showing how much the devil was selling the tool for. Well, one person who went to the devil's yard sale looked over the display of tools and saw in the corner a LITTLE WEDGE that for its size was given a price higher than all the other tools he was selling. Surprised at this, the person asked the devil, "Why is that little wedge priced higher than any of your tools? It's so small." The devil smiled and cheerfully replied, "That wedge is named discouragement, and the price for the wedge is higher than all my other tools because I can't get near a believer with any of my other tools. But, with the wedge, I can get close enough and stick it in his mind and slowly pry it open. Then when I have opened him up, then I can use any of my other tools."

I have heard SO MANY ministers over the years use stories like these as though they are actually true. After all, I think almost everybody has seen that FOOTPRINTS IN THE SAND poem where Jesus explains to the concerned and questioning believer that at times of difficulty that HE was the one carrying them above the sands.

MY QUESTION:

Is there an official term or name for using made up stories to bolster an argument?

I did try Google and found lots of interesting stuff, just not stuff about this. THANKS.

"If all the historic books of the Bible were blotted from the memory of mankind, nothing of value would be lost."

Robert Green Ingersoll
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Oaken's post
07-07-2017, 03:09 PM
RE: Is there a term or argument name for this?
Yup.

Pure D bullshit.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
07-07-2017, 03:11 PM
(07-07-2017 03:07 PM)Oaken Wrote:  ...
MY QUESTION:

Is there an official term or name for using made up stories to bolster an argument?

They're called parables.

The bible's full of 'em.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
07-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Parable. Though in the dictionary I picked, it only says that Jesus used them to teach moral lessons and the like. So, yeah, that parable is bullshit, too.

Facepalm Ninja'd by DLJ. Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
07-07-2017, 03:17 PM
(07-07-2017 03:11 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 03:07 PM)Oaken Wrote:  ...
MY QUESTION:

They're called parables.

The bible's full of 'em.

Drinking Beverage

Thanks for the quick replies. But I was wondering if it would be different because the story was supposedly about REAL characters (even though the devil isn't) and was being used persuade a group. I know Jesus used parables but I would have thought it would be different if he put a name like Pontius Pilate was having a yard sale....

If it is the same then thanks for answering.

"If all the historic books of the Bible were blotted from the memory of mankind, nothing of value would be lost."

Robert Green Ingersoll
07-07-2017, 03:19 PM
At work.

Must admit the only other term that comes to my mind is "Analogy" ?

Consider
[+] 3 users Like Peebothuhul's post
07-07-2017, 03:20 PM
(07-07-2017 03:07 PM)Oaken Wrote:  Please move this if it is in the wrong forum.

On my commutes to work I tend to station surf the radio. Lately, I have heard the same minister on the radio say some pretty outrageous things. Usually I don't listen to this stuff but sometimes he says stuff that even hearing a sentence of is enough for me to notice. He said this today.

"The devil's greatest tool is to use discouragement against a believer."

He then used a FICTIONAL story about the devil using discouragement.

"The devil decided to have a yard sale, and so he spread out a blanket on his lawn and carefully displayed all of his tools for sale. He had hammers and knives, nails and razors. Each item had a price tag on it showing how much the devil was selling the tool for. Well, one person who went to the devil's yard sale looked over the display of tools and saw in the corner a LITTLE WEDGE that for its size was given a price higher than all the other tools he was selling. Surprised at this, the person asked the devil, "Why is that little wedge priced higher than any of your tools? It's so small." The devil smiled and cheerfully replied, "That wedge is named discouragement, and the price for the wedge is higher than all my other tools because I can't get near a believer with any of my other tools. But, with the wedge, I can get close enough and stick it in his mind and slowly pry it open. Then when I have opened him up, then I can use any of my other tools."

I have heard SO MANY ministers over the years use stories like these as though they are actually true. After all, I think almost everybody has seen that FOOTPRINTS IN THE SAND poem where Jesus explains to the concerned and questioning believer that at times of difficulty that HE was the one carrying them above the sands.

MY QUESTION:

I did try Google and found lots of interesting stuff, just not stuff about this. THANKS.

I once walked up to a preacher after a similar story told in church and asked him of that didn't fit into the lies category and he referred me to some parabulls that Jesus himself used. Was there really a man attacked on the road and a good Samaritan came along and helped him? He mentioned a few others and this justified his Bull shit. So yes parable is the word you are looking for.
[+] 2 users Like Born Again Pagan's post
07-07-2017, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2017 03:37 PM by Rockblossom.)
Um. It's a fable, like Aesop's fables that used animals, but with the Devil as the lead character. He tends to be the lead (and only character with two brain cells to rub together) in most Fundie stories. I find this one particularly funny, because it is literally telling the listeners to "keep a closed mind" and not let any little wedge of light enter their heads.
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
07-07-2017, 03:34 PM
Thanks.

Robert Green Ingersoll
07-07-2017, 03:39 PM
with generous use of analogy and metaphor

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post