Is there a term or argument name for this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2017, 04:25 PM
RE: Is there a term or argument name for this?
Agree with all the above.
Taking a stupid story to an extreme, the wedge equated to discouragement is a false equivalence. People become discouraged by repeated REAL failures. They're real, and have real consequences. If the preacher is trying to say the experiences of failure are not authentic, or invalid, he's the worst chaplain in the world. He's not only invalidating the experiences, but trying to invalidate the consequences. If he's trying by FEAR, (using the "devil" (at all) in the fable), he's de-authenticating the real in favor of his fairy tale. It's not a good long-term business model. Facepalm
That's a two-buck analysis of a one buck fable. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
08-07-2017, 12:48 AM
(07-07-2017 04:25 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  the wedge equated to discouragement is a false equivalence.

Thanks!

(07-07-2017 04:25 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  he's de-authenticating the real

Thanks again.

"If all the historic books of the Bible were blotted from the memory of mankind, nothing of value would be lost."

Robert Green Ingersoll
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-07-2017, 02:22 AM
Often such stories contain "straw man" representations of a type of person, usually including huge generalizations. They need these characters to think and act a certain way to make their points; ways real people rarely would.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
08-07-2017, 05:50 AM
(07-07-2017 03:19 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

Must admit the only other term that comes to my mind is "Analogy" ?

Consider

False analogy is the closest I can come up with too. I mean other than "silly".

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-07-2017, 11:55 PM
(08-07-2017 02:22 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Often such stories contain "straw man" representations of a type of person, usually including huge generalizations. They need these characters to think and act a certain way to make their points; ways real people rarely would.

I notice a lot of Straw Man arguments. Yup, loads of generalizations as well. Thanks.

"If all the historic books of the Bible were blotted from the memory of mankind, nothing of value would be lost."

Robert Green Ingersoll
[+] 1 user Likes Oaken's post
08-07-2017, 11:56 PM
(08-07-2017 05:50 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 03:19 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

Must admit the only other term that comes to my mind is "Analogy" ?

Consider

False analogy is the closest I can come up with too. I mean other than "silly".

Thanks for the link!

Robert Green Ingersoll
09-07-2017, 11:00 AM
(08-07-2017 02:22 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Often such stories contain "straw man" representations of a type of person, usually including huge generalizations. They need these characters to think and act a certain way to make their points; ways real people rarely would.

Sorry all for another post in a row but I wanted to comment about Robvalue's site being really useful. The terms you listed are really legit. In fact, I noticed a bunch of them used by Ray Comfort in his debate with Matt Dillahunty. Emotional Manipulation, Special Pleading, Irrelevant Conclusion, Conflation/Equivocation, False Dichotomy, Unsupported Assertion. It was embarrassing to listen to and I hated when Comfort used the most blatant and rude No True Scotsman against Dillahunty that I have ever heard. Dillahunty would have STILL won that debate had he responded with verses from Dr. Seuss.

Debate Link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOlD0d3dAh0

Robert Green Ingersoll
09-07-2017, 11:21 AM
Although other suggestions here seem more valid, my first reaction was spouting "fairy tales." They always have a villain and a hero. Usually a truly terrible villain who eats grandmothers and kidnaps babies. And usually some poor girl who needs to be rescued by a handsome prince. In my opinion they are at least partially responsible for communication issues between men and women of my generation. The women of my generation were read fairy tales as children and grew to expect a man to be able to sweep us off our feet, KNOW what we wanted/needed without us telling them, take care of our every need. Your basic "happily-ever-after" BS. Which is really sad when you really think about some of them. Especially the real ones, not the Disney versions, though the Disney versions send a lot of BS messages as well. Take Cinderella. Ladies, do we really want a man who can look us in the eye and not recognize us as the girl he danced with last night simply because we aren't wearing the same clothes----whose possible foot fetish is the only thing that helps him see it's you? (In the original at least one of the step-sisters cut off her own toes to fit that shoe, but that's a whole other issue.)

Sorry for running off subject like that, but that's pretty much the way I think of the Bible---as a fairy tale, a myth, a fable.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post