Is there a way to find out who has quoted me or responded to one of my posts?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2017, 04:55 PM
Is there a way to find out who has quoted me or responded to one of my posts?
At af.org there is an "Alerts" function that helps at least if someone quotes all or part of one of my posts. The only way I've found to do that here is to check back over my most recent posts to see if anyone has continued the discussion.

So is there a shortcut anyone can recommend? Thanks!

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2017, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2017 05:10 PM by Vera.)
RE: Is there a way to find out who has quoted me or responded to one of my posts?
You can use the search function and search for your name (used to sometimes do it when I wasn't around here very much, in case someone had replied to something I'd said - didn't want them to feel like I was ignoring them (I have a yuge problem with worrying I am talking to myself/bothering others, who are not even reading what I write and/or are wishing I'd stop and leave them alone)

But yeah, that's my suggestion Blush

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
27-07-2017, 05:14 PM
RE: Is there a way to find out who has quoted me or responded to one of my posts?
(27-07-2017 04:59 PM)Vera Wrote:  You can use the search function and search for your name (used to sometimes do it when I wasn't around here very much, in case someone had replied to something I'd said - didn't want them to feel like I was ignoring them (I have a yuge problem with worrying I am talking to myself/bothering others, who are not even reading what I write and/or are wishing I'd stop and leave them alone)

But yeah, that's my suggestion Blush

Thanks. I have the same concerns about missing someone's reply. My first attempts brought up old stuff when I just put in my user name. Then a mish mash of things when I put in "latest quotes of posts by whateverist". Is there a search you think might work better? Sorry to be so tech-y slow but .. you know .. watchugonna do?

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
27-07-2017, 05:21 PM
Nah, I, too, think, it would be nice to have a way of seeing if someone has quoted us.

How I do it is I put whatever I'm looking for in the search box, leave everything else as is and at the bottom, change "Show results as" from threads to posts.

A bit of a roundabout way, but it works for me. Yes

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
27-07-2017, 06:16 PM
I surf by my likes, mostly, and in those threads where I hold an unpopular opinion, I just try to remember which ones they were.

I understand an old codger like yourself might have issues with that last bit. Tongue
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
27-07-2017, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2017 06:24 PM by DLJ.)
I've never used it but in the bottom left corner you'll find a "Subscribe to this thread" option. That might help.

Based on previous feedback, I know that a lot of people use the 'Find All Posts Liked For' search on their profile page.

If one's preference is to give 'likes' as acknowledgement of having read/replied to a specific post (and there is no obligation so to do), then there's an increased likelihood of interaction.

This is why e.g. morondog has more interaction than e.g. Dark Wanderer.

It's a pity Shannow isn't around to provide some visual analysis of this phenomena.

Smile

Edited to add: See? Wot Thump just said. Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
27-07-2017, 06:25 PM
Do tell us more about the correlation between like-giving and empathy, DelJoy Tongue

27-07-2017, 06:57 PM
There isn't a separate function for this, unfortunately. I wish there was, as that would be a useful feature.

I track my likes because often people will "like" a post and then reply to it. If you subscribe to a thread, you can be notified of all responses, so you're less likely to miss someone quoting you. I believe you can also customize, to some extent, how you want to manage the subscription so your email doesn't blow up if the thread gets a lot of responses.
27-07-2017, 06:57 PM
(27-07-2017 06:25 PM)Vera Wrote:  Do tell us more about the correlation between like-giving and empathy, DelJoy Tongue

I suspect there is nothing (on any subject) I can tell you that you don't already know. I don't doubt you've read Eric Berne's stuff on Transactional Analysis.

If you have any insight on the biochemical mechanism regarding Theory of Mind (ToM), specifically what it takes to flip an 'other' (person, cuddly toy, imaginary friend etc.) from 'object' to 'subject', please throw it in my direction. I have a knowledge deficit in this area.

Cheers.

Thumbsup

27-07-2017, 07:15 PM
(27-07-2017 06:57 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I suspect there is nothing I can tell you that you don't already know. I don't doubt you've read Eric Berne's stuff on Transactional Analysis.

If you have any insight on the biochemical mechanism regarding Theory of Mind (ToM), specifically what it takes to flip an 'other' (person, cuddly toy, imaginary friend etc.) from 'object' to 'subject', please throw it in my direction. I have a knowledge deficit in this area.

Cheers.

Thumbsup

My, my, what big words and names, and concepts you're throwing at little old, vicious-Brazilian-virus-savaged me. Rolleyes

And I'll have you know, I don't have internal dialogues; it's more like the British parliament in there, with different chambers and people shouting "hear, hear", "for shame", and "order, order", among other things, our right, honourable mod...

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post