Is there an "atheist movement"? If so, what are its goals?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Is there an "atheist movement"? If so, what are its goals?
I know that the secular movement has a purpose of establishing and hopefully maintaining secularism byway of the separation of church and state, and while the majority of these people are atheist, it is not exclusively so, as many religious people are also for secularism and do not want to impose their religion through the state.

But what is the purpose of the "atheist movement"? Is it just to spread the perspective and hopefully convince enough people of it?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2014, 08:56 AM
RE: Is there an "atheist movement"? If so, what are its goals?
What "atheist movement" ?

Where does this movement exist ?, who runs it ?, who do you think is in charge of it ?

Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
19-03-2014, 08:59 AM
Quick answer: no.

Atir aissom atir imon
19-03-2014, 08:59 AM
I won't speak for others or a movement, but for me, I'd like to be an example for others who were like me. I'd like to be able to provide an educated response for when people ask why I don't believe in God, just in case they are asking because they too have their own doubts. Being completely honest, of course I'd like to convert them. It's my sincere belief that religion causes more harm than it does good. It causes you to reshape reality to fit your beliefs. I want to show that people can be good and can live perfectly healthy and happy lives, without God.

And on the flip side of the coin, I'd like to spread the perspective because before becoming an atheist, I never knew how distrusted and hated atheists were. I always knew 'godless atheist' was a derogatory term, but I never knew how bad it actually was. The more I read about atheism and others who shared similar beliefs, I came across different stats and studies saying how atheists are about as trusted as rapists. That was quite a shock. To the people who have lost friends or family, I'd like to be part of the group that extends a hand and doesn't discriminate because a 2000 year old book told me too.

edit: Maybe my answer was too much. I don't know of any atheist movement. If there was one....what I wrote above is more or less what I personally would like to see from it. Sorry for the long winded answer.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
[+] 3 users Like =jesse='s post
19-03-2014, 09:01 AM
(19-03-2014 08:42 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  I know that the secular movement has a purpose of establishing and hopefully maintaining secularism byway of the separation of church and state, and while the majority of these people are atheist, it is not exclusively so, as many religious people are also for secularism and do not want to impose their religion through the state.

But what is the purpose of the "atheist movement"? Is it just to spread the perspective and hopefully convince enough people of it?

[Image: Emperor-Palpatine.jpg]

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
[+] 2 users Like Crulax's post
19-03-2014, 09:08 AM
There doesn't necessarily need to be co-ordination and funds for a movement to come about. These things can happen because many people start independently coming to a similar conclusion. The occupy movement for example is made up of a number of different groups. If you go to a gay pride march then you'll see many different political groups marching, some of whom will be quite opposed to one another. Everyone will have different desires with regards to atheism. Some people would like to see the end to oppression and subjugation, others want to enlighten their fellow humans, other people just won't want anything in particular.
19-03-2014, 09:11 AM
To promote free-thought, rational, logic, critical thinking, &.......
.......I don't know.........I never actually found "the movement"...

I think it's mostly random, unaffiliated people with no stated goal or organization, asking the religious assholes (not the nice religious, just the assholes) to leave them alone.

19-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Usually when I hear terms like "atheist movement" or "atheist agenda", it's being said by the religious right to get the war drums going and fire up their persecution complex. I don't know of any official movement. There are official organizations, but it's not like any one of them gets to claim to be the "supreme authority of atheism", or something.
19-03-2014, 09:16 AM
The closest I found to a "movement" is watching atheist videos on YouTube, listening to atheist podcast, this forum, and a local atheist meetup group that seem to just meet up to hangout.

I don't know how much of an actual "movement" you would call that.

19-03-2014, 09:21 AM
'shimmyjimmy', on a sidenote, I am curious. Other than yourself (now that you accept the term) do you personally know of any atheist in your own personal life? Or are we all here, it?