Is there an "atheist movement"? If so, what are its goals?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2014, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2014 10:51 AM by Full Circle.)
RE: Is there an "atheist movement"? If so, what are its goals?
Organizing atheists, if you haven't already noticed, is like herding cats or pushing water uphill. The only people who are totally convinced that there is an atheist movement and that those in it are trying to deconvert their children or spit-roast them are the Xtians here in the US.

Personally I would be content with keeping religious teachings far, far away from secular schools and government. Unfortunately many believers won't be happy till they force everyone into believing like they do.

This leaves people like me having to speak up. This is analogous to defending yourself from a bully and then the bully crying foul and accusing you that you started the whole thing by putting your hands up and protecting your face from being hit. Dodgy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
19-03-2014, 10:36 AM
The only atheist movement I experience is when I sit on the toilet.
Big Grin

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 6 users Like Jeffasaurus's post
19-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Here ya go:

In this post, my interest is to classify specifically those atheists who are, in one way or another, on board with the atheist movement and ignore the various kinds of atheists who are uninterested in it or hostile to it.

...which is a link to a Camels with Hammers blogpost.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-03-2014, 11:29 AM
There clearly exists an organized atheist movement, for example groups like American Atheists. However, not all atheists are a part of it. In fact, a minority of the world's atheists are a part of it.

I think atheism is a very poor foundation for a movement because it is literally nothing. PZ Myers and Greta Christina recently got very upset when Massimo Pigliucci (correctly) pointed out that there is no logical contradiction between being pro-life and an atheist. Atheism is non-belief in gods, nothing more, nothing less.

Atheists are not necessarily for science and reason. Consider a Soviet child and a Saudi child. Both will have been indoctrinated, and both will likely be dogmatic. The Soviet child will hold the correct position on theism/atheism, but not due to critical thinking.

I think movements such as the skeptic movement and the humanist movement are more interesting, because they have positive philosophies around which their movements are based.

"Examine the religious principles, which have, in fact, prevailed in the world. You will scarcely be persuaded, that they are any thing but sick men's dreams." - David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes Loki's post
19-03-2014, 11:36 AM
There are atheist ORGANIZATIONS but I don't think there's a movement. It has simply become more socially acceptable to BE an atheist. For the first time in history it is possible to be an open atheist. Science has taken most of what religion used to hoard and explained it. And the internet has allowed people to communicate and share information. People who would otherwise have lied and professed religion are no longer as pressured to do so. Notice I say not AS pressured. As such more and more people are coming out as non-religious or as atheist.

And as there are more and more coming out they are beginning to demand their rights. They are beginning to demand the legal protection that the RELIGIOUS fought to give them back in the 18th century.
19-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Atheist agenda is... to live a good life, make the sexy time, eat devour forcefully kiss babies... these are the goals promoted by the atheist movement Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
19-03-2014, 04:26 PM
Any atheist movement is like watching starlings fly around.

[Image: starlings.jpg]

Beautiful and yet rarely ever go in any one direction for very long.

If there were a movement, I think it's goals would be to change the bible to one sentence "Don't be a prick".

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
19-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Religious people just don't seem to be able to wrap their head around the fact that atheists do not have a unifying creed - we have no creed. We don't have anything that unifies us - except perhaps defending ourselves against discrimination.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
19-03-2014, 06:13 PM
If by movement you mean "Atheists now speak up for themselves" than sure.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
19-03-2014, 06:15 PM
[Image: new%20atheists.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like Hobbitgirl's post