Is there an "atheist movement"? If so, what are its goals?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2014, 09:47 AM
RE: Is there an "atheist movement"? If so, what are its goals?
(19-03-2014 07:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It's to support the "homosexual agenda". What else did you think it was for ? Weeping

You satin-worshiping homogay. Laughat

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
20-03-2014, 09:52 AM
I too am not aware of any "movement" of the atheist kind.

I am hopeful for and do the best I can to support causes that remove religious thinking/dogma from our schools, laws & regulations. I also hope for a world one day where being an uncloseted atheist is not a career limited decision.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
Find all posts by this user
20-03-2014, 08:07 PM
I would not say that there is any kind of movement. However, atheists are starting to stand up for themselves more, and there are groups of atheists that fight unjust laws, like when atheists defeated a Florida school board that tried to quietly pass a law that would allow "intelligent design" to be taught in their classrooms. Best part is they did it under the Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/12/26...hool-board

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
20-03-2014, 08:11 PM
(20-03-2014 09:47 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(19-03-2014 07:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It's to support the "homosexual agenda". What else did you think it was for ? Weeping

You satin-worshiping homogay. Laughat

Umm no. I don't "worship" Satan. That's so gay.
I am possessed by a devil. Pleasy tole me so. So it MUST be true.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-03-2014, 09:18 PM
There is the basis for some sort of 'in my pants' joke waiting to be made here, but I can't seem to make it work... Consider

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
20-03-2014, 09:20 PM
(20-03-2014 09:18 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  There is the basis for some sort of 'in my pants' joke waiting to be made here, but I can't seem to make it work... Consider

You mean like "the only atheist movement is dumping on theists"? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-03-2014, 09:23 PM
(20-03-2014 08:07 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I would not say that there is any kind of movement. However, atheists are starting to stand up for themselves more, and there are groups of atheists that fight unjust laws, like when atheists defeated a Florida school board that tried to quietly pass a law that would allow "intelligent design" to be taught in their classrooms. Best part is they did it under the Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/12/26...hool-board

Agree with this. I see nothing wrong with religious freedom or atheist activism, but just don't want to see those freedoms be taken to extremes. IOW, I don't want religious views shoved in my face and I don't intend on pushing my own views on religious people.

But, if we plant seeds, they will come. Big Grin

The beauty of the heart, is the lasting beauty. - Rumi Heart
20-03-2014, 11:23 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2014 11:59 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(20-03-2014 09:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-03-2014 09:18 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  There is the basis for some sort of 'in my pants' joke waiting to be made here, but I can't seem to make it work... Consider

You mean like "the only atheist movement is dumping on theists"? Consider

I was thinking more along the lines of an erection, not a bowel movement. I mean, unless you're old enough that you can no longer remove your pants to shit anymore... Shocking

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
20-03-2014, 11:48 PM
Re: Is there an "atheist movement"? If so, what are its goals?
There's atheist movements... But there's no 1 "atheist movement"

Atheist organizations like the American Atheists or the ACA have their own outlined agendas and movement concepts.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
21-03-2014, 08:49 AM
Here is the mission statement of American Atheists:

American Atheists, Inc., is organized
* to stimulate and promote freedom of thought and inquiry concerning religious beliefs, creeds, dogmas, tenets, rituals, and practices;
* to collect and disseminate information, data, and literature on all religions and promote a more thorough understanding of them, their origins, and their histories;
* to advocate, labor for, and promote in all lawful ways the complete and absolute separation of state and church;
* to advocate, labor for, and promote in all lawful ways the establishment and maintenance of a thoroughly secular system of education available to all;
* to encourage the development and public acceptance of a humane ethical system stressing the mutual sympathy, understanding, and interdependence of all people and the corresponding responsibility of each individual in relation to society;
* to develop and propagate a social philosophy in which humankind is central and must itself be the source of strength, progress, and ideals for the well-being and happiness of humanity;
* to promote the study of the arts and sciences and of all problems affecting the maintenance, perpetuation, and enrichment of human (and other) life;
* to engage in such social, educational, legal, and cultural activity as will be useful and beneficial to the members of American Atheists and to society as a whole.

Source: http://www.atheists.org/about-us/aims-and-purposes

I think the short paraphrase is: We aren't here to convert people, but we are here to claim our place in society. We reject discrimination based on religion or no religion. We assert the right to stand up and say that we don't believe.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post