Is there any credability to this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2012, 02:33 AM
Is there any credability to this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGj5rlOaTIg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL2gmEVZP44

I was debating a guy on another site and i was making the claim that while technically it was impossible to fly faster then light (the ship is flying faster than light) because of the old E = mc².
It is in fact possible in theory at least to move faster then light (your ship is being pushed faster to go than light).

And i sited the video above as evidence for this claim.

Unfortunately he wasn´t very convinced by it siting that most of the video was bad science with no peer reviewed articles to support any of the claims made in the video.

Well i was wondering is there any peer reviewed journals out there to support the claims made in this video (that warp drive as seen in Star Trek is actually possible) and if so could anyone link me to them??
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2012, 03:11 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2012 10:23 AM by Logica Humano.)
RE: Is there any credability to this?
The only way FTL travel is possible is if you are able to significantly reduce the mass of an object. There are certain sub atomic particles that travel faster than light, but that is simply because they have no mass, or close to none. As of now, there is no way to even travel close to the speed of light (light is 874,030 times faster than the speed of sound), so your theoretical arguments, though interesting, are impossible to know.

I would never use Star Trek as means of argument, since there is a scene in which they use conventional explosives to boost themselves away from a black hole.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
12-07-2012, 08:00 AM
(12-07-2012 02:33 AM)Erikjust Wrote:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGj5rlOaTIg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL2gmEVZP44

I was debating a guy on another site and i was making the claim that while technically it was impossible to fly faster then light (the ship is flying faster than light) because of the old E = mc².
It is in fact possible in theory at least to move faster then light (your ship is being pushed faster to go than light).

And i sited the video above as evidence for this claim.

Unfortunately he wasn´t very convinced by it siting that most of the video was bad science with no peer reviewed articles to support any of the claims made in the video.

Well i was wondering is there any peer reviewed journals out there to support the claims made in this video (that warp drive as seen in Star Trek is actually possible) and if so could anyone link me to them??
As the velocity increases, so does the mass. At the speed of light, the mass is infinite so no amount of energy is sufficient to accelerate it beyond the speed of light.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
12-07-2012, 08:12 AM
There was an interesting special about this on Into The Universe with Steven Hawking. It's still on Netflix, I think, if you want to check it out.

The discussion was about time travel involving FTL speed. Supposedly if you build a railway around the world so that a supertrain could accellerate so that it travels around the entire circumference of the earth seven times per second it would be going at nearly light speed. That train, going nearly the speed of light, has passengers on it. If one of those passengers gets out of their seat and runs down the aisle of the train to then achieve FTL speeds, would actually slow down because the laws of physics are hardcoded to prevent FTL travel.

Something along those lines. It's been a while since I've seen it. Smile
12-07-2012, 08:19 AM
http://arxiv.org/abs/0807.1957 One of many. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
12-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Yeah, that Michio cat is pretty fluffy for a scientist. Big Grin

I got some fluffy of my own - wormhole of tao - derived from a fistful of broken omnis. Like how god is omni this and omni that? I wuz thinking, that what makes space, space, is differentiation; and beyond the Planck limit may exist undifferentiated space. And where one point is no different from any other point, one should be able to go in here and come out anywhere. As long as we avoid the coming out everywhere part... that might be unfun. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
12-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Okay it seems I need to explain a little about what he is saying about Warp drive.

And easy way to explain what warp drive does (and how it allows you to move faster then light despite the theory of relativity says its not possible) it take a pen and a piece of paper.
The paper needs to be folded like this /\/\/\/\ now place the pen on the top of the fold thats turned towards you like this _
/\/\/\/\.

Now start pulling on the paper at the same end as the pen until the paper is smote once again.
_
If done right the pen should now be on the opposite side of the paper ______ yet the pen hasn´t moved even a single centimeter space around it has.
It could be equaled to a car lifting up in the air and standing completely still while the earth rotated beneath it. The car itself wouldn´t have move and yet to the naked eye it would seem as if the car just flew of at amazing speed.
And as far as i understand it that´s basically what the FTL theory amounts to that by folding space in front of the ship and rapidly expanding it behind it you can active faster light speed without actually moving out of place.
[+] 3 users Like Erikjust's post
12-07-2012, 11:44 AM
It has already been explained to you why it is impossible, for any of the conventional ideas, to go FTL.

13-07-2012, 02:08 AM
Have you all forgotten that a week ago Higgs boson was confirmed? Since we now know what gives us mass, we can explore all the aspects of this boson and the mechanics that it uses, as well as it's fields and energies. Why wouldn't we be able to influence these fields of energy and those mechanics in the future? If we can manipulate our mass, this whole talk begins to sound more reasonable.

Also, this Star Trek warp field, and the bending of space around us sounds pretty incredible and not-possible NOW, but give it another 50, 100 years and who knows what we will discover? Could it be possible in some sense? Why not, just think of all the things that were absolutely impossible to think about 100 years ago, and look at all the iPhones and Space Stations we have today...

We can not seriously talk about this subject, but there are some theoretical equations that support FTL travel. There are some who deny the possibility. Wait and see, I say.

Trust in Gene Roddenberry!

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
13-07-2012, 05:09 AM
(13-07-2012 02:08 AM)Filox Wrote:  Have you all forgotten that a week ago Higgs boson was confirmed? Since we now know what gives us mass, we can explore all the aspects of this boson and the mechanics that it uses, as well as it's fields and energies. Why wouldn't we be able to influence these fields of energy and those mechanics in the future? If we can manipulate our mass, this whole talk begins to sound more reasonable.

Also, this Star Trek warp field, and the bending of space around us sounds pretty incredible and not-possible NOW, but give it another 50, 100 years and who knows what we will discover? Could it be possible in some sense? Why not, just think of all the things that were absolutely impossible to think about 100 years ago, and look at all the iPhones and Space Stations we have today...

We can not seriously talk about this subject, but there are some theoretical equations that support FTL travel. There are some who deny the possibility. Wait and see, I say.

Trust in Gene Roddenberry!
Everything in this thread as stated something along the lines of "with conventional methods" or "with current knowledge", but thanks for clearing that up. Additionally, what does the Higgs Boson have to do with reducing the matter of an object? It took us ages to find that thing, I am not going to be overly optimistic here and say, "Oh, well, we found it and now, since we did, this weekend we will fly to Neptune in 30 seconds."