Is there any credability to this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2012, 09:55 AM
RE: Is there any credability to this?
(12-07-2012 02:33 AM)Erikjust Wrote:  It is in fact possible in theory at least to move faster then light (your ship is being pushed faster to go than light).

Krauss seems to think so:

"If you were able to manipulate a Higgs field over a large region so that it had energy, it would be gravitationally repulsive. It would cause that region of the universe to accelerate and move things apart faster than light, which is pretty neat." - Lawrence Krauss

Of course, it comes with quite a cost. Big Grin

"If I could manipulate a Higgs field, that would be a first step in making a transporter, but the only way I know of to manipulate the Higgs field is to heat the whole thing up to such an incredible temperature that it's not surprising you'd disappear anyway."

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-07-2012, 10:04 AM
(14-07-2012 07:20 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(13-07-2012 11:25 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  What's this we stuff? Tongue
I am sorry. I just assumed that the majority of people on here would want to think rationally and attempt to think of science as a series of stepping stones.
Stepping stones is right, with the discovery of the higgs though who can say what paths will open up to us. Science may well be baby steps at a time, technical application of science can be more jumpy than that though. As to FTL can we do it today no, will we be able to tomorrow probably not, will it one day be as routine as flight who knows. Todays magic has a history of becoming tomorrows mundane.

End of the day, we are far from knowing everything, so who can definitily say.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-07-2012, 01:33 PM
(14-07-2012 10:04 AM)Humakt Wrote:  
(14-07-2012 07:20 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I am sorry. I just assumed that the majority of people on here would want to think rationally and attempt to think of science as a series of stepping stones.
Stepping stones is right, with the discovery of the higgs though who can say what paths will open up to us. Science may well be baby steps at a time, technical application of science can be more jumpy than that though. As to FTL can we do it today no, will we be able to tomorrow probably not, will it one day be as routine as flight who knows. Todays magic has a history of becoming tomorrows mundane.

If we cannot even create artificial gravity on the ISS, I doubt we will be able to even travel close to the speed of light. In this sense, it is a series of stepping stones. We did not go to the moon, and then figure out how to use rockets.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
16-07-2012, 06:48 AM
(15-07-2012 01:33 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(14-07-2012 10:04 AM)Humakt Wrote:  Stepping stones is right, with the discovery of the higgs though who can say what paths will open up to us. Science may well be baby steps at a time, technical application of science can be more jumpy than that though. As to FTL can we do it today no, will we be able to tomorrow probably not, will it one day be as routine as flight who knows. Todays magic has a history of becoming tomorrows mundane.

If we cannot even create artificial gravity on the ISS, I doubt we will be able to even travel close to the speed of light. In this sense, it is a series of stepping stones. We did not go to the moon, and then figure out how to use rockets.
Confused arent my first 4 words "stepping stones is right", as far as creating artifical gravity on the ISS, we cant create artifical gravity full stop. However, the addition of rotating section could "approximate" a gravitational force through centrifugal force, as seen in many sci fi depictions and in NASA training where they spin people really fast to increase the G they expierance, so in that example it is not a scientific understanding that prohibits us, but an engineering problem we are not devoting resourses to. I fail to see how in any case this is related to travelling at or close to light speed however. You say "In this sense, it is a series of stepping stones." whilst quoting me as if to refute a claim I have made that it is not, as Ive already said both in my original post, the quote youve quoted and again in this response I say quite clearly that it is. If I'm misreading "In this sense, it is a series of stepping stones." as contradictidicting or refuting what I havent said then I look forward to the context as to what you mean. As to your going to the moon and figuring out rockets later, genuinly have no idea how or why this relates to what Ive said.

But I'll dumb it down so there's no confusion: Meh I dunno, maybe. Thats basically what I said and thats basically what I meant.

You can doubt, thats coolio. I personally, ceased being surprised as to the bat shit crazy nature of physics a while back, the advances made in my life time let alone the last century have completly changed all our lives several times over, so many revlutionary discoveries that were thought impossable and were widely debunked until they became iPads and dolly the sheep, that I'd have trouble numbering them. At any rate as a conservative estimate we are a ways away from FTL if it is even possable, but not being able to predict the future whilst at the same time able to study the past Im not prepared to rule it out, who can say what tomorrow will bring.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
16-07-2012, 07:03 AM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2012 07:55 AM by Logica Humano.)
(16-07-2012 06:48 AM)Humakt Wrote:  
(15-07-2012 01:33 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  If we cannot even create artificial gravity on the ISS, I doubt we will be able to even travel close to the speed of light. In this sense, it is a series of stepping stones. We did not go to the moon, and then figure out how to use rockets.
Confused arent my first 4 words "stepping stones is right", as far as creating artifical gravity on the ISS, we cant create artifical gravity full stop. However, the addition of rotating section could "approximate" a gravitational force through centrifugal force, as seen in many sci fi depictions and in NASA training where they spin people really fast to increase the G they expierance, so in that example it is not a scientific understanding that prohibits us, but an engineering problem we are not devoting resourses to. I fail to see how in any case this is related to travelling at or close to light speed however. You say "In this sense, it is a series of stepping stones." whilst quoting me as if to refute a claim I have made that it is not, as Ive already said both in my original post, the quote youve quoted and again in this response I say quite clearly that it is. If I'm misreading "In this sense, it is a series of stepping stones." as contradictidicting or refuting what I havent said then I look forward to the context as to what you mean. As to your going to the moon and figuring out rockets later, genuinly have no idea how or why this relates to what Ive said.

But I'll dumb it down so there's no confusion: Meh I dunno, maybe. Thats basically what I said and thats basically what I meant.

You can doubt, thats coolio. I personally, ceased being surprised as to the bat shit crazy nature of physics a while back, the advances made in my life time let alone the last century have completly changed all our lives several times over, so many revlutionary discoveries that were thought impossable and were widely debunked until they became iPads and dolly the sheep, that I'd have trouble numbering them. At any rate as a conservative estimate we are a ways away from FTL if it is even possable, but not being able to predict the future whilst at the same time able to study the past Im not prepared to rule it out, who can say what tomorrow will bring.
Your statement involving the "technicalities" of science implied that you are agnostic of the scientific procedure. I read it in a sense that you believe that it can be stepping stone sometimes, but not all the time. If I misinterpreted that, I apologize.

I am also well aware of how artificial gravity is created.

We can safely assume, based on patterns in reality and in known science, what tomorrow will bring. A longer period, of course, is more difficult to predict. Wink

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
16-07-2012, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2012 08:33 AM by Humakt.)
(16-07-2012 07:03 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(16-07-2012 06:48 AM)Humakt Wrote:  Confused arent my first 4 words "stepping stones is right", as far as creating artifical gravity on the ISS, we cant create artifical gravity full stop. However, the addition of rotating section could "approximate" a gravitational force through centrifugal force, as seen in many sci fi depictions and in NASA training where they spin people really fast to increase the G they expierance, so in that example it is not a scientific understanding that prohibits us, but an engineering problem we are not devoting resourses to. I fail to see how in any case this is related to travelling at or close to light speed however. You say "In this sense, it is a series of stepping stones." whilst quoting me as if to refute a claim I have made that it is not, as Ive already said both in my original post, the quote youve quoted and again in this response I say quite clearly that it is. If I'm misreading "In this sense, it is a series of stepping stones." as contradictidicting or refuting what I havent said then I look forward to the context as to what you mean. As to your going to the moon and figuring out rockets later, genuinly have no idea how or why this relates to what Ive said.

Your statement involving the "technicalities" of science implied that you are agnostic of the scientific procedure. I read it in a sense that you believe that it can be stepping stone sometimes, but not all the time. If I misinterpreted that, I apologize.

I am also well aware of how artificial gravity is created.

We can safely assume, based on patterns in reality and in known science, what tomorrow will bring. A longer period, of course, is more difficult to predict. Wink
Im not sure you can live in a technological society and be without knowledge of science, willfully ignorant is another matter as is uneducated. I certainly have no formal scientific education, but a large lay interest. By technicalities I assume your refer to the phrase technical applications, by that I meant technology as it stands seperate from science. The computer Im using to conduct this conversation is the technical application of the science that led to its invention. Theres no need to apologise, I recognise the imprecise nature of language to impart meaning, read my .sig Smile.

Im sure you are well aware that simulated gravity is possable on the ISS, even if its not gravity.

As to safely assuming what tomorrow will bring, well Im not a gambling man Smile, but yes even if we can have some confidence in predictions of tomorrow, confidence is inversly proportional to the number of tomorrows you add Smile

But back on point, short of a grand unified theory, I think that as our model is incomplete we're not yet at the stage of making definitive statements about anything, wether that be FTL, the existence of the divine or whats the best way to cook eggs.

So I guess in that sense I am some what agnostic on the answers as I dont know what they are, but Im no more agnostic on the big picture than the best educated and most brilliant sciensts as they like wise dont know the answers, even if they know more about the questions.

[+] 1 user Likes Humakt's post
23-07-2012, 06:21 AM
I have been skimming through this thread with some interest, firstly I must say I believe Dr Michio Kaku to be outrageously optimistic, as well as playing extremely fast and loose with the laws of physics, I have seen some of the other episodes in this serious and they all mirror this trend, where he grossly ignores the practicality and economic feasibility of many of the fabulous science fiction fantasies he pedals, with such things being one of the leading restrains on many aspects of science such as space travel in the present day

That being said, I also believe that, very broadly speaking, he is often loosely correct, including in this instance, I think faster than light travel by means such as a warp drive may very well be possible, but I also believe it will be at least 500 years before we see anything even remotely practical, for now I think that solutions such as deep space fully automated probes, and slower than light sleeper ships for extra solar colonisation, most likely for any prospects of exploring beyond our solar system, assuming we can develop a viable means of slower than light propulsion for inter solar travel, and vastly improved life support systems.

I predict that such goals may be met with in as little as a hundred years, for sleeper ships, as for extra solar probes, and depending on what you define as extra solar, we have already achieved this, be it unintentionally, with voyager, and it is not implausible that more practical devices could be constructed within 50, or perhaps even 25 years with a well funded space program, although of course it would take many decades for them to actually reach even the nearest star systems once launched.

As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil which they set out to destroy.
- Christopher Dawson

Battle not with monsters, lest you become a monster.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
24-07-2012, 01:57 AM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2012 02:19 AM by Filox.)
I just had a great idea about a sleeper ship. How to sleep for a very long time? You sleep, then you wake up, smoke some space joint and you can go back to sleep for 2 more days. Isn't it perfect for long travelling? I can already see myself in deep space, everybody sleeping around me, and I am doing the ship inspections, while smoking a nice fat one... Then going to sleep myself after the tour is finished.

Perfect.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
24-07-2012, 05:22 AM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2012 05:31 AM by houseofcantor.)
Fuckin' Filox... you don't even need a spaceship. Big Grin

And if this idiot is dreaming of "wormhole of tao" and seeing a correlation with dark energy, somebody with a real brain somewhere is doing some real thinkin'.
more like fifty years than five hundred. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
24-07-2012, 05:26 AM
HoC, even you can't understand the ways my brains works...

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson