Is there any credability to this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2012, 05:30 AM
RE: Is there any credability to this?
Yeah, because there ain't enough MJ around... and if I had that much, I wouldn't be typing. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2012, 12:26 AM
(13-07-2012 05:09 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(13-07-2012 02:08 AM)Filox Wrote:  Have you all forgotten that a week ago Higgs boson was confirmed? Since we now know what gives us mass, we can explore all the aspects of this boson and the mechanics that it uses, as well as it's fields and energies. Why wouldn't we be able to influence these fields of energy and those mechanics in the future? If we can manipulate our mass, this whole talk begins to sound more reasonable.

Also, this Star Trek warp field, and the bending of space around us sounds pretty incredible and not-possible NOW, but give it another 50, 100 years and who knows what we will discover? Could it be possible in some sense? Why not, just think of all the things that were absolutely impossible to think about 100 years ago, and look at all the iPhones and Space Stations we have today...

We can not seriously talk about this subject, but there are some theoretical equations that support FTL travel. There are some who deny the possibility. Wait and see, I say.

Trust in Gene Roddenberry!
Everything in this thread as stated something along the lines of "with conventional methods" or "with current knowledge", but thanks for clearing that up. Additionally, what does the Higgs Boson have to do with reducing the matter of an object? It took us ages to find that thing, I am not going to be overly optimistic here and say, "Oh, well, we found it and now, since we did, this weekend we will fly to Neptune in 30 seconds."

I feel that often finding something is the hardest part, especially if you are not certain that it exists. While there was math that supported the existence of the higgs boson, the only way to know for sure is to locate one. Once located, it is easier to study because you can always obtain others. I think learning to manipulate it will go quicker than finding the damn thing did.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
22-09-2012, 06:31 PM
http://www.space.com/17628-warp-drive-po...light.html
Well if this guy is right Warp drive just went from only in sci-fi to maybe not in our lifetime, but defiantly not impossible its worth further research.
22-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Those babbling on about how you can't go FTL due to mass restrictions don't really understand the proposed way that the Alcubierre drive would theoretically work.

The real question about an Alcubierre style warp drive is not a question of mass. You would be able to move any object of any mass at any speed you choose if it is actually possible.

The real question is: is it feasible to warp space-time in such a way as is proposed by Alcubierre? The answer for now is: we have no clue whatsoever.
24-09-2012, 05:14 AM
And you are all wrong... As always, I will now educate you all. Smile

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/techno.../warp.html

When people tell me that I should not mention Star Trek, because it is a sci-fi series, with nothing to do with reality, I always love to prove them wrong. So, here we have a nice big article about Star Trek's warp drive, on official NASA pages. I guess that it is not that funny and stupid, if NASA is writing about it...

(12-07-2012 03:11 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I would never use Star Trek as means of argument, since there is a scene in which they use conventional explosives to boost themselves away from a black hole.

So, maybe you wouldn't, but it appears that NASA is using Star Trek. Oh, wait, what was that about explosives and moving the ship? Sounds awfully familiar ... wait ... how was it ... oh that's right, Project Orion. http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/techno...aknow.html

But, I don't want you to think that I don't read what I post, so I have come to the end and that includes NASA's conclusion.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/techno...canwe.html

Quote:When will we have Warp Drive?
Not until we get the required breakthroughs in physics.

* Controlling of Gravity
* Exceeding Light Speed

So there we have it. Even NASA is looking into Star Trek for possible solutions/ideas. Do they work? Not today. Is it a good theory? Yes it is.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
24-09-2012, 09:18 AM
(24-09-2012 05:14 AM)Filox Wrote:  So, maybe you wouldn't, but it appears that NASA is using Star Trek. Oh, wait, what was that about explosives and moving the ship? Sounds awfully familiar ... wait ... how was it ... oh that's right, Project Orion. http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/techno...aknow.html

But, I don't want you to think that I don't read what I post, so I have come to the end and that includes NASA's conclusion.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/techno...canwe.html

You may read what you post, but you don't read what I post. When did Project Orion use explosives in order to escape the gravitational pull of a black hole?

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
24-09-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm pretty sure the last claim to a subatomic particle moving faster than light was wrong because the instruments picked up tremors and other interference as well. As for the train thing, it wasn't mass increasing, it was time slowing down.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
24-09-2012, 01:57 PM
No one here has any understanding of how relativity actually works. Then again, neither do I, but I do know enough to tell you that most of you are wrong.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
24-09-2012, 10:25 PM
(12-07-2012 03:11 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I would never use Star Trek as means of argument, since there is a scene in which they use conventional explosives to boost themselves away from a black hole.

Ok, that movie was a piece of shit. Nothing in it counts. Abrams is a moron.

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
25-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Of course we will not take a movie as a serious scientific ... anything. Project Orion did not use explosives to escape the black hole, but it was a theory that a ship can use explosives to push it in certain direction. Not only that, but those explosions would actually be the "propulsion engine" for that ship. So there is a pretty big similarity with the idea from a movie. If you want to cherry pick, no, Project Orion was never tested in reality, nor was it used to escape the black hole, but do you really have to cherry pick like this? Wasn't the similarity of the "explosion drive" similar, almost identical? So if the theory from reality has some scientific basis and if it has a chance to actually work, than the makers of the movie were no that far from the truth after all.

Anyway, my conclusion was not to say that Star Trek is the real science on TV screen, it was to say that theoretically there is a possibility for the warp drive. But it remains a theory until we learn a lot more about the physics and technology needed for the basics of those experiments. So maybe in a hundred years to start asking these question again? Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson