Is there anything atheists would refuse to print on a t-shirt?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2014, 07:09 PM
RE: Is there anything atheists would refuse to print on a t-shirt?
(10-10-2014 12:22 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  My t-shirt shop. A Chinese guy wants a shirt that says "Eat more shark-fin soup" and I tell him no. He might say I am discriminating becuase he's Chinese and I'd say, no, I don't like the message and has nothing to do with you being Chinese. I think I'd win in court.

Actually, that's kind of what happened here...the t-shirt shop said it had nothing to do with the customers being gay....they just didn't like the message, and they still lost in court.

Specifically, the court said:

Quote:The Respondent argues that Mr. Adamson's objection to the printing of the t-shirt was not because of the sexual orientation of the members of the GLSO, but because of the Pride Festival's advocacy of pride in being homosexual. Acceptance of the Respondent's argument would allow a public accommodation to refuse service to an individual or group of individuals who hold and/or express pride in their status. This would have the absurd result of including person with disabilities who openly and proudly display their disabilities in the Special Olympics, persons of race or color, who are not only of differing race and color, but express pride in being so, and persons of differing religious who express pride in their religious beliefs.

So...I get what they're saying. This could open up a can of worms. Don't want to service a guy who's Chinese? Ok...just say, "Oh....it wasn't that he was Chinese, it was that I didn't like the message he wanted on the shirt."

AJ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2014, 07:12 PM
(10-10-2014 07:09 PM)AJRyan6of7 Wrote:  
(10-10-2014 12:22 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  My t-shirt shop. A Chinese guy wants a shirt that says "Eat more shark-fin soup" and I tell him no. He might say I am discriminating becuase he's Chinese and I'd say, no, I don't like the message and has nothing to do with you being Chinese. I think I'd win in court.

Actually, that's kind of what happened here...the t-shirt shop said it had nothing to do with the customers being gay....they just didn't like the message, and they still lost in court.

Specifically, the court said:

Quote:The Respondent argues that Mr. Adamson's objection to the printing of the t-shirt was not because of the sexual orientation of the members of the GLSO, but because of the Pride Festival's advocacy of pride in being homosexual. Acceptance of the Respondent's argument would allow a public accommodation to refuse service to an individual or group of individuals who hold and/or express pride in their status. This would have the absurd result of including person with disabilities who openly and proudly display their disabilities in the Special Olympics, persons of race or color, who are not only of differing race and color, but express pride in being so, and persons of differing religious who express pride in their religious beliefs.

So...I get what they're saying. This could open up a can of worms. Don't want to service a guy who's Chinese? Ok...just say, "Oh....it wasn't that he was Chinese, it was that I didn't like the message he wanted on the shirt."

AJ

Tired and reading comprehension not in full engage...so the shop won in court?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
10-10-2014, 07:14 PM
The shop lost in court.

AJ
10-10-2014, 07:44 PM
I would refuse to put anything on it that was Discrimination against anyone's sex, race, religion, nationality, sexual preference, or anything that had to do with indoctrination and fear mongering, like shirts that say repent on it or whatever.

I would refuse service to anyone who would want that stuff on a shirt.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
10-10-2014, 07:48 PM
(10-10-2014 07:14 PM)AJRyan6of7 Wrote:  The shop lost in court.

AJ

Seems FUBAR to me

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
12-10-2014, 11:33 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2014 11:38 PM by Drunkin Druid.)
What if somebody wanted a shirt that said "lynch the niggers?" Personally I'd tell the guy to fuck off. I wouldn't print that on a shirt for anyone.. Smile
Do the man come for me? Do he force me to do it?
13-10-2014, 12:49 AM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2014 12:53 AM by EvolutionKills.)
The shop lost because it is a business, and unless there is a law that makes 'gay pride' t-shirts illegal, the shop doesn't get to refuse because of their feelings. While they are a private business, they operate on the public market and make use of public goods (such as roads), and thus they don't get to refuse service because they don't like the message. Doing so would be the shop discriminating against the customer. The shop doesn't have to endorse or agree with the contents of a t-shirt, but so long as the t-shirt itself violates no laws, refusing to print the shirt on the grounds of personal disagreement is discrimination. Sorry, but when you operate a business on the open market, you forfeit your ability to take things personally like that.

(12-10-2014 11:33 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  What if somebody wanted a shirt that said "lynch the niggers?" Personally I'd tell the guy to fuck off. I wouldn't print that on a shirt for anyone.. Smile
Do the man come for me? Do he force me to do it?

A t-shirt shop could refuse to print that, and win in court, under hate crimes statutes. The message "lynch the niggers" is hate speech (and thus loses First Amendment protection), "gay pride" is not.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
13-10-2014, 03:53 AM
I propose an update to the law:

Suppliers can openly discriminate against any and all groups for whatever reason. They must also display signs / information on their premises and their websites, listing all those groups who are the target of that discrimination.

Then, let market forces do the rest.

The zeitgeist has changed sufficiently for bigotry to be a not-for-profit choice.

Pro-bigotry companies will never be able to globalise and the global companies will feel the pressure to only use anti-bigotry suppliers.

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
13-10-2014, 04:11 AM
No shoes, no shirt, no service.

Who hasn't seen that notice?

There is nothing illegal about not wearing shoes or shirts. Some places allow it, like in beach towns.

The business needs to disclose this. Put a sign on the door.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-10-2014, 04:51 AM
(13-10-2014 04:11 AM)Dom Wrote:  No shoes, no shirt, no service.

Who hasn't seen that notice?

There is nothing illegal about not wearing shoes or shirts. Some places allow it, like in beach towns.

The business needs to disclose this. Put a sign on the door.

Wrong. It's a food, health, and safety concern; and different places will have different standards and policies. They don't force people to wear shirts because they might have tattoos they possibly won't agree with.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]