Is there anything atheists would refuse to print on a t-shirt?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2014, 05:01 AM
RE: Is there anything atheists would refuse to print on a t-shirt?
True, but it is a sample of a notice that lets patrons know ahead of time what limitations there are for service.

They don't wait until you enter barefoot and then sick a bouncer on you, they tell you ahead of time what is expected.

If you are going to place restrictions on service, you should let people know.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2014, 06:07 AM
(13-10-2014 05:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  True, but it is a sample of a notice that lets patrons know ahead of time what limitations there are for service.

They don't wait until you enter barefoot and then sick a bouncer on you, they tell you ahead of time what is expected.

Are you saying the you think notification sufficient to allow any restriction at all? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-10-2014, 06:26 AM
(13-10-2014 12:49 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  The shop lost because it is a business, and unless there is a law that makes 'gay pride' t-shirts illegal, the shop doesn't get to refuse because of their feelings. While they are a private business, they operate on the public market and make use of public goods (such as roads), and thus they don't get to refuse service because they don't like the message. Doing so would be the shop discriminating against the customer. The shop doesn't have to endorse or agree with the contents of a t-shirt, but so long as the t-shirt itself violates no laws, refusing to print the shirt on the grounds of personal disagreement is discrimination. Sorry, but when you operate a business on the open market, you forfeit your ability to take things personally like that.

(12-10-2014 11:33 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  What if somebody wanted a shirt that said "lynch the niggers?" Personally I'd tell the guy to fuck off. I wouldn't print that on a shirt for anyone.. Smile
Do the man come for me? Do he force me to do it?

A t-shirt shop could refuse to print that, and win in court, under hate crimes statutes. The message "lynch the niggers" is hate speech (and thus loses First Amendment protection), "gay pride" is not.

I was under the impression that hate speech was perfectly legal in the US. I thought the First Amendment covered all freedom of expression.
At any rate I agree. I just didn't think American law agreed.
13-10-2014, 06:30 AM
(13-10-2014 06:26 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 12:49 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  The shop lost because it is a business, and unless there is a law that makes 'gay pride' t-shirts illegal, the shop doesn't get to refuse because of their feelings. While they are a private business, they operate on the public market and make use of public goods (such as roads), and thus they don't get to refuse service because they don't like the message. Doing so would be the shop discriminating against the customer. The shop doesn't have to endorse or agree with the contents of a t-shirt, but so long as the t-shirt itself violates no laws, refusing to print the shirt on the grounds of personal disagreement is discrimination. Sorry, but when you operate a business on the open market, you forfeit your ability to take things personally like that.

A t-shirt shop could refuse to print that, and win in court, under hate crimes statutes. The message "lynch the niggers" is hate speech (and thus loses First Amendment protection), "gay pride" is not.

I was under the impression that hate speech was perfectly legal in the US. I thought the First Amendment covered all freedom of expression.
Hate speech is not protected, in addition to a few others.
13-10-2014, 06:31 AM
If I owned a t-shirt shop I would not be willing to print hateful things.
13-10-2014, 08:04 AM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2014 08:07 AM by Drunkin Druid.)
(13-10-2014 06:30 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 06:26 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I was under the impression that hate speech was perfectly legal in the US. I thought the First Amendment covered all freedom of expression.
Hate speech is not protected, in addition to a few others.

I see.
Just curious but where do Klan rallies fit in there?
13-10-2014, 04:58 PM

(12-10-2014 11:33 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  What if somebody wanted a shirt that said "lynch the niggers?" Personally I'd tell the guy to fuck off. I wouldn't print that on a shirt for anyone.. Smile
Do the man come for me? Do he force me to do it?

Thumbsup

Yep, pretty much exactly my thoughts too.

It's not that I don't get the whole "It's my shop, and I can do what I want" thinking...and I agree with it on some level. But I just don't trust my other fellow Americans to do the right thing in most situations, unfortunately. Present company excluded, of course... Big Grin

AJ
13-10-2014, 05:08 PM
(13-10-2014 06:31 AM)wazzel Wrote:  If I owned a t-shirt shop I would not be willing to print hateful things.

What if it was a Tshirt that says God does not exist.

A lot of Christians would find that hateful. Unsure

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
13-10-2014, 06:45 PM
(13-10-2014 06:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 05:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  True, but it is a sample of a notice that lets patrons know ahead of time what limitations there are for service.

Are you saying the you think notification sufficient to allow any restriction at all? Consider

Good question. I was thinking along the lines that then you would have shops specialize and the ones who restrict too much would either go out of biz or become a niche enterprise.

I can see too many problems with that already, even with current laws left in place.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-10-2014, 06:38 AM
(13-10-2014 05:08 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 06:31 AM)wazzel Wrote:  If I owned a t-shirt shop I would not be willing to print hateful things.

What if it was a Tshirt that says God does not exist.

A lot of Christians would find that hateful. Unsure

That would be an interesting one. I do not find it hateful so it would probably get printed. I would probably also print "God love you" or things of that nature.