Is there anything in the bible that is falsifiable

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2017, 08:01 PM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2017 08:08 PM by Commonsensei.)
RE: Is there anything in the bible that is falsifiable
(21-01-2017 07:44 PM)cactus Wrote:  The question makes no sense. You can't falsify "a book." You can falsify very very specific claims made in that book, like "plants exist" or "snakes can talk to humans."

Aspects of the story can be tested.

But as a whole we can't.

The story and the aspects of the story, because the story exists can be demonstrated to be false. But we can't go to the garden of Eden, we can't meet Yahweh, we can't touch the magic fruit. These things are nonexistent. Figments of the imagination. I would need the Fruit of Knowledge in hand to see if it could do what the story claims. If the Fruit of Knowledge existed we can prove of disprove it's ability.

if a theory is falsifiable, it is scientific, and if not, then it is unscientific.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
21-01-2017, 08:06 PM
(21-01-2017 07:44 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  I mean isn't evolution evidence against christianity

Evolution is only an exploration for the diversity of species. It say's nothing in regards of religions.

If Christianity could demonstrate a better explanation then Evolution would be removed.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 3 users Like Commonsensei's post
21-01-2017, 08:09 PM
(21-01-2017 08:01 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(21-01-2017 07:44 PM)cactus Wrote:  The question makes no sense. You can't falsify "a book." You can falsify very very specific claims made in that book, like "plants exist" or "snakes can talk to humans."

Aspects of the story can be tested.

But as a whole we can't.

The story and the aspects of the story, because the story exists can be demonstrated to be false. But we can't go to the garden of Eden, we can't meet Yahweh, we can't touch the magic fruit. These things are nonexistent. Figments of the imagination. I would need the Fruit of Knowledge in hand to see if it could do what the story claims. If the Fruit of Knowledge existed we can prove of disprove it's ability.

You can find stories of plants and animals and humans and stars in every religion, but merely making a bad claim in antiquity which is what everyone did back then, does not demonstrate any modern working scientific knowledge of what those people claimed to observe back then.

The ancient Greeks coined the word "atom" but back then they had no clue what a proton, neutron or electron were like we do now. Back then it merely meant "smallest indivisible thing you could imagine". So the fact that we can smash atoms today would negate their antiquated definition.

You won't find any science in any holy books outside primitive math, and almost every major religion in the early days of cities and writing had their own versions of math.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
21-01-2017, 08:10 PM
(21-01-2017 07:44 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  I mean isn't evolution evidence against christianity

Any religious or spiritual story about any magical beings who "created" all life can be seen as impossible with all we know about genetics and the fossil record so it's not that evolution can disprove Genesis from the Christian Bible but the Christian Bible simply isn't adhering to facts or reality.

Evolution by itself, even in all it's complexity, is simply a natural fact based, heavily researched and investigated theory for the origins of life. It doesn't rule out any spirits having something to do with it but there has been no evidence found to prove positively that a God or magical being exists and/or had something to do with life.

So yeah evolution proves that animals and humans didn't start out exactly in our current forms so any myth or fairy tale story that masquerades as fact and includes details like " ..and then the magical wizard created all the land animals, and then the sea animals and then the humans...blah blah blah." just can't be really possible since we know not all the animals just *poofed* into existence on the same day .

So yeah the Bible does nothing to fix the logical holes in it's narrative, it's not supposed to be a science book but there is nothing about the theory of evolution that discounts a God, it's the God stories that discount evolution.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
21-01-2017, 08:18 PM
If you ask a Christian apologist they will claimed they launched the age of modern science.

If you ask a Jewish apologist they also will claim they launched the age of modern science.

If you ask a Muslim apologist they also will claim they launched the age of modern science.

If you ask a Hindu apologist they also will claim they launched the age of modern science.

If you ask a Buddhist apologist they also will claim they launched the age of modern science.

Each apologist will point to different periods of human history and say "this is where it all started".

Now it isn't that they have not made contributions, every major religion has in our species history. But what none of those apologists want to consider is that it isn't a religion or holy book doing that, but our species evolutionary trait of being curious.

No different than how an octopus can figure out how to open a jar it has never seen to get to the food inside. No different than how a cat or dog have learned that if they do certain things around you they get petted or given food.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
21-01-2017, 08:24 PM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2017 08:28 PM by Brian37.)
(21-01-2017 08:10 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  

Any religious or spiritual story about any magical beings who "created" all life can be seen as impossible with all we know about genetics and the fossil record so it's not that evolution can disprove Genesis from the Christian Bible but the Christian Bible simply isn't adhering to facts or reality.

Evolution by itself, even in all it's complexity, is simply a natural fact based, heavily researched and investigated theory for the origins of life. It doesn't rule out any spirits having something to do with it but there has been no evidence found to prove positively that a God or magical being exists and/or had something to do with life.

So yeah evolution proves that animals and humans didn't start out exactly in our current forms so any myth or fairy tale story that masquerades as fact and includes details like " ..and then the magical wizard created all the land animals, and then the sea animals and then the humans...blah blah blah." just can't be really possible since we know not all the animals just *poofed* into existence on the same day .

So yeah the Bible does nothing to fix the logical holes in it's narrative, it's not supposed to be a science book but there is nothing about the theory of evolution that discounts a God, it's the God stories that discount evolution.

No, evolution does not rule out spirits or leprechauns or Thor or Santa, humans certainly did evolve to have imaginations. But making something up that makes one feel good, only makes one feel good. On an evolutionary scale even a false belief one may buy can have a positive affect on the immune system, even if it is totally false.

All you have to do to understand how made up religion is, watch a couple of 4 or 5 year old's play in a playground with toys, or watch their favorite animated cartoon movie. Problem with most adults is that they simply never grow out of the myths their parents indoctrinate them with before they can form critical thinking skills.

21-01-2017, 08:27 PM
I'm not trying to rule out the possibility about some higher power creating existence, I'm trying to rule out the possibility that said higher power is the God of the bible
21-01-2017, 08:36 PM
(21-01-2017 08:27 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  I'm not trying to rule out the possibility about some higher power creating existence, I'm trying to rule out the possibility that said higher power is the God of the bible

How about there is no such thing? How about humans make them up?

Humans falsely project meaning into all this and science is saying that is the wrong question to look for. Science focuses on the "how" and isn't looking for a "who".

Our species was not around 4 billion years ago when our planet formed. We were not here 13.8 billion years at the start of the big bang. So what would make you think you'll have meaning 5 billion years from now?

Mind you, I don't say that to be mean, or sound fatalistic. Just the opposite. I find the universe and life on our planet much more amazing to think about and understand without a fictional human projected deity creating us like we are a factory product.

There is no meaning in the cosmic time of the universe no. Not comforting, but it is reality. The good news, is from the time you are born, to the time you die, you can create your own meaning.

Instead of looking for a who to be there, think of all this as a giant weather pattern as to which we are a temporary outcome. A result of a process, not a "who" with super powers.

21-01-2017, 08:39 PM
I can't just take someones word for it, I need compelling evidence
[+] 1 user Likes Ask21771's post
21-01-2017, 08:44 PM
(21-01-2017 07:22 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Please help me

I posted this in the Atheist / Agnostic Informational Resource Library

The Tower of Babel is one of the most clear-cut cases of the bible making a falsifiable claim. The bible's basic claim is that all languages originated in a supernatural event around 2200 BC to 1800 BC. So the basic evidence that falsifies the biblical claim is a mountain of archeological evidence that shows quite clearly and irrefutably that there were many languages that existed before that time- Egyptian, Sumerian, Hittite, etc. It's easy to verify this and it becomes quite clear how wrong the writers of this story were.

The story of the tower of Babel gives another nice mistake that is refuted in Genesis chapter 10, where it talks of cities built by Asshur and Nimrod.

I was looking at the Tower of Babel myth and I discovered the ridiculous timeline of Nimrod, Noah's great grandson and alleged builder of the city of Babel, thought I would put this here. (Doubt if I'm the only one that's noticed this)

Genesis 10:10-11:
10 And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, and Erech, and Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar. 11 Out of that land went forth Asshur, and builded Nineveh, and the city Rehoboth, and Calah, 12 and Resen between Nineveh and Calah: the same is a great city

So let's go over the list of cities:

Babel/Babylon founded in 1894 BC

Erech built/settled around 5000 BC, one myth has Gilgamesh as the founder.

Ninevah settled around 6000 BC and notable prominence in 3000 BC

Accad founded/settled around 2350-2050 BC

Calneh -unknown

Resen -unknown

I left verse 11 in there because it references Asshur, the son of Shem and cousin of Nimrod, he would've obviously been a contemporary of Nimrod and this helps specify dates and timelines based on two contemporaries.

Now let's go through the cities that Asshur founded:

Ninevah founded around 6000 BC

Rehoboth -unknown

Calah - founded in 1263-1234 BC by Shalmaneser I

So here we have date ranges for these cities of 6000 BC -1234 BC, a range of 4766 years and according to the bible, Nimrod founded all of them. Laughat

Not only does archeological records refute the ridiculous timeline, it also refutes who founded these cities.

The same writer that wrote the Babel myth (The "J" source) also wrote Genesis chapter 2, the second creation myth and wrote part of the Noahtic flood myth, which is intertwined with the "P" source. These two chuckleheads sling their silly myths throughout the entire Torah, but they start with clear and obvious errors in Genesis and thereby discredit themselves as any kind of reliable source.

They were ok myth-makers, they borrowed heavily from Babylonian myth to construct their stories, but their objective was to create a unifying myth for the Jewish people to maintain cultural identity in the wake of the Babylonian exile.

It was not intended to be an actual historical account.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post