Is there anything in the bible that is falsifiable

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2017, 08:45 PM
RE: Is there anything in the bible that is falsifiable
You go to a movie knowing it will end, but you don't fear the end of it. You don't worry about what your life was 4 billion years ago before the movie was made.

You can read a book knowing it has a last page, but you don't freeze in fear the closer you get to that last page.

Humans create gods as a false sense of comfort, a placebo, and while it does create social order, it does not make the God or god or gods real. The Ancient Egyptians falsely believed that the sun had a GOD named Ra controlling it. They were a successful society for 3,000 years, but that didn't make Ra a real God.

We should expect our species current religions to morph and split or die out long term, just like the dead ones of the past.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2017, 08:49 PM
If there's a possibility the God if the bible is real there's also the possibility that we all go to hell
Find all posts by this user
21-01-2017, 09:23 PM
(21-01-2017 08:49 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  If there's a possibility the God if the bible is real there's also the possibility that we all go to hell

Nope, newbie, there isn't.
In Hebrew culture, (the Bible) all souls, (good and bad) went to Sheol, (the Hebrew underworld). It was NOT where the heavenly host lived, and it was not hell.
I see you really don't know much about the Bible except for the indoctrination you suffered.

Paul said to "put on immortality" ... even he didn't believe in immortality for the "unsaved".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
21-01-2017, 09:28 PM
Jesus talked about hell in the bible just under a different name
21-01-2017, 09:34 PM
(21-01-2017 09:28 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Jesus talked about hell in the bible just under a different name

Prove it. Why would he talk about something his own culture didn't buy into ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
21-01-2017, 09:40 PM
Psalm 39 :
"Turn your gaze away from me, that I may smile again,
before I depart, and am no more"

Psalm 115 :
The dead do not praise the Lord,
nor do any that go down into silence".

Psalm 6 : "For in death there is no remembrance of you, in Sheol, who can give you praise ?"

And BTW, your question is backwards. Why would anyone even BEGIN to buy anything in the bible ? There is nothing in it that makes any sense, or can be proven.

22-01-2017, 01:33 AM
(21-01-2017 07:28 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Anything

Genesis 1 describes the stars as lights fixed in a solid firmament (though later, revisionist translations use softer terms like "celestial sphere"). No such firmament exists. It describes the moon as a light, when in fact it is merely another illuminated object. It describes waters above (the sky), when in fact the sky isn't water.

Genesis 2 describes Adam naming every animal in the breadth of a single day. Assume that he, somehow, assigned a single, unique syllable to every last species on Earth (ignoring that the human mouth can't produce that many different sounds), and that he spoke at 700 words per minute, beyond the current world record for fast talking, and that he never needed to stop for breath or to take a drink or even search his imagination for a good name or try to remember if he'd used some particular name before or spare an instant to consider whether they'd be a good help-meet before rejecting them. Under these humanly-impossible assumptions, he would name 1,008,000 species. ... that's just barely enough time to finish naming all the species of insect in the world.

Genesis 2 describes the Garden of Eden in the headwaters of the Euphrates, where three other rivers spill off in three other directions, and Genesis 3 tells us that there's a cherubim with a flaming sword there keeping people away from the Tree of Life. We've mapped the headwaters of the Euphrates extensively. No such place with 4 rivers flowing 4 different directions and a murderous angel with a fiery sword guarding a tree exists.

In the Noah's Flood myth, it is quite impossible to fit two of every species (plus seven of every clean species) onto the same ark. Seriously, even if you left no room for provisions or air and crammed them in like a fraternity into a phone booth, you'd need something several orders of magnitude larger than what's described in the Genesis.

That should be enough to be getting by on for now...
22-01-2017, 01:38 AM
(21-01-2017 09:28 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Jesus talked about hell in the bible just under a different name

Actually, he didn't. He mentioned "gehenna", which means the Valley of Hennom, a place where trash was burned, and which at the time was a locally-understood slang reference. Similarly today, I might refer to Detroit Rock City, and everyone today knows that I mean "rock-and-roll, the music style", but in a few hundred years someone who doesn't speak our language very well might think I mean it's a city made of stone, or a quarry site, or something.

If you would like to learn about why and how the concept of "hell" was borrowed from the pagans (mainly the Greeks, but the actual word "hell" comes from the Norse religion) and shoehorned on top of the Jesus stories, the video I'll post here covers it pretty well. It's from a Christian pastor, so you don't think I'm just citing atheist sources to you.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
22-01-2017, 02:16 AM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2017 02:25 AM by Szuchow.)
(21-01-2017 07:44 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  I mean isn't evolution evidence against christianity

Not really. Christians always could claim that it is god who made evolution possible or some other nonsense - see current stance of pope.

It invalidates genesis account but that's not real problem for religion - faithful always could claim that it was just allegory or outright ignore TE.

(21-01-2017 08:49 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  If there's a possibility the God if the bible is real there's also the possibility that we all go to hell

If there's a possibility that Odin is real there's also a possibility that we all go to Hel as not many of us will die in battle and earn ticket to Valhalla.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
22-01-2017, 02:31 AM

And anybody would want to worship such a monster because...?

Seriously. Help me here.

I can see cowering in terror but singing the praises of an all-mighty deity who sends people to eternal damnation because they don't believe? That's just fucked up.

But it's all gibberish. You're asking for falsifiable when what you need is verifiable. Is there any reason to believe that it isn't all made up? Can anybody provide you with any evidence that anything in Genesis ever happened? Aside from a few place names that match up there is absolutely no historical record for any of it.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post