Is there anything in the bible that is falsifiable

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2017, 04:57 AM
RE: Is there anything in the bible that is falsifiable
(21-01-2017 08:49 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  If there's a possibility the God if the bible is real there's also the possibility that we all go to hell

Lets skip the fact no human has ever universally proven ANY deity/God/god/gods for a second.

Now imagine the following scenarios and tell me if you think you would call this moral power or abuse of power?

You are not getting enough hours at work, you are working under staffed, you don't have enough supplies, you are under paid. You keep telling your boss about all these things but they don't respond. One day you get sick of it.

Now, you tell me, would it be ok for your boss to follow you out the door, drag you back in if you decide to leave? Would it be ok for them to threaten to murder you if you don't stay? Would it be ok for them to pour gas on you and light you on fire if you chose to quit?

Or how about this. You are walking down a suburb street past an ally, and suddenly a man jumps out stick a gun to your head.

Robber, "Ok, you got two choices. 1. Give me your wallet(believe in me), and I let you live. 2. Or you can keep your wallet, try to run away (deny I exist, and not love me) and I will shoot you dead."

How about if a spouse does that to the other?

Spouse, "I don't want to stay married to you"

Other, "Stay and I wont hurt you. Try to leave and I will murder you and pour gas on you and burn you".

Do any of the examples above sound like "love". No, GREAT! I think those are very horrible "choices" to make under threat of physical harm. Now please tell me why I would subject myself, our should subject myself to worship of a mental abuser?

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
22-01-2017, 07:51 AM
(21-01-2017 08:27 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  I'm not trying to rule out the possibility about some higher power creating existence, I'm trying to rule out the possibility that said higher power is the God of the bible

Sigh. Pascal's wager yet again. Given your responses here, I'm not sure you are telling the truth about what you're trying to do. You seem more like someone who is proceeding with the assumption that atheists are unfamiliar with the Bible, and if they just study it seeking for false information, they will soon realize that there isn't any, come to god, yada yada.

However, for the moment I'll posit the god of the bible as a given and the statements the bible attributes to that god as true. My question to you: how can you bring yourself to worship that god? Thinner skinned than Donald Trump, more murderous than Stalin and Hitler combined, creator of cancer and earthquakes and death, provider of coy coded messages and riddles so that only a few of his creations will achieve eventual universal happiness (debatable anyway that there would be happiness in eternally kissing god's ass in heaven). Why worship a being far less ethical than you are?

God should have created itself in mankind's image, not the other way around; then the universe would be a better place. (Not perfect, but better than god's universe)
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like julep's post
22-01-2017, 10:05 AM
Is there anything in the bible that is falsifiable
Genesis as of Adam and eve genetically makes it falsifiable.

The Noah story is of Genesis too which a global flood and archeological evidence of that as well as tower of babels legend is shown to be nonsense creates storytelling to explain their history by the Hebrews.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
22-01-2017, 11:05 AM
(21-01-2017 08:39 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  I can't just take someones word for it, I need compelling evidence

You should see a doctor about that.

#sigh
22-01-2017, 01:00 PM
(21-01-2017 08:27 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  I'm not trying to rule out the possibility about some higher power creating existence, I'm trying to rule out the possibility that said higher power is the God of the bible

There have been around 63,000 religions threw-out human recorded history. Each with their own interpretations of gods/goddesses.

Many of which where polytheists Or spiritualist.

I would imagine you don't care or have already ruled out many if not all of those simple because you eather A. Didn't know about them. B. Where indoctrinated into that religion that has told you this is the only one. C. Have already determined these as nothing more then fantasy.

Should the god of the bible be true. At least for me, it wouldn't be a god that would seem worthy of my worship. It retraces promises, betrays, murders, and tricks. All while trying to say these acts are to be punished for anyone else. A hypocrite.

If we are as lowly as the religions often state then it is on the god to demonstrate it's power to us. Not the other way around.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
22-01-2017, 01:07 PM

Don't forget to examine the scenario in which there actually is a higher power, and that higher power actually is the god of the Bible, and said Bible actually is that god's literal word, but that god is also sociopathic liar.
22-01-2017, 05:24 PM
(21-01-2017 07:43 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(21-01-2017 07:41 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  What about evolution

Evolution, can and has been tested.

Evolution is falsifiable.

But it doesn't make it false.
Edit: deleted because its off topic.
22-01-2017, 07:11 PM
(21-01-2017 07:22 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Please help me

The Bible unambiguously implies that pi equals 3. In particular, 1 Kings, 7:23 in the King James Bible presents it this way:

And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.

So the writer didn't even understand that you only needed to give one numerical value to determine the dimensions of a circle; either its diameter or its circumference. This shows a lack of basic mathematics knowledge. And even the Mesopotamians—of a much earlier period—had figured the approximate value for pi as 25/8 = 3.125 (v. 3.141592653589793)

—So the biblical value of pi is falsifiable.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
22-01-2017, 07:43 PM
(21-01-2017 08:39 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  I can't just take someones word for it, I need compelling evidence

Actually, you don't.
All you need is the fact that there is no evidence of the existence of any gods at all.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-01-2017, 11:29 PM
(22-01-2017 07:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Actually, you don't.
All you need is the fact that there is no evidence of the existence of any gods at all.
Which speaks to the issue of what the rational default is when there is no evidence for a thing. The rational default is unbelief. Belief should only be afforded to things that are evidenced and substantiated.

Many theists have had it so drummed into them that faith is virtuous and unbelief is a vice, that they want to default to believing in things that can't be disproven, which is exactly backwards. It's also an approach that even THEY don't advocate outside of their own religion, thought its pernicious influence tends to bleed into other areas.

If a thing can't be disproven, it's not falsifiable. If it's not falsifiable it's not provable. If it's not provable then it's not believable.
[+] 5 users Like mordant's post