Is there anything in the bible that is falsifiable

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2017, 01:20 AM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2017 05:02 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: Is there anything in the bible that is falsifiable
(21-01-2017 09:28 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Jesus talked about hell in the bible just under a different name

Who did what now?

Dude, Jesus may not even have existed; and if he did, he certainly wasn't the son of a god. Do you know anything at all about the origins of the Bible? About how it's been edited for the benefit of those in power? About how it's been mistranslated by those with agendas? About how even the oldest and best pieces that we have of it are copies created many centuries after the supposed events? That at best, estimates can get it's being written down decades after the supposed events. Decades of oral tradition, being passed along, half-remembered, and embellished by illiterate, uneducated, bronze age nomadic goat herders (assuming of course, that it's not an entirely fictitious endeavor).

There is no reason at all to think that, even if there was a man at the center of this myth, that anything attributed to him is an any way historically accurate. Anything else of note that tries to establish itself with actual verifiable and well attested history, does nothing but show just how fictional the biblical tales are (e.g. Herod's nonexistent infanticide, Pontius Pilate giving a single fuck about what the Jews wanted, Caesar supposedly taxing the world, the worldwide eclipse all other ancient peoples forgot to mention, the widespread raising of the dead in the streets of Jerusalem that everyone forgot to mention, etc.).

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
23-01-2017, 04:39 AM
Paper exists.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
23-01-2017, 05:29 AM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2017 06:43 AM by Velvet.)
(21-01-2017 08:49 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  If there's a possibility the God if the bible is real there's also the possibility that we all go to hell

You are right, there is that possibility.

There's also the possibility that he is playing with everyone's minds just for the laughs and will send everyone to hell in the end (or to heaven).

There's even the possibility that he values reason and will send everyone who blind believes in anything (including in himself) to hell, and he tests us by hiding himself and removing all the evidence for his existence, aside from being purposefully inefficient in creation to make it look like creatures slowly evolved by natural selection.

And of course the possibility that Greeks were actually right all along and Zeus is god and we are all fucking doomed for treating him like a myth.

Should I go on?
----------------------------------------
If you are trying to rule out Yahweh, you can do that by checking if any of his characteristics does logically and definitely conflicts with another.

SPOILER ALERT!: They do.

If you need more reasons to definitely rule out Yahweh's existence, read the Bible, fully. Any person who reads unbiasedly (not presupposing it is the truth) can easily come to the conclusion that it is not.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
23-01-2017, 10:58 AM
(23-01-2017 05:29 AM)Velvet Wrote:  
(21-01-2017 08:49 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  If there's a possibility the God if the bible is real there's also the possibility that we all go to hell
And of course the possibility that Greeks were actually right all along and Zeus is god and we are all fucking doomed for treating him like a myth.
This is what people invariably fail to consider. It is the same false dichotomy as Pascal's Wager. In fact Pascal's Wager is just a formalization of this existential concern.

But it is not just a question of "what if fundamentalist Christians are right about correctly understanding the nature and claims of the god of the Bible". It is also a question of "what if a tiny doomsday cult known only to a half dozen families in the Appalachian Mountains is right". It's also "what if the Oracle of Delphi was right". It's also "what if the founder of the Jehovah's Witnesses was right", which would by now imply that modern JWs are wrong. It's also "what if the Branch Davidians or the Jonestown cult were right", which would imply that no one now living is right.

It's even "what if the early Christian Gnostics were right and the orthodoxy that eventually pushed them out as heretics is the REAL heresy", "what if the Catholic church is right", etc.

It's a meaningless question and a totally misplaced concern.
23-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Look at it this way.

I have no evidence for the existence of any god, and the existence of gods as conventionally described runs contrary to pretty much every element I understand of how the world works. (Steady laws of physics vs divine intervention, brain as the seat of consciousness vs disembodied minds, etc.)

Can I prove that gods don't exist?

No.

Therefore, I put this concept of gods in a mental file folder labeled "things that I have no evidence for at all, run completely contrary to my understanding of how the world works, but can't definitively disprove."

Other occupants of this folder include leprechauns, faeries, ghosts, reincarnation, hell, and aliens traveling light years just to engage in an anal probing fetish. Believing all of these things would require believing in some contradictory things, such as ghosts, hell, and reincarnation.

I file this folder away UNDERNEATH the folder that contains unicorns, which have no evidence for them but which are not completely contrary to my understanding of how the world works.
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
23-01-2017, 01:21 PM
(21-01-2017 08:27 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  I'm not trying to rule out the possibility about some higher power creating existence, I'm trying to rule out the possibility that said higher power is the God of the bible

But it is the God of the Bible, or at least the Torah bit.

אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
24-01-2017, 04:03 AM
(23-01-2017 12:54 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Look at it this way.

I have no evidence for the existence of any god, and the existence of gods as conventionally described runs contrary to pretty much every element I understand of how the world works. (Steady laws of physics vs divine intervention, brain as the seat of consciousness vs disembodied minds, etc.)

No.

Therefore, I put this concept of gods in a mental file folder labeled "things that I have no evidence for at all, run completely contrary to my understanding of how the world works, but can't definitively disprove."

Other occupants of this folder include leprechauns, faeries, ghosts, reincarnation, hell, and aliens traveling light years just to engage in an anal probing fetish. Believing all of these things would require believing in some contradictory things, such as ghosts, hell, and reincarnation.

I file this folder away UNDERNEATH the folder that contains unicorns, which have no evidence for them but which are not completely contrary to my understanding of how the world works.

I did like this way of putting things, and will most likely be using it as one of my examples, but I would put the anal fetish aliens in the same folder as unicorns, while faster than light space travel is not really a thing yet, an entire universe with no intelligent life (aside from us) seems equally far-fetched IMHO.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
24-01-2017, 05:52 AM
(23-01-2017 05:29 AM)Velvet Wrote:  If you need more reasons to definitely rule out Yahweh's existence, read the Bible, fully. Any person who reads unbiasedly (not presupposing it is the truth) can easily come to the conclusion that it is not.

Mate. I just read it at 16. No bias.

You never read it.

Therein lies the difference.

I also studied it, became a priest and helped a huge KJV based website.

You've never taken the time to get to know us. Yet feel confident to tell us what we are not???

I ask you to read it. Cover to cover.

What do you have to lose?

It's supposed to be your GOD speaking. Yet you never read the thing?

If I was god, I'd be pissed at you.

Hellbound. Damnation here you come.

Oh, and I can use scripture to prove it.

Stop trying to overact the part.

Bad acting sucks.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
24-01-2017, 06:18 AM
(21-01-2017 07:35 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Is genesis falsifiable

Nothing is falsifiable when you factor in an eternal magician.
[+] 1 user Likes Manic's post
24-01-2017, 06:42 AM
(24-01-2017 04:03 AM)Velvet Wrote:  
(23-01-2017 12:54 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Look at it this way.

No.

I did like this way of putting things, and will most likely be using it as one of my examples, but I would put the anal fetish aliens in the same folder as unicorns, while faster than light space travel is not really a thing yet, an entire universe with no intelligent life (aside from us) seems equally far-fetched IMHO.

True, but from an economics standpoint traveling light years just to indulge a fetish is absurd.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail