Is this a case of begging the question?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2014, 02:57 PM
Is this a case of begging the question?
Hello fellow forum denizens,

I'm currently debating a theist about the morality of child murder vis a vie the Amalekite genocide. And this dude accused me of begging the question by assuming that immorality exists. The actual exchange went like this

Theist: "you are begging the question."
Me: "and how exactly am I doing that?"
Theist: "you are assuming the conclusion you are trying to prove (in this case, immorality)."

I'm totally taken aback by this. I'm not sure how to respond. I figured there was someone who would know more about philosophy than I do and tell me if this constitutes begging the question. Thanks to anyone that takes the time to reply!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2014, 03:40 PM
RE: Is this a case of begging the question?
(05-08-2014 02:57 PM)THEDEATHBERRY22 Wrote:  Hello fellow forum denizens,

I'm currently debating a theist about the morality of child murder vis a vie the Amalekite genocide. And this dude accused me of begging the question by assuming that immorality exists. The actual exchange went like this

Theist: "you are begging the question."
Me: "and how exactly am I doing that?"
Theist: "you are assuming the conclusion you are trying to prove (in this case, immorality)."

I'm totally taken aback by this. I'm not sure how to respond. I figured there was someone who would know more about philosophy than I do and tell me if this constitutes begging the question. Thanks to anyone that takes the time to reply!

Wikipedia entry on begging the question Wrote:This is an informal fallacy where the conclusion that one is attempting to prove is included in the initial premises of an argument, often in an indirect way that conceals this fact.

Can't tell exactly without seeing the original statement which is being called into question...

If it helps, you might be able to call the Argument from Fallacy on your opponent, which is basically; 'Your statement contains a fallacy, therefore it is wrong'.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
05-08-2014, 04:48 PM
We'd better hope that some form of morality exists in some shape or other.

As for begging the question; this can be tricky, even in very specific cases....

Consider the prosecutor remarking to the defendant------" Is it true that you've stopped beating your wife"
05-08-2014, 06:16 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2014 06:36 PM by THEDEATHBERRY22.)
I'd invite all interested parties to check out the conversation on twitter @nodegree and @preachingchrist. I will warn in advance that I did get fairly nasty with the guy because whitewashing genocide is not something I take lightly.