Is this a good argument against Creationists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2015, 07:41 AM
RE: Is this a good argument against Creationists?
(14-06-2015 07:40 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Just look within Genesis itself to find the contrary to this with Noah and Adam living like 900 years.

Yep.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2015, 08:14 AM
An argument is only good if it accomplishes the intended goal, and since creationists are irrational in regards to their view on the topic a rational argument is by default not a good one.

That's my pessimistic opinion anyway Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
14-06-2015, 08:21 AM
Yeah take it from a former member of Landover Baptist Church, where the worthwhile worship. Back in those days I studied the bible every day in order to fight it. But these clueless dolts WANT to believe and will bend into any shape that allows it.

All we can do is perhaps sow a small seed of doubt. But we must not be confrontational.

Now of course after so many years my patience is gone and I am happy to call them idiots and tell them to fuck off. I do NOT visit religious sites. Never did. They always came to me.

I did deconvert two Catholic priests, but in person in general conversation. This was some time ago. I no longer have the stomach for it.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
15-06-2015, 06:55 AM
If people living for over 900 years, talking serpents and magical fruit doesn't make them question the truth of it, then nothing will. It's hard to get more ridiculous than that.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
15-06-2015, 10:59 AM
(14-06-2015 07:40 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Just look within Genesis itself to find the contrary to this with Noah and Adam living like 900 years.

Well, not quite. The "120 years" quote is from chapter 6. I'm pretty sure all the people who lived 900 years were before that. So no contradiction -- God just changed his mind.

I'm not saying Genesis isn't bullshit -- it clearly is -- but this isn't the reason why.
16-06-2015, 10:27 AM
(14-06-2015 03:01 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years."

So god said no one can live past 120, 120 is the maximum life span for any human.

Or he meant that they had 120 years until the flood came and destroyed them. It might have taken that long for Noah to build the ark.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes theophilus's post
16-06-2015, 03:06 PM
(14-06-2015 03:01 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Creationists say that the Bible is completely infallible and 100% true. Genesis is their most holy part of the book.

umm...first off.

They would agree with this statement.

Genesis 6:3

Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years."

So god said no one can live past 120, 120 is the maximum life span for any human.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Calment

So, what would they have to say about that? 120 = the end...+2=still alive does not compute. There are currently a dozen or so people who are pushing 110+

In all fairness, that verse is probably talking about how many years Adam has left on earth. Adam literally means "man" and the ba-a-dam here is more correctly translated as "Man" or "the man Adam"; likewise, the pronouns are more correctly translated as "he" and "his" instead of "they" and "their".

One of the most accurate Bible translations (Darby's) translates it as:

And Jehovah said, My Spirit shall not always plead with Man; for he indeed is flesh; but his days shall be a hundred and twenty years

On a side note, if you're going to analyze scripture, don't use the NIV or any other dynamic translation. Use Darby's or the NASB or some other literal translation.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
17-06-2015, 11:49 AM
(16-06-2015 03:06 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  On a side note, if you're going to analyze scripture, don't use the NIV or any other dynamic translation. Use Darby's or the NASB or some other literal translation.

But KC, don't you know? You're not supposed to take it literally.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
17-06-2015, 04:58 PM
(16-06-2015 03:06 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(14-06-2015 03:01 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Creationists say that the Bible is completely infallible and 100% true. Genesis is their most holy part of the book.

umm...first off.

Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years."

So, what would they have to say about that? 120 = the end...+2=still alive does not compute. There are currently a dozen or so people who are pushing 110+

In all fairness, that verse is probably talking about how many years Adam has left on earth. Adam literally means "man" and the ba-a-dam here is more correctly translated as "Man" or "the man Adam"; likewise, the pronouns are more correctly translated as "he" and "his" instead of "they" and "their".

One of the most accurate Bible translations (Darby's) translates it as:

And Jehovah said, My Spirit shall not always plead with Man; for he indeed is flesh; but his days shall be a hundred and twenty years

On a side note, if you're going to analyze scripture, don't use the NIV or any other dynamic translation. Use Darby's or the NASB or some other literal translation.

Years were longer then because the earth was farther from the sun.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
17-06-2015, 08:09 PM

umm...first off.

I fail to see the critique.