Is this a real scam?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2014, 07:10 AM
RE: Is this a real scam?
(07-09-2014 05:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  Yabbut, it's costly to monitor all purchases and contact card holders every time an unusual purchase is made. I have had significant issues with this - like one time I took my staff to Vegas for a meeting, and when I charged the rooms the card issuer blocked my card because it might be fraud. I then had to get on the phone with them to straighten things out, which took forever. Meanwhile my staff, some of whom had long trips behind them, had to huddle in the lobby waiting. Not a good kick off for my meetings, and it cost the card issuer time and money to deal with it and me. In the past 5 years I have had to take up their time confirming purchases at least 20 times. This might not happen with people who always pay at the same gas station and restaurants and what have you, who have a predictable pattern. As soon as a card holder does something new, the issuers have incurred a cost. It makes no frigging sense.

OMFG it used to happen to me regularly. I guess I cursed out enough people over it and threatened to leave enough that now my ' normal' travel area is the whole US. It was too big brother for me when they asked me questions about where I was going, when I was going to return . I damn new blew a blood vessel in my brain screaming at them. Haven't had that problem in a few years now.

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
07-09-2014, 09:20 PM
(07-09-2014 05:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(06-09-2014 10:44 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Simple, because replacing all of the old mag readers with newer ones would have been too costly, and why should businesses bend over backwards to protect consumers? So much for the free market fixing this shit, somebody better not tell Lumi... Dodgy

Yabbut, it's costly to monitor all purchases and contact card holders every time an unusual purchase is made. I have had significant issues with this - like one time I took my staff to Vegas for a meeting, and when I charged the rooms the card issuer blocked my card because it might be fraud. I then had to get on the phone with them to straighten things out, which took forever. Meanwhile my staff, some of whom had long trips behind them, had to huddle in the lobby waiting. Not a good kick off for my meetings, and it cost the card issuer time and money to deal with it and me. In the past 5 years I have had to take up their time confirming purchases at least 20 times. This might not happen with people who always pay at the same gas station and restaurants and what have you, who have a predictable pattern. As soon as a card holder does something new, the issuers have incurred a cost. It makes no frigging sense.

Simple Dom, because they've crunched the numbers and it's still cheaper for them to make you waste time and jump through hoops for their bullshit, then it is to get everyone to update their tech. Would it probably be cheaper in the long run? I don't know. Would it be better for consumers? Most assuredly. But what is best for the immediate profits of the shareholders? Maintaining the status quo.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
08-09-2014, 10:41 AM
(07-09-2014 09:20 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 05:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  Yabbut, it's costly to monitor all purchases and contact card holders every time an unusual purchase is made. I have had significant issues with this - like one time I took my staff to Vegas for a meeting, and when I charged the rooms the card issuer blocked my card because it might be fraud. I then had to get on the phone with them to straighten things out, which took forever. Meanwhile my staff, some of whom had long trips behind them, had to huddle in the lobby waiting. Not a good kick off for my meetings, and it cost the card issuer time and money to deal with it and me. In the past 5 years I have had to take up their time confirming purchases at least 20 times. This might not happen with people who always pay at the same gas station and restaurants and what have you, who have a predictable pattern. As soon as a card holder does something new, the issuers have incurred a cost. It makes no frigging sense.

Simple Dom, because they've crunched the numbers and it's still cheaper for them to make you waste time and jump through hoops for their bullshit, then it is to get everyone to update their tech. Would it probably be cheaper in the long run? I don't know. Would it be better for consumers? Most assuredly. But what is best for the immediate profits of the shareholders? Maintaining the status quo.

Yabut, explain why it is only the U.S. that is not using smart cards? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post