Is this almost the perfect religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2016, 03:05 PM
Is this almost the perfect religion?
I am not a Christian, but I want to believe in God so bad. I can name dozens and dozens of errors in the bible; such as smashing babies against the rocks (Psalms 137:9), mauling 42 little children for making fun of a bald man (2 Kings 2:23-24), and forcing a rape victim to marry the rapist (Deuteronomy 22:28-29). I can't make myself believe it.

So I knew about this religion called Baha'i and I've been studying it for a while. It's a monotheistic religion and it's almost perfect. I only noticed TWO errors in the entire book, but I'm not sure if they are errors. The first one says that all possessions of the deceased go to the first born male and not female. My brain automatically thinks of sexism, but I'm not so sure. I know about kings and queens giving their deceased possessions to the first male. I'm not sure if it's tradition or sexism.

The second error says not to take more than two wives, BUT one will only be happy with one wife or none. I still don't know what to think.

Before you guys rant, those were the ONLY errors I found in the book. It doesn't say to stone people for picking up sticks, or kill gays. Are these really errors?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2016, 03:11 PM
RE: Is this almost the perfect religion?
Well, I looked at it on wikipedia and it states that there's a god. So there's that error right off the bat.
[+] 7 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
03-05-2016, 03:11 PM
Not sure what you mean by errors. In a holy text my idea of something erroneous would be two moral pronouncements which contradict each other and therefore can't both be true; or statements about an event that never happened or did not happen as described. What you're talking about are customs or traditions you disagree with. That doesn't make them errors, just perhaps bad ideas.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
03-05-2016, 03:13 PM
It's mainly just a religious copout religion to say all of the world's religious beliefs were partially true but missing the bigger picture or sky message. It's nowhere perfect or closer to any established truth of the nature of things.

Why must I be Ladd? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
03-05-2016, 03:14 PM
(03-05-2016 03:05 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  I am not a Christian, but I want to believe in God so bad.

Why? Seems to me it would make more sense to figure this out, first. How can you recognize what you're looking for unless you know why you're looking?

And why are you asking atheists to help you find a god?

Oh crap!
[+] 1 user Likes jabeady's post
03-05-2016, 03:17 PM
As religious dogma goes, not stoning people for their sexuality is better than some of the major religions - but if all religion means to you is a list of things you're not supposed to do; why not come up with a list yourself and skip the religion altogether?
03-05-2016, 03:22 PM
I'd say you have found a slightly less objectionable religion, not a perfect one.
03-05-2016, 04:25 PM
(03-05-2016 03:05 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  I am not a Christian
Are you a Muslim, a Jew, a Hindu, a Wickan, a Maori, a deist? or what?

(03-05-2016 03:05 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  but I want to believe in God so bad.
Which god is it that you want to believe it?

Do you want to find god and interact with it, or are you merely happy just believing that it exists somewhere?
How would beleiving in its existance impact your day to day life?

(03-05-2016 03:05 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  I can name dozens and dozens of errors in the bible;
Seems that you are gravitating towards Christianity and the bible?
Do you want to believe in a god or do you want to belong to the Christian exclusive group?
Seems to me that you want to be a Christian but have major hurdles to overcome, such as their religious text and various interpretations.
(03-05-2016 03:05 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  I can't make myself believe it.

Why do you want to believe it? What is it that entices you towards Christianity in particular?
(03-05-2016 03:05 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  So I knew about this religion called Baha'i and I've been studying it for a while. It's a monotheistic religion and it's almost perfect.
Interesting, does "perfect" mean that it addresses the items that you want to have in a religious belief system?
What are those items?
(03-05-2016 03:05 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  I only noticed TWO errors in the entire book, but I'm not sure if they are errors. The first one says that all possessions of the deceased go to the first born male and not female. My brain automatically thinks of sexism, but I'm not so sure. I know about kings and queens giving their deceased possessions to the first male. I'm not sure if it's tradition or sexism.
The system has changed recently for the Commonwealth royals. In future it will be the first born, not just male. I suspect they give all to one because otherwise the wealth will disapate over the generations, the castle will have to be sold and the money distributed to all the kids. You would eventually have a poor King or Queen living in a very modest house/apartment or flatting.

BUT, my question to you.
Why do you need your religion to tell you what to do with your assets? Can't you decide for yourself what to do? Is that what you need from your religion? Do you find life's decisions a bit daunting and hence you want an authority to tell you what to do?
(03-05-2016 03:05 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  The second error says not to take more than two wives, BUT one will only be happy with one wife or none. I still don't know what to think.
Perhaps think for yourself. Make up your own mind as to whether you want to get married or not, have children or not. Just bear in mind that in most countries it is illegal to have more than one wife. If you go against the law that may have adverse affects on your life.
I would think that if you want one and only one wife then that would fit within the guidance of this Baha'i religion that you speak of. So doesn't seem to be a problem for you does it?

But my main question, why do you want a religion?
Do you need a set of rules and guidelines above what the law provides?
Do you not feel comfortable making your own life decisions?
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
03-05-2016, 04:26 PM
This sounds like the perfect religion for liberals.
03-05-2016, 04:43 PM
I don't think there's a perfect religion...